2000 A/C Woes, Fixed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Just thought I'd make a post about my A/C problem and solution.

Over the course of about a month the A/C went from working like normal, to intermittent, to completely inoperative. Much like the scores of other threads I've read on the subject.

About half way through the problems I did a few preliminary checks and found that a) the compressor was still running, b) I could discharge a fair amount of pressure by quickly testing the schrader valves on both H & L ports, and c) there was no noticeable leaks of liquid along the piping of the system or anywhere else.

A couple weeks later, now that I've had the time to really get into it, I started once again checking to see if the compressor would kick on with the AC button pushed. I was surprised when it would not, having known that a couple weeks prior it had been working as advertised. So began my further research into the system's operation where I discovered that as the pressure in the system bleeds off, at a certain setting the compressor will not kick on in order to prevent the unit from running without lubrication. Frickin genius and I'm thankful that this 15 year old truck still works as its supposed to. Then I tested the schrader valves once more and the pressure was quite weak. So my logic told me that there simply must be a slow leak.

I knew I had better look real close at the plumbing in hopes of finding a leak. It wasn't long before I saw where a tube to the rear unit had been rubbing on the gusset of my slider along the frame. But it was covered in foam so the contact wasn't completely visible. I cut off the foam, muscled the tube to the side and revealed what might be a corrosion type of pinhole in that contact spot. I then saw the slight moisture from the leakage, but it certainly wasn't the large mess I was searching for, this was evidence of a very small slow leak I thought. So I cleaned it and picked at it until the hole was fully punctured and it let the rest of the gas out into the atmosphere (sorry about that :().

Rather than trying to order that section of hose I just figured I'd go for some JB Weld being that it was such a small hole. I generally don't use that stuff much but this seemed like the perfect solution. Time will tell I suppose. I reinforced the wear area with what I had on hand. It looks, and is hokey, but some hose and zip ties were all I could muster after about 10 minutes of rummaging for the perfect guard...

IMG_6431.JPG IMG_6432.JPG IMG_6433.JPG IMG_6436.JPG IMG_6438.JPG

After the repair it was a quick run to the store for a $35 can of A/C Pro and 15 minutes later I had cold air once again! The product also is supposed to have a sealing element which should also help with that tiny pinhole from the inside. I'm hoping it stays that way and that this wasn't just one of a number of other problems with it. Hopefully there won't be a follow up to this thread and it will continue to work as it should.

Notes:
I was puzzled about the difference between the Hi and Low side of the system. The instructions all talked about servicing the low side only so I couldn't understand how I was going to get the high side filled. Well, it is the same system. When one schrader indicates empty the other will as well. IOW they are not a separate source of gas, one side is just pressurized by the compressor... duh right? I know...

Yes, as a result of posting these pictures I was shamed into pressure washing my filthy engine bay (carefully) today, and yeah, I've been meaning to get down there with some black paint too...

/Hawkdriver, just checking in to see how your repair held up the last two summers. Are you still good to go?

I fixed mine today using Devcon epoxy, it's rated for 1900 PSI and chemical resistant so time will tell. It was hard to get it to set up and keep from dripping but a combo of wrapping paper and perseverance seem to have done the job, I've got two coats on it now and will add the third and final coat tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, I'm ordering the Dorman 800-673 Air conditioning line splice kit for 5/16 line and throw it in the toolbox ($36 on Amazon). While I think the epoxy will hold, I'm in Angola and I'd rather have a spare than wait 3-4 weeks in the dead of summer for the mail to arrive. Anyway, this kit looks like the correct way to repair this all too common issue and it only costs $36 instead of the crazy $1500-$2100 estimates I've been reading about.

I fixed mine today using Devcon epoxy, it's rated for 1900 PSI and chemical resistant so time will tell. It was hard to get it to set up and keep from dripping but a combo of wrapping paper and perseverance seem to have done the job, I've got two coats on it now and will add the third and final coat tomorrow morning.

Alright, I just pressure tested and while I didn't hear a hiss, I could still tell that their was a slight leak (a freon charge would probably last a few weeks). If I was in the States, I'd pull a vacuum on it and then add more epoxy but alas, I'm on another continent without the comforts of home. SO, I'm about to order the Dorman kit and will post up when it arrives and how the install went. The last thing to check before ordering is to make sure those are 5/16 lines....I'm 99% sure they are based on what I read but want to complete my due diligence so that I'm 100%.

Last edited:
The Dorman came in the mail and I went ahead and installed it. It was pretty simple, I just cut out the damaged section of line, measured, and installed the new hose. I thought it was going to be a stainless hose but it turned out to be rubber, which wasn't an issue as it went on very well and looks to be a long lasting repair.

I recharged the system, tested for leaks and found none,, and am now enjoying cold air.

Sent from my C6730

In the meantime, I'm ordering the Dorman 800-673 Air conditioning line splice kit for 5/16 line and throw it in the toolbox ($36 on Amazon). While I think the epoxy will hold, I'm in Angola and I'd rather have a spare than wait 3-4 weeks in the dead of summer for the mail to arrive. Anyway, this kit looks like the correct way to repair this all too common issue and it only costs $36 instead of the crazy $1500-$2100 estimates I've been reading about.

Was your breach in the same place as the OP?

Was your breach in the same place as the OP?
His was a little bit farther back than mine was, mine was in the commons spot in the passenger wheel well. That said, as long as you can get a wrench to tighten up the kit you should be good to go.

If I ever have to do the repair in another section of line, I think I will try and flare each end of the tube, use the same AC rated rubber hose, and not buy the kit. With a long enough section of hose, multiple hose clamps, and a good flare, I think it would also solve the issue.

That's not to say that I was not happy with the kit, I just think it could be done cheaper and still be a lasting repair.

wondering if an 8mm splice kit would work in this case or is 5/16" actually a better fit?

Digging this one up again....

Today marks the second or third time the AC blows hot. I have replaced the fan and mechanic replaced relay. I don’t know where to look next. I looked at the pics but not entirely sure where the area is.

I’m thinking of taking it to an AC shop. Any clues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom