Transfer Case Pops out of Low Range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I recently installed Marlin Gears on my 1997 FZJ80. Since the install there has been 3 occasions where the Transfer Case popped out of low range into neutral. All three times I had just shifted from park to drive and was on a slope. Each time I put the tranny in neutral, shifted the t case back into low, and went on my merry way. Is there an adjustment for the shifter linkage? When I installed the gears I recall not being able to get the shifter to mate up until the transmision crossmember was back in place. I'm thinking it's not going far enough back into the low position. I've never had issues in high. Also, I've done some decent rock crawling and it never seems to happen under articulation.

Anyone had this problem or think of any suggestion?

Check the linkage first for full engagement of the low range detent shift position and for no contact or interference with the body sheet metal or other chassis components. Also check your motor mounts to see that they are not separated and allowing too much movement of the engine.

If all that checks out, it could be internal.

It seems like it's fully engaging in low, I feel 3 distinct clicks, high, neutral, and low.

What should I be looking for on the motor mounts (I'm new to auto work, not exactly sure what I should be looking for here)?

Thanks

Put a piece of 2X6 on the oil pan and carefully jack up the engine and see if the motor mounts separate and if the rubber is worn out.

So I checked the mounts using your procedure and the seem to be okay. I went wheeling again, and I've been able to narrow down the problem (I think). The t-case pops out of low only when going from Reverse to Forward, usually when on a slope/rock with the front end higher than the rear end. Do you know if there is any adjustment in the H-N-L selector? I recall having a hard time getting it to reconnect after installing the t-case gears. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I recently installed Marlin Gears on my 1997 FZJ80. Since the install there has been 3 occasions where the Transfer Case popped out of low range into neutral. All three times I had just shifted from park to drive and was on a slope. Each time I put the tranny in neutral, shifted the t case back into low, and went on my merry way. Is there an adjustment for the shifter linkage? When I installed the gears I recall not being able to get the shifter to mate up until the transmision crossmember was back in place. I'm thinking it's not going far enough back into the low position. I've never had issues in high. Also, I've done some decent rock crawling and it never seems to happen under articulation.

Anyone had this problem or think of any suggestion?

Did you resolve this? I am in a very similar situation. Just installed Marlin Gears into a used 150k miles tcase I had laying around (known to be in working condition). Removed my tcase, installed this 150k tcase, along with new motor and trans mount.

Only been on one test drive so I don't know if it is going to pop out of low, but it hasn't yet.

My problem is the tcase won't stay in neutral. Ideas like the boot or the linkage is trying to pull it back into Low. So in neutral, I can feel thru the shifter the clutch sleeve 'grinding' against the clutch hub in the tcase.

Now that i just looked at the FSM again... I recall There is some adjustment on the linkage at the tcase outer shift lever. I don't see a description in the FSM so adjusting it by feel and trial and error is probably the only way. PITA all things considered.

I have some pics of the linkage and tcase outer shift lever from out of the truck. I will post later.

I checked everything suggested and couldn't figure out the problem.

I discovered that it only pops out reverse to forward or forward to reverse. Now, when in low if I have to shift from F to R or R-F I just keep my other hand on the 4 low shifter. Doesn't pop out that way.

Wish I could have been of more help.

Right above the green tape you are the tcase outer shift lever, with the linkage attached. To the right of the boot is a threaded section.

Should be able to loosen the nut on the linkage and thread it in or out as needed. This could resolve both our situations.

Might have to disconnect the linkage from the interior shift lever at the front end of the linkage in question. Should just be a cotter pin.

Pretty sure the tcase is in low range with the tcase outer shift lever in this position in these pics.

IMG_20160406_135423.jpg
IMG_20160406_135423.jpg
IMG_20160406_135412.jpg
IMG_20160406_135406.jpg

IMG_20160406_135429.jpg

Any chance either of you have a body lift that could cause body interference or shift boot pressure on the shifter?

Nope, no body lift on my truck.

Also, when I checked the FSM I did not see any section on adjusting the linkage, although what @mod5csi suggested seems to make sense. I'll probably give it a shot next weekend and see what happens.

Nope, no body lift on my truck.

Also, when I checked the FSM I did not see any section on adjusting the linkage, although what @mod5csi suggested seems to make sense. I'll probably give it a shot next weekend and see what happens.

I agree with everything Jeeper said.

No body lift, likely the linkage for me. If I let the interior tcase shifter rest in Neutral it grinds. If I push the shifter slightly forward toward High it doesn't grind.

(edit: I think I'm backwards on adjusting the rod linkage, probably just going to bed to trial and error)

For my situation I think I need to lengthen my linkage slightly (story of my life). This should push the tcase outer shift lever toward the rear of the truck, which would be like my lightly pushing the interior tcase shifter forward toward High.

For Jeeper, the converse should be true. By shortening his linkage it should stop him from popping out of low when the torque on the system changes (shifting from drive to reverse, etc) by keeping the tcase outer shift lever 'pulled to the front' toward Low.

Where are the search-mongers by the way? They are always quick to say 'search and you will find'. But there's never a 'Good Work' to the guy that does search, finds a relevant topic, and possibly, hopefully helps solve his own and the OPs issue.

Last edited:
@ReformedJeeper and @mod5csi , did either of you resolve this issue? I am experiencing exactly the same thing as Reformedjeeper describes. The truck pops out of low range when going from park or reverse to drive. I also have Marlin gears and a part time kit that was supposedly installed by Slee before I got the rig. I don't think it is a coincidence that all 3 of us have experienced this and all 3 of us have the Marlin gears.

I also did the tcase regear and have a one inch body lift. Keeps popping out randomly. Anyone solve this yet?
I sometimes just keep a hand on the gear shift but more often than not I just keep a bungie cord hooked up to it for the rare occasion when it decides to jump out of low range.

But I also don't do a whole lot of rock crawling or extreme wheeling that typically causes it to pop out of low range so this solution works for me. K

If i remember rightly, one of the first disassembly steps after removing the T-case for a re-gear is to remove a star bolt that has a spring and ball under it. i think those are controlling how much oomph it takes to move the shifter between detents. Perhaps the solution here is ( after linkage length is set) is to install a beefier spring to push the ball into the detent harder?
just a thought.

Well I’m apparently only the 4th to experience this. Similarly, only going up hill but while driving forward would it pop out. Very random, nothing else to really go on

I solved this by first lengthening the linkage to the max at the top of the t case. (You can lower it just enough to get at the nut, but I had to use a funny combination of tools to loosen it as a wrench would not fit)
Then when it still was happening I removed the leather cover around the shifter and cut a small bit out of both rubber boots. I then stuffed a sock into the old holes in the boots, and put it all back together. I haven’t popped out of low range since.

It allowed the shifter to be in 4 lo without the tension from the boots pulling on the lever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom