last minute HAMOM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I realize that it's a last minute affair, but Johnny is going to help drop and replace my transmission tomorrow in Apex. I'll be there at about 9 and Johnny will be there just after noon. Address is 3000 Buckingham Way and my number is 919-306-1935. It should be tons of fun. :) Come for a little or a lot...

Damn. I'd roll up there but i made plans at 4pm. Good luck with that. Sound messy.

Well, we got the transmission out and are going to start putting the new one in this afternoon. We won't be able to put the transfer case back together, because the gear that goes on the output shaft is pretty worn. It is now clear where the "clunk" was coming from. Johnny took some pics of it and the output shaft. Anyone have a line on a new gear?

It took all afternoon to pull out the old transmission because we didn't realize we needed an offset 12mm wrench for the torque converter to flexplate bolts, so it took 2 hours to get it!

If anyone wants to go over, we should be starting up again somewhere around noon. Our goal is to have the new tranny up in there today.

Some pictures:
IMG_20120414_165239.jpg

Old and busted:
IMG_20120414_165245.jpg

New hotness:
IMG_20120414_165319.jpg

IMG_20120414_165327.jpg

Old TC looks fried:
IMG_20120414_165332.jpg

New one looks great:
IMG_20120414_165340.jpg

Old tranny output splines. This is why the McNamara gear exists:
IMG_20120414_165434.jpg

New splines. This is what they should look like:
IMG_20120414_165443.jpg

This is the gear that we need replaced ( reason is self explanatory ). Transfer case input gear from a 62. If anyone has one, please chime in!
IMG_20120414_165815.jpg

We were able to get the transmission back into the rig without much issue. A few lessons learned, but nothing a few beers can't ease. Now, I just need to find a new gear and get the t-case back together.

Wow that gear is toast! Good luck with the search, and glad you're mostly finished!

Here's the question though. If the OEM gear is $300,then should he get a McNamara gear?

What's the contact name at Fres Anderson?

I guess that all depends on the end goal of the project/rig. If its a daily driver, occasional mild off-roading, maybe not a long-term keeper, I'd go OEM. On the other hand, if its a keeper, plans to use it on longer ExPed trips/more aggressive off-roading, it might make sense to go with the McNam gear. IMHO, an OEM is going to last a looong time.

$308 - ONSC discount = ~$250 + tax and/or check with Onur (Beno) and see what price they have + shipping.

yeah, ask for CJ. He's Chris Retz's "replacement" contact

Anyone else find it odd that our contact for FJ's is a guy called CJ? :)

Found a used gear for 1/3 the cost of new. Should be here on Friday. Unfortunately, I've got to go out of town, so it'll be next week before she gets finished up. the best part of all of this is that I ordered the bushings and grommets that will take the slop out of my shifter. that'll be awesome...

By the way, I asked for CJ at Fred Anderson and a guy named Chris answered. I'm not sure if they are one and the same, but...

Nice man, good to hear you found another gear! I'll be out of town this weekend, but I should be around Tuesday next week to help you finish everything up if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom