80 Series bread board Sleeper+Drawer(s). Stealth and easy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

With a broken ankle hindering my ski touring this winter, I have set out to design and build a fully contained sleeping system for my 81. I wanted something that I did not have to plan ahead to use (i.e. remove seats ahead of time, load pieces of a temp set up, etc) and I wanted to be able to accomplish this while having the back seats in at all times. Basically, I want to be able to sleep comfortable in my truck with no notice, with a clean, stealth setup, and have (surprisingly) not sen anything of the sort yet. So here you go! Please excuse the less than perfect welds... Alu is new for me and is apparently a totally new ballgame!

1. Here is the basic frame. Look carefully, there is a “breadboard” sitting inside the top frame.

2. The “breadboard” slid out

3. Here is the front while stowed. As you can see, the supporting legs are stowed in the sleeves. these simply pull out and flip the long way down when the board is extended for the end supports

4. breadboard extended, clearing the seats (woo hoo!) and the legs rotated into their fully extended position.

5. And here ya go, 6’8 of sleeping glory that can be slid out in a matter of about a minute. Yes i know there is 3/8’s step between sections, but if you sleep in your car or on the ground as much as I do this is not going to bother you. If you were that bothered, you could just use a thicker air mattress.

At some point, I will install a typical drawer system under the deck, but the ankle is on the mend, so I will probably be skiing instead!

Cheers!

DSCN0681.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg

DSCN0683.jpg

DSCN0684.jpg

Last edited:
links don't work

Great idea and good execution. This will solve several problems at once for those who can't limit themselves with a full-on sleeper setup.:beer:

Nice setup....any pictures after you installed the drawers ?

Great idea and good execution. This will solve several problems at once for those who can't limit themselves with a full-on sleeper setup.:beer:

▲ X2 ▲

I'm sure the same style set up would work great for the common 1/2 width needs also

Nice and simple, love the idea of keeping the 2nd row seats.

This is cool. I really like this design. My son and I are going on a fishing trip in two weeks. Was game planning a design to build before then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom