VVTi or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

why do people worry about toyotas cam timing thing? It's been around for decades, in all manufacturers, and it's not going away. Are people going to limit themselves to NO variable anything regarding cams and intake/exhaust? sounds silly to me.
This is like the OBD1 forum hype in 1996. Too much forum hype.
Engines are going to change, change with them, or be dead.
I would appreciate though if all 06 and 07 4.7 toyotas tanked in value. I'd like another one.
SO, carry on.

Reactions: jLB
I have 01 and 07 LX and both are great. I prefer the way the 07 drives with the VVTi power. I tend to maintain my vehicles well, so I am not going to be pushing it on timing belt. That said, the big factor on these vehicles is the torque. The 5 spd in the 04 gives better torque utilization than the 01 4 spd; so the difference between the two would be much less with 04 and 06 than I experience with 01 to 07. I would go with the one that seems like the best fit; both are great.

IMG_2308.JPG
Well, after comparing the two and of course driving both, the '04 will stay and the '06 is going to a friend. The subtle changes made a huge difference in my opinion...so much so, that the white is starting to grow on me:).

Thank you all for the great advice and swaying responses!! I think I made the best decision for our family.

I probably would've made the same choice, good call on keeping the '06 wheels.

I have the exact same truck in exactly the same color and also a 2006 model. It currently has 166k miles and the thing is flawless. It's an incredibly smooth truck. Not one issue in 10k miles of weekend driving (she's my third car). The VVTI head kicks ass and the hydraulic suspension is smooth as butter. Maybe I'm just lucky guy. It did have a s*** ton of miles when I got her. The PO wrecked it at 92k miles (head-on with airbag deployment and front subframe replacement). He then drove it for 60k miles and I got it from one of those chinese export dealers in El Monte, CA. I took a huge chance but I checked the records on toyotaowners.com and the car had an extensive service history. So far so good. Not one issue. Everything works like the day it left the factory. I vote for the 2006!
the export doesnt happen to be J&R

the export doesnt happen to be J&R

Don't really recall. It was owned by a Chinese couple who exported 100s to Russia, Mongolia and China. The lady was kind of shady. Having said that, they sent it to the dealer for inspection, were upfront with vehicle history, let me drive it extensively and behaved very professionally, overall. I knew I was taking a huge chance but the vehicle only had one PO and the service records were impeccable! He bought those POS Grand Treks from the selling dealer three times! What an idiot! So far so good, guys. I'm in love with the truck. All she's needed is to shed the Dunlops for a set of KO2s. All fluids have been replaced and she has never put a drop of anything on the driveway. I have you guys to thank for filling this place up with so much wonderful info. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom