80 series tool kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My kit has the following:
8-17mm box wrenches; 10, 12, 14, 17mm ratcheting wrenches; 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6mm Hex keys, 9-17 3/8 sockets; 54mm socket, small and large dikes; long 45 degree needle nose pliers, channel lock pliers, duck bill snap-ring pliers, phillips and flathead screwdrivers, hacksaw, small hammer, chisel, 15 and 17mm flare nut wrenches, crescent wrench, 6" 3/8 ratchet, 24" 1/2 extendable ratchet, 6" ratchet extension, electrical tape, teflon tape, duct tape, rescue tape, 14 gauge wire, quick steel epoxy, box cutter, latex gloves, mechanic gloves, zip ties, LED work light, and an assortment of hose clamps and spare 10, 12, and 14mm bolts.

I'm sure there are things that couldn't be accomplished with this kit. However, it has worked well for me and gotten several other vehicles back on the road in fairly remote locations.

I have found most people that have the knowledge to do there own repairs already have a kit in place and those who dont rely on others. Any tools good or bad are worthless if you dont know how to do repairs.

Any tools, good or bad, are great to have because it gives an opportunity for someone with the skill to help you. I've ridden shotgun on a few runs because my truck was down. And just knowing the person I was with had tools made me feel better.

It's like carrying a first aid kit. Sure maybe you don't know what to do but someone you are with might.

Any tools, good or bad, are great to have because it gives an opportunity for someone with the skill to help you. I've ridden shotgun on a few runs because my truck was down. And just knowing the person I was with had tools made me feel better.

It's like carrying a first aid kit. Sure maybe you don't know what to do but someone you are with might.

Nice thing you mentioned in another post - most of the bolts only require three sizes of wrench / sockets. Makes packing a trail tool bag a lot easier. Was that 10/12/14?

I'm thinking of getting the basic metric set of Husky tools to leave in my truck at all times then augment it with my nice Mac/Snap-On/Matco stuff when going on longer trips. After I started working on cars when I was 16 and being a full time mechanic from '99 till last summer I have a large collection of tools but some stuff I don't want to beat up on the trail. But speaking from a full time mechanic position spend the money on nice stuff, there really is a difference between basic box store side cutters that have a hard time with thick wires vs Knipex ones that cut a penny in half with minimal effort.

There are certain tools I feel have to be "quality" such as pliers. However, in my experience sockets (not ratchets) and wrenches can be less expensive and still function as desired. As a mechanic in the Navy we used nothing but Snap-on. Honestly though when it comes to wrenches I just don't see the value. I've yet to brake the wrenches I purchased from Ace for half the money.

Personally, I have a tool bag I purchased from Lowe's. All of my tools are now Kobalt tools as I work for Lowe's. Contents:various metric box wrenches, metric sockets shallow and deep well with diff drives (1/4,3/8,1/2) sockets, flex heads, ratchets, a 18"&24" breaker bar, screwdrivers, various pliers(6-8 pair), 3-4 pair vise grips, razor knife with spare blades, hammer, rubber mallet, ball peen hammer, some picks, wire cutter, crimper, files, chisels, and some other stuff I can't remember. I always carry my Makita 18v impact and drill with three batteries. Then a bag with duct tape, zip ties, plumbing hanger strap, electrical tape, 12 ga wire roll, WD-40, misc Toyota bolts, and self tapping screws). A separate bag Rubbermaid container has spare parts when I go somewhere off road by myself.

Ive only had to use the tools for myself once in 24 years. I've used them for others multiple times. I probably have $300 in my "kit".

I throw all my stuff into zip up tool bag that gets clipped to the rear seat mount so it doesn't flop around.
I keep my 54mm socket, basic screwdrivers, deep set of sockets, reg depth sockets, ratchet and extensions, a breaker bar, hose clamps, zip ties, rtv sealant, electrical tape, open/box end wrenches, crescent wrench, bailing wire, pliers/wire cutters star sockets and maybe a couple other things. Fits in well (giggity) and I take it out when I park some dickhead doesn't Jack me for it all.

Longer trips I'll add extra parts and tools if needed.

Just came across this. Min bid is $750. It is all Snap-on incl a torque wrench that is NS. Geeezz...
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The tools I have reasonable access to is a leatherman and a 10n1 screwdriver. I carry everything including several air tools and fluid buried deep in the LC. The last time I needed access to tools and spares was 2005 when I broke a birf.
I leave the hood prepared or I dont leave.

Last edited:
Four things that are essential to any trail tool bag

1. Duct Tape
2. JB Weld
3. Zip Ties
4. A BFH (Big Freakin' Hammer)

Everything else is optional.

Yes about the JB Weld and QuikSteel too.

I have something like bailing wire but I have never had to use it.

And it's Gorilla brand duct tape only for me. It saved me down in Baja in 2006. Literally might have died without it. (Slightly dramatic but we were out in the middle of nowhere and it was hot, ok?!?!)

canvas bag containing half the garage (30 gallon air compressor doesn't fit in the canvas bag).

I drive a toyota because it doesn't need fixing :eek: Or because I like the challenge of limping home in a beaten, bashed and barely driving.

True story: for the last year, the only two tools I've carried consistently in my truck (aside from the screwdriver I use for work) are a 13mm wrench and a 13mm bendy wrench. :flipoff2:

I don't really understand why anyone would keep a kit in their rig that's full of expensive tools? Harbor Fraught is like a godsend.

I carry probably more than I should for tools (the big ass 300 piece set plus some other odds and ends), but I wheel with mixed groups of import and domestic vehicles quite often (like tomorrow, for instance) and my toolbox has come out of the truck on more than one occasion to repair someone else's rig or my own. HF stuff is good enough to get the job done, easy enough to replace with the warranty, and cheap enough to carry more than one set of a specific tool.

More props to you if your junk never breaks, but I've seen things break in even tame conditions so I feel a little more comfortable when I have tools and parts on hand.

Do this kind of thing once and you won't be super pumped to have expensive tools in the truck; try as much as you like, everything gets dirty when you're surrounded by dirt.

During the day

image.jpeg

...and especially at night.
image.jpeg

More than once I we have encountered people in the back country that need assistance and dont have anything but a screw driver and a broken pair of slip joint pliers. So I carry a fairly comprehensive tool kit in all our vehicles the best of which is in the 80 currently.

A canvas bag I have a H/F basic 5x Piece Met/Std 1/2, 3/8, 1/4 drive set, the ratchets were tossed and Wright Tool's ratchets were procured as replacements (1/2 drive used form a Pawn shop), and the 10-15mm sockets are also Wright's in the 3/8 flavor A decent selection of H/F impact grade extensions and a couple universals drive adapters from S&K and few odd ball odds and ends in a plastic jar. A 2 1/8" Wright 3/4 drive with adapter to 1/2 drive for the front hubs. A set of 3/8 drive 8-19 Deep sockets

Wrench set is a Old school S&K supper chrome 6-24mm and a Gear wrench 20 piece Met/Std set so the std also serves as my SAE end wrenches. All in plastic box that sits on top of the socket set in the bag. Lately I have had my Good set of Wright met combinations in their roll riding around back there to.

Pliers, channel locks, screw drivers, are just odd ball stuff I have had laying around consisting Cman, S&K and Kline tools a mid sized pair of vicegrips, and a snap ring plier.

Misc stuff, a set of drifts, center punch, a flat and rat tail file, a cheap no name chain wrench, razor knife, 12' tape, a flaring tool for some reason ended up in there, A met set of Allen's and limited selection of Torx drive's, tucked along side is a 8oz ballpeen, 4lb dead blow 16oz framing hammer, and 24" 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 21mm deep well on it. , my antique OTC mulitmeter, couple jumper wires, , . A small pouch with a full selection of fuses, couple of common relays, a bit of 14ga wire, some crimp connectors, shrink tube. In my bigger tote is some spare fluids, FPIG/Permetx, thread tape and a small tube of anti-seize and blue thread lock, a selection of hose clamps, tape (ele, duct, gorilla ), mechanic's wire, a tube of JB, recovery gear, small grease gun, a 20t bottle jack, jumper cables and a few common spare parts for the 80 ....

Yeah yeah I know but seems like I end up helping friends and what not a lot too with things when they ask hey do you have a metric what ever or need something beyond a very basic home owners tool/supply set. I have been accused of carrying an Ace hardwear in the back of my truck and 80 several times...

Lastly I have a lot of good tools in my rigs but I buy them up at garage sales, pawn shops, supper sales, etc, I think I have maybe 250-300 bucks in my current Tool set up (other than my good wrench roll) ... I dont normally carry my good wrench set with me, but they ended up back there and I enjoy using them too much so I use them every chance I get so I keep them with me. My next project is likely going to be a drawer set up so I can get my kit out of sight a bit more and get some cargo space back with a much smaller tote for just liquids.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why anyone would keep a kit in their rig that's full of expensive tools? Harbor Fraught is like a godsend.

I carry probably more than I should for tools (the big ass 300 piece set plus some other odds and ends), but I wheel with mixed groups of import and domestic vehicles quite often (like tomorrow, for instance) and my toolbox has come out of the truck on more than one occasion to repair someone else's rig or my own. HF stuff is good enough to get the job done, easy enough to replace with the warranty, and cheap enough to carry more than one set of a specific tool.

More props to you if your junk never breaks, but I've seen things break in even tame conditions so I feel a little more comfortable when I have tools and parts on hand.

Do this kind of thing once and you won't be super pumped to have expensive tools in the truck; try as much as you like, everything gets dirty when you're surrounded by dirt.

During the day

View attachment 1298591

...and especially at night.
View attachment 1298592

The pics above reminded me of my latest addition to my tool box I hope I never need

JAck with Adp.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Less is more.

I use to drive around with a hard to store 75pound tool box with a massive assortment of tools that less then half were useful on my truck. I realized the people I wheel with took care of their own junk and tool needs. I pared down to what only fits my truck. Saved space and weight. I have a storage drawer for the back that is out at the moment.

I have three tool rolls. One for heavy work with sockets and ratchets. One for electrical and small tools and one for general hand tools. Not pictures is I have a smalle bag with some wire, butt splices spades connectors and I have a small bow saw that has a wood saw and hack saw.

I do need to get a big socket for the front hubs.

Not going to carry spare axle shafts. With the electric lockers I can remove a broken shaft lock the diff and unplug it and limp home.

Wow, this went from an "is there an interest" thread to a show you toolbox thread. I would post up a picture of mine, but I don't have enough room on the tailgate to display it all, nor do I feel like digging it all out and having to re-pack it.

But a brief overview:
-6 to 14mm 1/4 drive shallow and deep socket and ratchet set with extensions from 1-1/2 to 6" plus universals
-8 to 17mm shallow and 10 to 19mm deep 3/8 drive socket set with 3' worth of miscellaneous sized extensions and universals
- 8 to 22mm 1/2 drive Impact sockets with impact gun capable of 450lb-ft reverse torque.
- adapters for all socket drives to all other sizes
- 24" ratcheting 1/2 breaker
-1/2 drive ratchet
-21mm deep socket
-24mm deep socket
-27mm deep socket
-32mm socket
-54mm socket
-spark plug socket trio
-1/2 drive 20-250lb-ft torque wrench
-8 to 19mm gear wrench set
-6 to 17mm open/box combo standard wrench set
-8 to 22mm offset box end wrench set.
-1 crescent wrench up to 1-1/2"
-2 crescent wrenches up to 3" (for Johnny joints)
-Complete flathead and Phillips screwdrivers including a jewlers set.
-9/16 drift punch
-ballpeen trio from HF
-dead blow from HF
-6 piece pliar set
-3 pair vice grips
Battery post and terminal cleaner
Voltmeter
All kinds of zip ties
Bag of hose clamps
Spare suspension bolts(broken some in past)
Spare light bulbs
Spare fuses
Electrical tape
Gorilla tape
Spare axle bits, seals star washers, cone
washers, steering arm studs etc..
Roll of electrical wire
Wire strippers and misc. connectors.
Small roll of tie wire.
Heavy gauge 25' long jumper cables and 2 spare batter cables
And of course I carry an air hose and accessories for airing up and running air tools, but those are kept in my recovery gear box with auto deflators.

I went with a basic socket set and two tool rolls. Packed them with regular spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, utility knife, other bits and pieces, also threw in a couple of pairs of gloves and rolls of cloth. All go in the tailgate storage area, so nearby if need be without pulling out your packed gear. The trouble with a 'purchased' kit, normally means you have tools you will never use and will invariably need to add your own 'bits and pieces'.

regards

Dave

Well I guess it's safe to say that savvy 80 series folks don't really need help with their tools. I think it's really interesting that there are basically 2 types of kits and mentalities. First there are the minimalist "my truck is right before I leave" folks, and then there are the overkill "anything can happen on the trail" type. Thanks for all the posts, and I've already spotted a couple of additions I plan to make to my kit.
Cheers,
Scot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom