'73 Backup Light Lens Replacement Idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserkreutz

SILVER Star
Threads
After searching for months looking to replace my cracked backup light lens, I finally figured out a satisfactory replacement. A new OEM replacement is non existent and I could not track down a used lens. This will help out very few of you 40 owners since the '73 model is the only year that came with this style of backup light, but if I can save one person all the time I spent looking, it's worth me posting.....:grinpimp:

While walking through a local farm supply store I saw some driving lights they were selling that looked about the right size as my backup light lens. A quick measurement and sure enough, the new lens looked like it would fight in the original bezel:popcorn: I was almost ready to spend the $30 to buy the lights when I thought I'd contact the light manufacturer and see if the sell just a replacement lens:hmm: Sure enough, they directed me to a website and their it was! http://www.foxtaillights.com/pmc-4473.html
Only $2.99 plus $6.97 shipping..... Not bad. I wasn't sure if it would be an EXACT fit, but I figured I could make it work somehow.

When it arrived, I compared it to the bezel and it fit inside of it but the lens was slightly smaller. I would have to make a trim piece to hold the new lens tight against the bezel. I cut out template from thin card board and was planning on making a permanent one out of some thin sheet metal.

While pondering making the sheet meta,l I came in the house to grab something to eat (can't think on an empty stomach) and saw my :princess:'s Rubbermaid container in the kitchen.......:hmm: The lid would make a great trim piece...... Easy to cut...... Durable...... And right their..... Well I just "borrowed" it. One advantage to having 5 kids is things frequently just disapear:D

Everything went together well and while the finished product is not OEM, it looks much better than the cracked one....:bounce::bounce2:
001.JPG
002.JPG
005.JPG

if your wife checks up on you, you're busted

That is SUPER :cool:

Cruiser karma to you sir.:beer:

This is awesome....makes me want to buy a 73.

Thanks for the compliments. As an update, the replacement lens is still working great almost a year later.

Yes, I love '73's... Both my '40 (which my parents bought brand new) and my princess are of 1973 vintage!

Here are some pictures of the Cruiser back in the day, and how it looks now.

Posted via IH8MUD app
1392240576774.jpg
1392240597751.jpg

Just an FYI, cleaning up around the shop, I’v Discovered a small cache of this unobtanium. These are NOT available for routine sales, but are negotiable for those committed to using my shop as a main resource for their restoration:

15E74EBF-ECDE-4D9C-9E28-17A1E790AC12.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom