Keeping the Original Patina with CLR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
Has anyone tried using CLR to remove surface rust, and restore some of the classic 'patina' to their cruiser? Does anyone have any tips or tricks which work well? I'm looking to clean up the truck (inside, outside, and frame), to both make it more presentable, and not give me tetanus when I try to drive it.

I think my influence in '40 ownership form landcrusher909 has me fairly convinced I will enjoy my cruiser just as much if it has a few battle scars, or if its fully restored. I think spending $30 on CLR may be my ticket to enjoying a clean cruiser.

My research lead me to this post on jalopy journal: Remove Surface Rust with CLR

I feel like this style, and think is very suiting to old cruisers.

So has anyone tried cleaning the body of a '40 with CLR? Any tips and tricks? After you were done, did you add a top coat like a wax or clear coat?

People make bombs from mixin house hold cleaners. I suggest you wear military dog tags while you experiment with them cleaners.

huh????

Patina rocks! They are only original once!
I used ospho on some rusty spots on my 69 with decent results.
I dig the looks of the cars in your link.
patina.JPG

I decided to give it a try today.

Yes, it does work. I gave the passenger side of the truck a once-over. I'd say I'm 25% of the way through the process. I'll probably need another dozen scotchbrite pads and another gallon of CLR.

I'm also going to try some scotch brite bristle discs for the hard to scrub areas. Although do use real scotchbrite pads. My dollar tree ones didn't get the job done.

and the results (before and after):
DSC_0361_2.jpg
DSC_5632_2.jpg
DSC_5641_2.jpg

That's cool. It's like watching it transform right in front of your eyes!

looks better than the one on the link. I'd try it, but I'm afraid if I removed the rust, there would be nothing left to hold it together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom