Brand New to This Forum and LX470's! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ever read any Ansel Adams books - thinking of getting a roof rack? I remember seeing pics of him setting up on top of some vehicle with his view camera back in the day - either a Suburban, an International harvester or similar.
Yea, I actually count Ansel as a major reason that I love photography. Plus, I actually know a colleague that has a similar rig. But he has a hydraulic platform that takes him 16 feet in the air. It also has hydraulic feet that bury themselves on all four corners of the truck to keep the platform from moving. He does amazing night shots of oil rigs for the oil and gas industry. Pretty cool to say the least!!!

It got dropped off at the painter's today!!! It will look like a new truck in about three weeks...hopefully. Pics will follow!

It's been a while but I figured that I would update the outcome of the new look. Sorry still no extra offroad goodies but at well over $4k for paint, I'm good for a while! I absolutely love the color now that it's fresh and new. It is the only one I've seen this color in person and the only one I've seen all this color anywhere! Including the interwebs. I love how much the color can change given the lighting.

It really needs some sliders though! (and bumpers, and a snorkel, and a rack, lol) Any of you guys out there that make bumpers and such want an amazing looking product model? Will work for goodies!!!!! Just sayin' :)

20161006_184209.jpg
20161006_184313.jpg
20161006_184451.jpg
20161006_184557.jpg
20161006_184615.jpg

Welcome, from another Houstonian and recent 100 owner.

My 100 is from AZ and would really benefit from some paint work.

Your truck looks great - are you happy with the shop you used?

Tim

Welcome, from another Houstonian and recent 100 owner.

My 100 is from AZ and would really benefit from some paint work.

Your truck looks great - are you happy with the shop you used?

Tim
Thanks and welcome yourself! Yes, I'm very happy with the paint job. I'm not too happy about how long it took but I wanted it to be better than o.e. and that took a while. I have known the painter for about 18 yrs. He has painted quite a few things for me and mine. He does not do complete paint jobs anymore though. He did mine because of our past but I doubt seriously he would ever do anyone else's. All I can tell you is to be prepared for the prices. The 100s are big! Lots of labor and materials and wow the paints can get expensive. I went to a couple of other trusted places in town and was only able to talk one other shop into even quoting me. Master Auto Body on Harwin is one of the best shops in town. They are WAY better than the dealer. It will cost around $5k for a high quality re-spray though. I would not invest that kind of money unless you are like me and just like perfection.

Thanks! It really elevates the ride to a higher level!

Good looking paint job. I believe the correct designation is Smoky Topaz Mica (not pearl) or at least that is what my 99 LX is.

Amazing how different the 'hue' is in different light. In full sunlight it looks MUCH lighter in color than in low light..at which time it takes on a much darker and richer look.

Nice LX!

Last edited:
Nice looking LX man,

Wow that color looks great also. Compliments the black wheels as well.

Can I ask if you searched for a 100 before you ended up in the LX and what was your deciding factor(s) in going Lexus?

Thanks! I did search for quite some time. I have been in both and the Lexus is just much nicer. I live in the middle of Houston and even if I went out to the trails everyday I would still be on the pavement 80% of the time. Just because of the time spent getting to the trails. The LX is a much smoother ride. It comes with just about all of the extra options that you could have with the lc like the leather, rear ac, etc. Then it also comes with stuff you can't get on the lc like seat memory, motorized folding mirrors (very handy on the trails), and obviously auto height control. I drive around pretty fast and really like the fact that I can cruise in the neutral height and feel better planted to the ground. Then I can just raise it when I need to on the trail. It's the best of both worlds. Now full disclaimer if you are building a purpose built off-road rig, you might want to replace the ahc with a standard set-up. If you were to break the ahc on the trail you may have a very difficult time getting off the trail stuck in low! I have never had an issue nor has any of my friends that own lx's but I have heard of it happening. Good luck in whatever you end up with!

From one newb to another, welcome ! I just found an lx470 here in h-town (1999 138k miles) and snapped it up as my truck. Only a couple days of ownership, but amazing build quality for its age ( beats the fjcruiser I used to own). Yours looks like one nice ride!

From one newb to another, welcome ! I just found an lx470 here in h-town (1999 138k miles) and snapped it up as my truck. Only a couple days of ownership, but amazing build quality for its age ( beats the fjcruiser I used to own). Yours looks like one nice ride!
Thx! Pics?

Thanks! I did search for quite some time. I have been in both and the Lexus is just much nicer. I live in the middle of Houston and even if I went out to the trails everyday I would still be on the pavement 80% of the time. Just because of the time spent getting to the trails. The LX is a much smoother ride. It comes with just about all of the extra options that you could have with the lc like the leather, rear ac, etc. Then it also comes with stuff you can't get on the lc like seat memory, motorized folding mirrors (very handy on the trails), and obviously auto height control. I drive around pretty fast and really like the fact that I can cruise in the neutral height and feel better planted to the ground. Then I can just raise it when I need to on the trail. It's the best of both worlds. Now full disclaimer if you are building a purpose built off-road rig, you might want to replace the ahc with a standard set-up. If you were to break the ahc on the trail you may have a very difficult time getting off the trail stuck in low! I have never had an issue nor has any of my friends that own lx's but I have heard of it happening. Good luck in whatever you end up with!

I was looking for a nice, clean straight up Land Cruiser, but found so MANY more LX470's in Houston to choose from, with lower mileage and up to $2000.00 LESS than the LC's I was finding. So...what the heck, went with the LX.

Mine had two previous owners, pretty good service records, a lady had it nearly all its life and it apparently was garaged, neat as a pin inside and out. Absolutely NO rust on it either.

I was looking for a nice, clean straight up Land Cruiser, but found so MANY more LX470's in Houston to choose from, with lower mileage and up to $2000.00 LESS than the LC's I was finding. So...what the heck, went with the LX.

Mine had two previous owners, pretty good service records, a lady had it nearly all its life and it apparently was garaged, neat as a pin inside and out. Absolutely NO rust on it either.

Congrats! Welcome to the minority! Enjoy your ride!

Hi HaiiroKuma,

I like your wheels and your tyres, so I’m planning to get the exact same ones as you!
I’m probably on the pavement 80% of the time, so I’d probably give the Nitto Trail Grapplers a miss

Do those tyres and wheels fit without a lift kit?

What size life do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom