Towing with a HDJ 81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Guys,

Just wondering something.
I am going to be going to a Suzuki meet with my room mate.
Plan was to tow his rig down on a flat deck with my truck.

It will be in the 3300lbs range.
We will also be on flat ground.

I have towed before with my truck, but it was only about 1600-1700 lbs.
That pulled great and I went over 3 passes.

Anyone see any problems?
Just wanted to double check.

Cheers,
Nick

denis said:
You won't even know the trailer is there :D

Thanks. Thats's what I thought.
Just recently people were talking adding an extra transmission cooler (besides going through the rad) to the 81 series, so I just thought I would ask.

I took it easy before and I was good.
I got out at the top of the passes to check line temps and I was fine everytime.

Cheers,
Nick

off course tranny cooler was so fine and are recomended for towing .. but for this time you don't " need " it

3500 lbs means nothing for your cruiser .. :D

You will be fine, back in NZ my HDJ81 is rated to tow 3500kg's (7700lbs) by the tow bar manufacturer/Toyota, I pull my 21ft ski race boat with it that weighs 2800kg on it's trailer all over the country and it has never missed a beat, doesn't even feel like it's on there.

I have a 96' HDJ80 (1HD-FT with H151). I routinely tow a 16 foot double axle trailer with a BJ7x usually on it. No problems at all. My Cruiser is from Chez republic, and when I got it, I took about a month to find what it was really rated for. The 1FZ 80 series sold in US is rated for 5000lbs, my HDJ80 is rated at over 7000lbs.

Cheers,

Michael

How does one determine the tow rate? I have a 1990 VX Limited HDJ81 - prod date is Oct 1990. Can you tell the tow rate from the frame number? Model Number? Unfortunately, when we bought it from the PO, it came with no owners manual.

Here is a towing pic:D Its an old friend of mine ,Butch,giving me a tow when it blew a fusible link. His HZJ80 hardly suspension hardly noticed it .
I like the way his old Warn 8274 pulled me up too.:D
His cruiser is a full time tow truck. Most of the insurance companies want them towed with the wheels off the ground these days and he wanted a change from wrenching on cars after 35 years;)
1HZ PICS 009 (Small).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom