AltFuel Soft flakes found in fuel filter during change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401906247.858241.jpg

During a filter change, I found these flakes in the old filter. The flakes are soft and pliable and feel Waxy. Could this be something WVO related (I am currently blending 30% WVO)? polymerization or fat?

If you process the UVO using heat then it's most likely fat and PHO that precipitated out in colder temperatures. Unfortunately it does not dissolve back into solution till about 70°F. While coating the inside of the fuel tank it will oxidize and polymerize, and become more solvent resistant.

A few years ago I started cold filtering UVO and BD and using no heat for UVO processing and the problems with fuel system deposits completely disappeared.

I actually do both:

Centrifuge cold until I get a clean bowl.
Then centrifuge hot until I get a clean bowl. The hot centrifuging is primarily for water removal.

Would you suggest that I stop centrifuging hot ?

Generally with UVO, whatever temperature it's processed and final filtered at, is the minimum temperature for the vehicle fuel system.

With your set-up I would process hot first, then cold for final.

I keep the fuel mix stored in the ambient cold and pump from the clear layer into the vehicle tank through a 5µ filter.

We want the high melt point components like fats to settle out in storage, not in the vehicle tank when it gets cold overnight.

Generally with UVO, whatever temperature it's processed and final filtered at, is the minimum temperature for the vehicle fuel system.

Hmmm. With that info, I guess I should do my cold processing overnight....

More fuel filter issues:

I changed my fuel filter today and noticed a slight bit of surface rust on top of the filter. This concerns me because I'm now wondering if my WVO is wet. I then cut it open to inspect the inside-more rust. If I use a paper towel to wipe the rust away, the inside of the filter becomes fairly clean and shiny. Maybe something going on inside the tank?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416330690.786241.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416330721.573338.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416330742.240928.jpg

I had the waxy flakes too, but not near as many as I had before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom