Desmog components (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hey jim, not sure if i've got the email right. im looking to get the carb rebuilt and dist recurved because im about to put the fresh motor into my truck. i'd like to get all this done asap because this truck is my daily driver and im down a car

God bless, Jake

Klonky, thanks for posting a reminder here. Just dug up & responded to your email from a couple weeks back.

Bumpity for desmog parts, which are in stock and ready to ship for your Cruising pleasure.

Does anyone have a pic of Jim's idler pulley installed? I got his kit quite awhile back and heavily tore apart an 83 2F for a desmog and have a pile of parts all over everywhere. Then I had to put it on hold. Now that I'm back on it I'm fumbling with the pulley and can't seem to figure it out. A pic would really help. Thanks!

Here's some pics of a raw pulley loosely installed on a dummy engine.
IMG_20160619_175948.jpg

IMG_20160619_175917.jpg

IMG_20160619_175831.jpg

HTH!

Idler 01.jpg
Thanks Jim. My PS pump is on the third groove out. This 2F has factory (I assume) AC. It now lines up with the middle groove. Is there a simple fix for this?

Never mind! I was confused on the belt layout. With all the components removed (except ps pump) I thought the ps & idler were supposed to match up. I'm all clear now. Thank You!

Pawman, the parts listed in the first couple posts in this thread are all in-stock, ready to ship. Prices are up to date, just add up parts, plus $6 for shipping, and PayPal to fj40jim@gmail.commmm with a note to LMK which parts you're getting. Thanks!

Dear Mr. Chenoweth,
PP sent for idler. Old pump died a horrible death this morning. Have a tremendous 4th.
Regards,
Casey

CuCruiser: Can you describe the sound it made before it died, and then what happened when it finally did? I have one I think it failing...sounds like the bearings are super loud and rattle.

FJ40Jim: Expect an order soon! I was driving across Ohio going from Arizona to Maine and my air pump started getting loud. At least I hope that's what it is...

It's a thing of beauty Jim!:)

I don't think my experience would be similar to yours, Seawolf. My smog pump had been devaned by a PO, and the PS pump had been leaking on in for who knows how long. The first sign of trouble was some rather loud violent klunking which got me to the side of the road pronto. As I looked over the engine it changed to a squeal and later a spun bearing zinnnnn zinnnnn sound. The belt was still turning so I continued cautiously to work and later home. Stethoscope confirmed that the squeal was coming from the smog pump.
But the engine bay is definitely quieter now, so I guess it was making some noise all along...:meh:

PayPal sent for idler pulley!

Got my pulley in today! Thanks Jim

Jim, your air pump replacement idler pulley and thermostat housing plugs can be replaced without utilizing the air injection plugs and/or the exhaust plate, correct? I want to remove my noisy air pump and replace it with your pulley, but I don't want to go further into the process by replacing the other parts.

Just want to make sure the AP and thermostat vacuum fittings alone can be removed and have it still run OK.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom