No power - to anything ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ErikinSC

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
SILVER Star
Threads
So, last Tuesday @ 6AM, I go to start the -40 and head to work. Hasn'nt been an issue yet. I turn the key - and nothing. Quick pull on the head light switch, and - no lights either. Darn, dead battery, right?

I turned my daughteres car around, jumped the -40 and headed off to work. Amp meter sat on 0, bouncing slightly back and forth. I checked the battery at work, and it read 12V..? huh. Im only 6 miles away. Didnt think it'd charge that quick. Checked the alternator o/p - and it was steady climbing 12, 13, 14, 15... all the way to 17V ! I checked the Voltage Regulator, and did some searches here on Mud, and decided that I'd get a replacement, swap it in, and adjust the original so that I could have a spare.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm at work, walk out and jump in the rig to head to an appointment. DEAD. No lights. When I got back, checked the battery, 12V. Load tested it - and still had 12V. No brake lights, no headlights, nothing.

Checked the fuses - good. Battery is good. Starter (used a long philllips) is good. Glenn @lextechautomotive said to check the connections to the ignition switch - they're good, still have 12V. Pulled the steering column cover, checked the actual ignition switch - and Ive got power to the ignition switch also. WHERE IS THE POWER GOING ?

I don't have a fusible link coming off of the battery - but I do have a connector in line on the heavy white wire. It had 12V (l aready knew that b/c we had 12V at the fuse panel). Scratched my head some more.... and realized that I had 2 options. Power or Ground.

Since NOTHING worked, it wasnt likely ground. Too many grounds for that to be the common problem. Only other logical item was power. But I had 12V. Question was - how much current? By now, I had pulled the gauge cluster and BAMM ! There was my answer ! A loose conection on the Amp meter. The connector had overheated (rusty connection?) and was creating an intermittment open.

image.jpg

I replaced the connection, cleaned off all the rust, tightened everything back up, and WAA-LAA ! And Vroom, too !. I wasn't thinking aboutt it initially, but ALL power goes thru the Amp meter, before it gets to the fuse panel. I had 12V, but not enough currrent - it's the current that makes it work, ya know! - to make anything work.

So, there. I fixed it.

And the fluctiating votage leveled off to 14.5V also.

Last edited:
So, last Tuesday @ 6AM, I go to start the -40 and head to work. Hasn'nt been an issue yet. I turn the key - and nothing. Quick pull on the head light switch, and - no lights either. Darn, dead battery, right?

I trurned my daughteres car around, jumped the -40 and headed off to work. Amp meter sat on 0, bouncing slightly back and forth. I checked the battery at work, and it read 12V..? huh. Im only 6 miles away. Didnt think it'd charge that quick. Checked the alternator o/p - and it was steady climbing 12, 13, 14, 15... all the way to 17V ! I checked the Voltage Regulator, and did some searches here on Mud, and decided that I'd get a replacement, swap it in, and adjust the original so that I could have a spare.

Fast forward to yesterday. Im at work, walk out and jump in the rig to head to an appointment. DEAD. No lights. Wen I got back, checked the battery, 12V. Load tested it - and still had 12V. No brake lights, no headlights, nothing.

Checked the fuses - good. Battery is good. Starter (used a long philllips) is good. Glenn @lextechautomotive said to check the connections to the ignition switch - they're good, still have 12V. Pulled the steering column cover, checked the actual ignition switch - and Ive got power to the ignition switch also. WHERE IS THE POWER GOING ?

I dont have a fusible link coming off of the battery - but I do have a connector in line on the heavy white wire. It had 12V (laready knew that b/c we had 12V at the fuse panel. Scratched my head some more.... and realized that i had 2 options. Power or Ground.

Since NOTHING worked, it wasnt likely ground. Too many grounds for that to be the common problem. Only other logical irem was power. But I had 12V. Question was - how much current? By now, I had pulled the gauge cluster and BAMM ! There was my answer ! A loose conection on the Amp meter. The connector had overheated (rusty connection?) and was creating an intermittment open.

View attachment 1038672

I replaced the connection, tightened everything back up, and WAA-LAA ! And Vroom, too !. I wasnt thinking initially, but ALL power goes thru the Amp meter, before it gets to the fuse panel. I had 12V, but not enough currrent - it's the current that makes it work, ya know! - to make anything work.

So, there. I fixed it.

And the fluctiating votage leveled off to 14.5V also.

Nice work Erik!!:cheers:

This is a wonderful write up. Dare I say a perfect tech post. Any poor future soul who finds themselves in your predicament will no doubt search for "no power" and find Erik's little gem of a post. Short and sweet!

Only 8 days later and I just did!

I had the same issues, no power whatsoever. After tracing power around the chassis and fuse block with no luck for about 2 hours and scratching my head, I decided to let Mud help me out a bit. Saw this post, and pulled the gauge cluster to find a corroded terminal and fried wire off the back of the ammeter. Disconnected the entire cluster, and jumped the two wires and it fired right up. Thanks for your write-up Erik!

Now I have a great reason to upgrade the lights in the cluster!

:clap:

wiring has been the problem of many a 40, including mine - it died after the first trail ride due to bad contacts at the fuse block :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom