Prefered Oil filter for an F2 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm sure some will say "the cheapest one that fits" - but I'm curious what some think about an appropriate brand for the conditions.
I'm looking @ bosch - Fram - wix.... Seems like the Toyota one is shorter now (not sure if some still only stick with this one regardless?)

I recall ready a recommendation for a Napa gold one that is made by wix. I use those big boys on both my 60 and my forty. The specific model # is escaping me, I think it's maybe like 5050 or 5015. Quick search should clear it up. Hope this helps

honestly, anything that screws on that hole will do a good enough of a job.
this is a low reving low stress engine, not a high tolerance, high reving race engine.

Wix #51515 if I remember correctly - it cross references to the Fram PH8A big filter . Have used that size for years for the standard 3/4-16 thread nipple on most engines from Chrylser down to my old Samurai running in stock configuration and later with a remote filter . Excellent filter and on smaller engines/pans adds a lot of capacity .
Sarge

anyone else???

To each, their own...basically as @brian stated above.

I'm not advocating any brands or model numbers regarding this subject, but these are what I use. The oil & filter were recommended by the engine builder.
img_4155-jpg.1291801

Napa Gold 1515 is the closest to the old "big" Land Cruiser filter. And even though it's a Wix filter, it's usually less expensive than the identical Wix filter.

Last spring the Napa GOlds were on sale for 1/2 price and I bought a bunch.

The venerable Toyota 90915-YZZD3 oil filter is officially used in the following vehicles:

Sequoia
Tacoma
4Runner
Tundra
FZJ80 & 100 Series Land Cruiser

Their application list doesn't go back far enough to include their dinosaur LCs.
Certainly it would be fine for a 2F.

Attachments

• 06_OilFilters2014_Final.pdf
    698.1 KB · Views: 182
I figure technology wise the D3 is superior to the dinosaur filter that originally came on our Cruisers. The Tacoma and 4Runner use the 90915-YZZD1 but I use the D3 because it is the same size base.

@FJ40Jim sez:

No, not the little OEM filter.
The BIG Wix 51773 filter for dump truck & forklift application.

and

For a mid-life 2F my recommendation is cheap 15W40 diesel oil and a small bottle of Zinc additive.
Use the big Wix filter.
Change once a year or 5000miles.
Oil brands don't matter much, since they are all rated CJ or SN.

Glad u jumped in with the correct number... I new there was a 5 and/or 1 in there somewhere...My darn lesdixia is acting up!

Napa Gold 1515 is the closest to the old "big" Land Cruiser filter. And even though it's a Wix filter, it's usually less expensive than the identical Wix filter.

Last spring the Napa GOlds were on sale for 1/2 price and I bought a bunch.

The Wix 51773 is prolly the 'best' filter (10 micron filtration vs. 30u for stock) but it is quite tall vs. stock.

Baldwin / Hastings make equivalent filters to the 51773.

But really, for a 2F, any top-tier filter (Bosch, Wix, Purolator, Denso, Motorcraft, etc.) will be fine. More important is proper zddp level oil and frequent changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom