AC Delay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I start the LC after is has not been running for about 20 minutes there is a delay before the AC kicks on. In the summer Texas heat it is long enough to be annoying. If the truck has been running recently it comes on right away. I have read a few threads where people seem to have similar issues...some have suggested it is due to a cabin filter replacement (which was replaced recently at a service); however, I can not understand how anything would be damaged due to a cabin filter replacement. How is this possible?

There is another thread where it appears the a/c amplifier assembly was to blame:

Air Condition Controls In Active for 23 seconds

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

my wife's sienna kicks on the AC instantly. My LC....not so much. I believe it to be a manly downfall of owning this truck. Turn your rear AC on when cooling does start. Seems to help cool the cabin quicker - as a whole. You'd think being a global platform this wouldn't be an issue. But we are spoiled compared to others. Roll up your sleeves and tough it out... Man style

I was in Scottsdale, AZ not that long ago and it was pretty dang hot. My A.C worked like a champ once I got rid of all the cabin heat. That's weird a cabin filter could be to blame but I guess it kind of makes sense if it's clogged but yours was replaced by dealer "hopefully".

I do recall my 2008 being a lot slower to cool my truck compared to my 14, no idea why

Atlanta heat can also be very bad, I run my rear air for the first 5-10 minutes after startup regularly. I have never really noticed a delay in my 2011. One nice thing about the rear air if you are tall is you can redirect the one on the roof behind the headrest on the drivers side to blow on your neck.

Once the air conditioning starts it works amazing. No issues there. It is just the 20 second delay or so that is annoying. Obviously not a major big deal.

My guess is that it can be fixed.

Once the air conditioning starts it works amazing. No issues there. It is just the 20 second delay or so that is annoying. Obviously not a major big deal.

My guess is that it can be fixed.
My '13 LC has the same issue. Any other truck I've owned, including :princess:'s '01 LX, simply remember the last set temp upon startup.

The LC starts with a non-responsive climate screen, about 30 seconds later it becomes active, with temps on both front seat areas set to 75. This time of the year, that means I need to lower the temps to 70, tell the system to go to 4-zone to get the back area cool. I set both back temps 70 when it starts getting hot.

I worked with a 'Yota engineer named Percy...after a few telcons with him, it turns out to be a known issue with no cause(s) nor solutions to the issue.

A definite first-world problem I live with, but maybe less of a pita if the truck could remember the temp settings.:doh:

Steve

I am going to see if there are any codes being thrown...maybe it is related to the a/c amplifier as found in the thread I referenced above.

hankinid: My 13 remembers and always has. I suspect there is some corrupted code. I would find it annoying and pursue a fix while under warranty.

hankinid: My 13 remembers and always has. I suspect there is some corrupted code. I would find it annoying and pursue a fix while under warranty.
Thx chiilbit. She has passed her 36K warranty...not too confident about getting it taken care of as a powertrain issue. It will see the local indy shop, "LTS Motors", late next week. You are giving me hope that it's a fixable issue.

Steve

Sounds like it is reinitializing every time you start the vehicle. The recirc door may have been damaged by prying on the door to change the cabin filter causing it to "lose" its position. I would take a peek if you have this issue.

How does the recirc door work? Are you talking about the door that covers the cabin filter?

How does the recirc door work? Are you talking about the door that covers the cabin filter?

Yes. You have to put it in recirculate mode to have the door open. Fresh air mode closes the door. If you can lift the door with in fresh/closed mode, your linkage/gear is probably broken.

If its working properly, Back to the drawing board lol.

AAhh crap that is it then...I think my linkage is broken...is there a write up anywhere to take it apart and put it back together?

AAhh crap that is it then...I think my linkage is broken...is there a write up anywhere to take it apart and put it back together?

I've never done one on the 200 series but have done it on other Lexus models. Its not fun. Some you have to remove the dash...

Never mind...I put some aggression into it and it ended up clicking into and holding the recirc (upright) position. Now all seems to work fine.

Thank you very much ton504 for clarifying how it is supposed to work. I was clueless.

Never again will I allow a dealer to install a cabin filter...who would have thought??

Skyak, you are the man!!! I was having the same problem as you and figured my recirculation door was broken. I was dreading going to the dealership. But armed with your experience, I put my AC into recirc, forced the door open (up) until I heard a loud snap and now everything is working! Door is down for fresh air and up for recirculation. And best of all, there is no delay to off when I start my vehicle. I am so excited! Thanks again!!!!

Last edited:
Skyak, you are the man!!! I was having the same problem as you and figured my recirculation door was broken. I was dreading going to the dealership. But armed with your experience, I put my AC into recirc, forced the door open (up) until I heard a loud snap and now everything is working! Door is down for fresh air and up for recirculation. And best of all, there is no delay to off when I start my vehicle. I am so excited! Thanks again!!!!

I had same exact issue. In AZ, 20 second AC delay on start up = no fun. In recirc mode, forced door up, loud snap, door stayed up. Up in recirc and down in fresh. New filter installed and system works perfect with no delay upon start up. Yeah baby! Thanks to drmwvr, Skyak and ton504. Fellow mudders on this forum are friggin awesome. This is by far the most satisfying fix a person (me) with virtually no mechanical skill can accomplish.

I lock my glove box door and just leave them with the fob when I take mine in for service, they call and ask if I have the key and I tell them leave it alone.

Sounds like it is reinitializing every time you start the vehicle. The recirc door may have been damaged by prying on the door to change the cabin filter causing it to "lose" its position. I would take a peek if you have this issue.

So glad I found this thread and thanks for providing that input! I was worried there was something wrong with my HVAC, even took it into the dealer to have them check the system and they left it to nothing is wrong with the HVAC that I need to worry about.

For older Cruisers, I highly recommend a complete refrigerant flush and recharge at Toyota. I needed to do it because of a screwup where I had to release all pressure...but it was a blessing in disguise as I was AMAZED at how much colder it gets now!

I mean like super-blast, ice-cubes in your face cold...and my 200 is 11 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom