FJ62 - Saginaw Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a lot of FJ60 saginaw pump write ups, but the FJ62 is a different set up. My stock power steering pump growls and grinds and leaks. This last Saturday I went to the Pull-n-Save and picked up a $13 PS pump from a Volvo 740 or something like that. It looked the same as the one in the 240, but not as oily.

Pictures (as links because they are very big):
Volvo Hose End (blurry, I'll try to get a better picture)

PS Pump inlets, Toyota on the right

Pump side by side

Toyota hose threads

Toyota Hose End

So this is the beginning. I'm slow and I like to think about things so who knows how long this will take. What ever bracket I make will be drawn up and maybe I can get some prices from a shop to make more just to see.

Your thread says Saginaw in the title, but your project involves a Volvo. Is the Volvo a Saginaw pump?

It is. I has a metric output fitting, unlike domestic applications. According to Arron, the mounting bracket might even be adaptable to our factory PS pumps.

Still planning on makin it over tomorrow Arron. If she's off work at a decent time, I'll bring Ashley with me too. She's starting to slowly feel better and get back to her old self.

Volvos use the standard sag pump. They also use the proper width pulley for the toy belts..

GM stuff uses the wrong pulley.

That's cool. My pump is working OK for now, but cheap upgrades are always interesting.

My thoughts exactly. And if the Sag pump will allow for enough throughput to run ram assist and hydroboost brakes, there's yet another reason to go for it.

It is. I has a metric output fitting, unlike domestic applications. According to Arron, the mounting bracket might even be adaptable to our factory PS pumps.

The casting is stamped "METRIC" on the snout behind the pulley. You can sort of make out the word in the side by side picture.

The Volvo bracket is pretty beefy and weldable, I'm going to try and use it.

The casting is stamped "METRIC" on the snout behind the pulley. You can sort of make out the word in the side by side picture.

The Volvo bracket is pretty beefy and weldable, I'm going to try and use it.

A few blasts of carb cleaner would take care of that dirt on there :D

And if the Sag pump will allow for enough throughput to run ram assist and hydroboost brakes, there's yet another reason to go for it.

Well, if you don't mind either losing power assist on your brakes or your steering when you need them, that idea is fine.

My CC F350 with hydroboost breaks loses steering when you romp on the brakes..

I am not a fan of hydroboost brakes at all. Unless they are run with a sperate pump..

Well, if you don't mind either losing power assist on your brakes or your steering when you need them, that idea is fine.

My CC F350 with hydroboost breaks loses steering when you romp on the brakes..

I am not a fan of hydroboost brakes at all. Unless they are run with a sperate pump..

Does the booster have an accumulator on it? My understanding is that the accumulator is there to prevent this (same reason we have accumulators connected to critical hydraulic components on our jets). I know nothing about Ford's boosters, but I know the GM booster I have has an accumulator.

Yep, every hydroboosted vehicle that I have driven has this issue occasionally..

Like I said, not a fan..

Bump for Aaron.

I oughtta come over after I get back for a beer, cigar, and fabrication day.....after Britt and me finish the H55 conversion on my 62 :D

I haven't gone any farther, sorry. I've been just driving the wagon and enjoying it. I've also been spending free time mountain biking.

It's on my list of things to do, but I just haven't been into working on the wagon and the stock pump has been working well so I don't even think about it.

I haven't gone any farther, sorry. I've been just driving the wagon and enjoying it. I've also been spending free time mountain biking.

It's on my list of things to do, but I just haven't been into working on the wagon and the stock pump has been working well so I don't even think about it.

Well maybe it's time to figure something out :D

Britt's got an older stick welder that he said he'd let me keep at my place, and I'm going to do up a cord that'll let me plug it into the dryer outlet in my laundry room and reach out into the driveway (or garage). You're invited to come on over for a Cruiser wrenching day during my time off once I get back. I'll be sure to have beer in the fridge.

There are a lot of FJ60 saginaw pump write ups, but the FJ62 is a different set up. My stock power steering pump growls and grinds and leaks. This last Saturday I went to the Pull-n-Save and picked up a $13 PS pump from a Volvo 740 or something like that. It looked the same as the one in the 240, but not as oily.

Pictures (as links because they are very big):
Volvo Hose End (blurry, I'll try to get a better picture)

PS Pump inlets, Toyota on the right

Pump side by side

Toyota hose threads

Toyota Hose End

So this is the beginning. I'm slow and I like to think about things so who knows how long this will take. What ever bracket I make will be drawn up and maybe I can get some prices from a shop to make more just to see.

Looks like all these links are dead. Anybody have cached copies?

erikgil said:
Looks like all these links are dead. Anybody have cached copies?

Well, pulled the OEM used pump, and the Volvo pump is not gonna fit the fj62 without some fab - at a much later date...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom