From a mechanical reliability perspective, J80 or 4runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like others have stated, if you have to ask, you probably don't want an 80, especially if you can't do any of your own maintenance. At the end of the day, it really is a labour of love for those that frequent this forum.

My opinion would be; aily driver, 4 runner will cost less overall if that's a concern, cheaper fixes. Expedition vehicle, the 80 is more capable and has more space, and you will love it. Combining both, look for an early 100/LX470 and it could be your compromise, and can be found formunder $10k.

I don't find my 80's maintenance budget to be excessively onerous. For a look at the real cost of ownership of an 80, please see this thread I started.

Have read this elsewhere as well, that a J100 would potentially be more similar to a 3rd/4th gen 4runner in maintenance costs and parts availability.

So far I seem to be headed in the direction of a 4runner after all of your comments. However I have not really considered a J100. Do you guys think I would necessarily fare better maintenance wise with a J100 over a J80, assuming both purchased around 200k miles?

uzj100 is going to have a much higher initial purchase price.

It sounds like the 4runner would be a compromise for you and the 80 is what you really want. If you go 4runner you'll probably spend a lot of time thinking about "what could have been."

I agree with some of the other posters in this thread in that the cost of overall ownership of an 80 is actually not that bad compared to many other vehicles, when spread out over long periods of time. That said, it will have substantial up front costs to get it up to speed. It is a 20+ year old flagship vehicle, there's no getting around it. Once that money is spent though it will be very reliable and relatively inexpensive from there.

Personally, every so often I'll have some serious thoughts about just saying 'fxxx it' and buying a brand new tacoma or lightly used 200...but then I get in my 80, fire it up, and those feelings wash away. 80s are special and once you own one you'll understand it.

Make sure to test drive the 4runner first. If you drive the 80 series first, your search will be over :D

Also, if you are savvy and buy your vehicles right, and don't care for the choice you made after purchase, just sell it and buy the other rig.

Have read this elsewhere as well, that a J100 would potentially be more similar to a 3rd/4th gen 4runner in maintenance costs and parts availability.

So far I seem to be headed in the direction of a 4runner after all of your comments. However I have not really considered a J100. Do you guys think I would necessarily fare better maintenance wise with a J100 over a J80, assuming both purchased around 200k miles?

uzj100 is going to have a much higher initial purchase price.

Not to mention the cost of the Tommy Bahama shirts that are required when owning a 100...

Best advise up above, test drive test drive test drive. Get a feel for the differences, etc. A 100, I guess depends on market, could be had under $10K and well under 200K miles. I have never driven or owned one, so just speaking from what I have read or heard from other owners and the Expedition Journal writeup (Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles). I still love my 80.

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser Base for sale
Toyota Land cruiser
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser
1999 LEXUS LX470- MECHANIC SELLING- TIMING BELT DONE

I'd try both of them out and see which one you like better. I'm sure there's someone here on Mud that can give you a test drive in either one locally. If you were in my area I'd say take it out for a day and tell me what you think, with the caveat that it came back with a full tank of gas and no dents.

I have to admit I bought the first 80 that I ever test drove about 1.5 years ago, having previously only ridden in one back when I was a teenager in the 90's. I've driven 4 runners, GX470s' 100 series cruisers, etc and was one of those guys that fell for the 80, hard. I'm also the type (like many on here) that does my own maintenance and repairs to the extent I'm able. If that's not a option or a desire the 80 probably isn't the best choice (unless you have $$$).

If I was looking for more of a "point and shoot" vehicle I probably would have ended up with a 100 series. They take some flack from the 80 group but are solid rigs, albeit at a much higher purchase price.

No doubt about it, if I could have a collection of each series of Cruiser I would. Unfortunately I can't, so I don't.

Different series then what op asked about but my daily is a 4th gen v8 4runner...it handles better, faster, smoother ride, more comfortable, stops better, better gas mileage
But I still like driving the 80 better

the 80 hasn't really cost that much to maintain either

Best advise up above, test drive test drive test drive. Get a feel for the differences, etc. A 100, I guess depends on market, could be had under $10K and well under 200K miles. I have never driven or owned one, so just speaking from what I have read or heard from other owners and the Expedition Journal writeup (Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles). I still love my 80.

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser Base for sale
Toyota Land cruiser
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser
1999 LEXUS LX470- MECHANIC SELLING- TIMING BELT DONE
Seems like 80s and 100s are basically the same price these days...

I've had two 80 series, a 2nd gen T4R, a 3rd gen, and a GX470. My current ride is the LX450 to replace the GX470 that was totaled by a drunk driver.

I miss the V8 power and comfort of the GX. Both of the 4Runners where great, took me where I wanted to go, and sipped fuel compared to the 80's.

The 80's have cost me the most in maintenance and fuel, but I love them either way.

If I could choose only one based on my heart: 60 and I mean 60 not 62. If I could chose only one based on my wallet, 3rd gen 4Runner, and preferably 99+ due to the cup holders (not a joke).

I fought this decision too. I got a 3Rd Gen because the fuel mileage is better, and the independent front suspension holds me back from doing too many mods(I have a problem taking mods too far until I need a daily driver because my daily driver is too modded to be a daily driver) It was a black and gold 99 limited with rear e-locker. Even still, I added sr5 sport outer trim, a small lift, supercharger with meth injection and 7th injector and 2" pulley, double din GPS and backup camera, redone seat leather, projector retrofit hid lights, and a air fuel ratio and boost Gauge. I've spent considerable time and money baselining. I keep it in good shape within reason. The other reasons I got a 3rd Gen as a daily, if I get in a wreck, it's just a 3Rd Gen and I can find more easily, it also has 2wd, awd, 4wd, 4wd low, and 4wd low rear locked for drive options. This is good enough to get me through most of the bad snow storms in Colorado. This is it when I bought it:
00L0L_fBuIO2ZFCR1_600x450.jpg

And what it looks like now:
IMG_20160910_140612268_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160622_185429421.jpg

IMG_20150924_235226.jpg

IMG_20160613_174715434.jpg

Not an 80, but if I don't want to use my wheelin rig, this will still get me some places and enough room to sleep in the back.

Last edited:
White Stripe that's a great looking T4R you've built!

Alright everyone thanks for talking some sense into me. I took a look at some of the cost of ownership threads in the J100 section as well and it seems a similar story. It took a while to get into my head that just because I'm buying a sub-$10k vehicle, it doesn't mean that I'm paying for sub-$10k vehicle maintenance. These LCs are flagship vehicles and have flagship maintenance costs that only seem to go up as the odometer does

Looks like I'll be looking for a third-gen T4R! Now if only I can find one with the Manual 5-speed. Of the 250 listings 200 miles around me, there is only a SINGLE one with a manual Trans... and it's rusted to hell

I love my 80, but like I have mentioned in other threads like this one my 3rd gen 4R is a really close 2nd and enjoy DD'n it. The 80 takes some more care IME. The 4R just runs like a top and have done nothing to it in 3yrs other than fluid changes and the PS belt. It's '99 w/ the 3.4.

White Stripea's a great lookin4R you've built!

Alrightavail thanks for talking some sense into me. I took a look at some of the cost of ownership threads in the J100 section as well and it seems a similar story. It took a while to get into my head that just because I'm buying a sub-$10k vehicle, it doesn't mean that I'm paying for sub-$10k vehicle maintenance. These LCs are flagship vehicles and have flagship maintenance costs that only seem to go up as the odometer does

Looks like I'll be looking for a third-gen T4R! Now if only I can find one with the Manual 5-speed. Of the 250 listings 200 miles around me, there is only a SINGLE one with a manual Trans... and it's rusted to hell

Come to Colorado to buy a 4runner. We have the best ones here. Yes that's a trip for u, but it's a vehicle, not a pint of ice cream.
Here's a example I found in like 5 seconds:
1999 4Runner Highlander Edition 5spd manual
Personally, I would not get a 5 speed because they are only available in the sr5 trim. The automatics are extremely reliable and durable. The limited has some nice stuff and doesn't really cost more pricewise. I would get a 99 or 2000. 2001 went to electronic brakes. In 99 they went to the multi mode tcase as an option.
This is the one I would get:
2000 Toyota 4runner Limited, Silver
Put a supercharger on it, a sr5 hood scoop hood, and a lift if u want a lift, and your set.

White Stripe that's a great looking T4R you've built!

Alright everyone thanks for talking some sense into me. I took a look at some of the cost of ownership threads in the J100 section as well and it seems a similar story. It took a while to get into my head that just because I'm buying a sub-$10k vehicle, it doesn't mean that I'm paying for sub-$10k vehicle maintenance. These LCs are flagship vehicles and have flagship maintenance costs that only seem to go up as the odometer does

If u really want a manual though...
Black 2000 4runner manual 7000 obo
These are extremely rare, especially in sport trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom