Compare & Contrast..FJ80 vs FJ100...words I use to hate in school (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...I'm considering paths down different roads and without getting into all the reasons pro vs. con...etc

I'm looking into doing one of three things (you gotta have options):

(1) buying a FJ80 in the 96-97 year range and drive it for a while and then consider swapping over a 6.0 GM SBC along with matching GM auto transmission. (Alt engine choice would be 5.3 with matching GM auto transmission).

(2) Might consider reasonably priced FJ100, unsure of year, but with 4.7 V8.

I know there are many options for aftermarket parts with the FJ80 and support for the FJ100. What I want out of this....is: a road worthy / dependable truck to take on some long haul trips, and the truck has to be be capable of off-road adventure "stuff", which means not into crazy rocks or body bashing opportunities.

So eventually the truck would have the sliders and bumpers etc, mild lift and other options/mods that make sense, or might come with some of that stuff if already rigged up.

So what I'm looking for is here...what year range in FJ100 would you look for and why? Problem areas of different year models to avoid and or what maybe to look for in year model on the FJ100. I've read some comments about the auto-level ride suspension of some of the FJ100's (i would remove/modify that).
anyway...looking for feedback on the FJ100.

(3) if I back out of one of the above I"m going to go automatic with my 60 (automatic transmission) and I may change the engine along with it (from 5.7 to 5.3 or 6.0) along with matching GM transmission and I will along with that make a few mods to be better road friendly.

Where this takes me...I don't know, but new things are appealing and new areas to explore are out there and I want to explore where this takes me. Obviously I have a FJ60 now, I'm fairly set on year model of the FJ80 if I do there....but would like some thoughts on the FJ100..what to look for, what to avoid, what year models. Doubtful I'll throw a lot of $$ at a super nice low millage 100, but at this point, who knows.

For the type of wheeling we do I'd shy away from the 100. Although Matt & I have put his truck thru some stuff I never thought it would go, the lack of solid front axle is the biggest concern. Last New Years ride we both experienced what a broken front ring & pinion gear felt like as we exited the trail. I know from past research the '98-99s have a larger dia pinion pin so they say those year diffs are better. In saying all of that, as far as comfort on the trail, prob best I've ever been in. Front torsion bar setup & lift kit was super easy to do, & cheap (<$1k). In snow, I'd put my LX470 up against anything. I won't touch my 60 when it snows here, ive pulled more people out of situations in my LX than 60. It's amazing in the snow, I'd trust it anywhere. My $0.02

Another thing to point out w the 100 is the difficulty to limp it home if something axle related goes wrong. 40/60/80s we can always disconnect a drive shaft and limp it home on 1 axle. Hundys can't do that due to the v coupling in tcase, must have both driveshafts connected at all times. I think there is a work around w front hubs to bypass this, not sure how intense tho.

I say spend the money on the 60 and get the end result of what you are looking at a lesser cost.

If you are looking at "truck camping" and trips like the Big Bend run that the CLC guys just did, then I'm gonna say just go for a hundy out of the box. Otherwise you'd be better to send your 60 to @FJ60Cam and the three-6 garage crew for "the works". He is going to have what you are looking for. 60 body/ LS power/ 80 suspension, and it is badass, but he has a lot of sweat-equity in that truck. I'd be curious what his thoughts are on it. He has taken the 60 across country and has wheeled it with the hundy guys, so to me he would be a good resource for both the 60 upgrades vs. going to the Hundy. Now that said, if you are looking at still hitting some hard stuff and also truck camping too, then I think building the 60 up will give you a stronger drivetrain and like Sean said, you can still limp around on busted stuff with the solid axles.

Technically it's called a UZJ100, or J100.
There was never a FJ100 in the USA.
The "F" is the 6 cylinder engine.
The "UZ" is the V8.

Not that it makes any difference. But I think the 100 guys might squirm if you call their cruiser a FJ100. :)

I think you have to first be totally honest with what you intend to do with the truck and the level of comfort you desire. All are road-worthy and trail capable for what you describe wanting to do.

If I had to start completely over, a 100 is awfully tempting for what I see myself doing going forward. LOTS of creature comforts inside. They will go just about anywhere you want, but the body is bigger and the front end a little more delicate. There are still a few places I want to go or go to again that a 100 just won't fit. I'm pretty easy on parts, so the front end probably isn't an issue.

The 80's are probably the perfect all-arounder from the factory. Lots of creature comfort inside (though a little claustrophobic in the drivers seat for me), more power than the 2F, comfy coil suspension, solid axles, FF rear if you get the later ones.

The 60's are from a different era and don't really compare to 80's & 100's. They'll go the same places, but they are much more spartan. I drove mine cross-country with the 2F/H55 and it did fine. It was road worthy, able to do the Rubicon without too much trouble, and then drive us back home. I drove it to NV with the 5.3/4L60E, "overlanded" for 800 miles, and drove home and it is was much easier. Both trips saw little gremlins from modifications I had done, but nothing left me stranded or cost more than an hour or two of my time. Both were just part of the de-bugging process that any sort of modifications will have.

The "perfect" truck, to me, would be an 80 series with an LS swap. After putting the 5.3 in mine, the LS just seems "right" for the wagon. I love this drivetrain. Love it. And the 80 series is a great all around package.

However, I have a one-truck lifestyle right now, and I just can't get rid of the 60 (its just a part of the family and has it's own soul and personality), so it has evolved to what I'm looking for as I keep finding out exactly what it is that I'm looking for. As jynx said, there is a lot of sweat equity in it, way more than can be justified. I'll just have to live without the power windows, sunroof, and better sound deadening of the new trucks.

Whatever you choose will be a compromise, you just have to pick which compromises you can live with.

My 2 cents:
80 series is the most bang for the buck if you keep the stock drivetrain.
100 is the most bang for the buck if you want a V8 easily.
80/GM V8 is great if you want something a little more heavy duty than a 100, some comfort, most reliable drivetrain/suspension.
60s are the coolest obviously :grinpimp:, too cool to rank, but you have to work for it. Bang for your buck doesn't apply. They are a labor of love.

I'll wade through the thoughts expressed... I was in the habit of calling all the LC...(FJ+whatever) so I may need some "lessons" on that.

Yeah I realize there are compromises on about any of the choices and I'm of the same view that a 80 probably has the most potential for modifications and also an existing user base...etc. And I've admired the 80's for some time...a 80 with v8 power would be the "bomb".

Yeah I'm in decision choice limbo right now...just wanting to make sure I understand the trucks out there. What do people say about the automatic ride height option on some of the 100's , seems like some were pretty down on that from some threads I've read and I'm not sure what year model 100 series those come on ( i'll need to read further ...I fully admit).

Yea I've got a lot of $$/time in my 60 and it would be truly hard to start over, but that's one of the calls I need to make.

My 60 would be technically fine to drive across country if I were to re-gear.....but would not be the most comfortable truck as otherwise currently configured. Plus I've done away with some of the interior features to avoid damage (no carpet..etc) and then of course I have a a truck that was made in 1986 , so some of the plastic trim is not great(which is just an aesthetic issue and not performance related) and I can remedy the carpet with some rubber mats or something. Agreed that the low cost option would be to delve further into the 60 and potentially re-gear and make drive train choices and go from there.

A lot of thoughts are dancing around in the ole "watermelon" at present.

Last edited:
fell free to chime in with whatever.... i know this is a really broad decision tree...
Appreciate all feedback...constructive thought....

I'll wade through the thoughts expressed... I was in the habit of calling all the LC...(FJ+whatever) so I may need some "lessons" on that.

Yeah I realize there are compromises on about any of the choices and I'm of the same view that a 80 probably has the most potential for modifications and also an existing user base...etc. And I've admired the 80's for some time...a 80 with v8 power would be the "bomb".

Yeah I'm in decision choice limbo right now...just wanting to make sure I understand the trucks out there. What do people say about the automatic ride height option on some of the 100's , seems like some were pretty down on that from some threads I've read and I'm not sure what year model 100 series those come on ( i'll need to read further ...I fully admit).

Yea I've got a lot of $$/time in my 60 and it would be truly hard to start over, but that one of the calls I need to make.

My 60 would be technically fine to drive across country if I were to re-gear.....but would not be the most comfortable truck as otherwise currently configured. Plus I've done away with some of the interior features to avoid damage (no carpet..etc) and then of course I have a a truck that was made in 1986 , so some of the plastic trim is not great(which is just an aesthetic issue and not performance related) and I can remedy the carpet with some rubber mats or something. Agreed that the low cost option would be to delve further into the 60 and potentially re-gear and make drive train choices and go from there.

A lot of thoughts are dancing around in the ole "watermelon" at present.

In the real world (not the web world), you'd probably be fine with the AHC. You don't hear from the many who don't have problems. Only the ones that do. Same for the 80 series head gasket. A lot of things get blown out of proportion. But there is always the possibility that something will fail. It happens all the time.

If you aren't going rock crawling and don't want to go through the engine swap ordeal, a 100 series is hard to beat. Go test drive some, and maybe some 80 series and see what you think. Get back in your 60 and see if it makes you cringe or smile.

Do you want a refined experience? Do you want it a little rough around the edges like a hot rod? Do you want it to be modern or have a little more personality? Are you going to wrench on it from time to time or farm it out? Which do you have more of - time or money? There are no wrong answers.

I know nothing about the 80 or 100 except for what I've read of other people's experiences. So all I can add is info "I've read".

As for AHC, there are a lot of threads about AHC experiences on MUD.

Here's one:
AHC in US Land Cruiser

I've come to the conclusion that an AHC equipped vehicle would be something that I personally would want to avoid.

I will most likely do an LS swap into an 80 at some point. As a matter of fact I was just pondering if I get my mostly stock 92 up and going, that I may have the seats recovered and drive it some daily. As a whole, a stock 80 drives pretty nicely. I didn't really have a measuring stick as I have only ever ridden/driven a lifted one, but when we picked up the 92 and I drove it back from KY, it has noticeably better handling in stock trim and the ride is plush and smooth. I intend to keep it as stock as possible for now, but thinking that it would be a good candidate for an LS swap somewhere down the road.

I'd like to have something that I can load mom and little bit up in and make a trip out to Moab for a week or 2 when she gets a few years older, see the sites, camp a little, run some trails and just generally have a good time making some memories.

Dayum!! I think you can get a pulled and tested one with a trans for $1200 or less if you shop around.

Dayum!! I think you can get a pulled and tested one with a trans for $1200 or less if you shop around.
yes... i'm just sharing some links to the magic part numbers...source of my engine will probably be a salvage yard. and transmission too. 6.0's have not been to cheap from what I've seen if I go with the 6.0

I've got both like everyone says depends on what you want to do. I like an 80 for riding like we did at New Years. But to cruise out of area and explore mild roads/trials I'm liking this 100 only had it a couple weeks so far not overly impressed with its capability compared to an 80 but it does ride good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom