Not another fj60 gas tank recall issue. Called Toyota corporate today. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. With all the talk of buyback for the 62's due to no more gas tanks in stock, I decided to go to my nearest dealer (Hanlees) and set up an appointment. I should have known if was not going to be that easy. I first walked in to service and gave the gal at the service desk the sch peel(sp) of the recall and that I went to the official toyota site and it came back that there is an open recall for a replacement gas tank. It has never been done on my 60. She asked me for the vin and it did NOT show up in her system. I snapped a picture of the vin tag. She tried it again and same thing. She asked what year the vehicle was. I told her 85. You guys should have seen the face she made. Pretty much like wtf? She told me to call toyota corporate.
So today I finally got a chance to call toyota. To make the story short since it seems like I spent over an hour on the phone with them, they were finally able to connect me with Toyota of SF. I opened up a case with corporate for future reference. I was told that all the parts are available minus the damn gas tank. The guy at SF toyota informed me that gas tank part #02160 does not have a superseded part number. Is this true? He did call me back later in the day and said he would do some more research and would contact some toyota engineering or parts division or something. So my question is for the guys that work at the dealerships. ARE THERE ANY 60 TANKS STILL AVAILABLE?

I guess I going to go the man a fre long range tank. By the way. There's a few goodies I need to purchase from you.

Yes, according to a few people in the know here, the 60 tanks ARE available. The 62 tanks are NLA.

Toyota replaced the tank in my 1986 FJ60 exactly one week ago today. The entire parts kit was available, only took the dealership a couple or three days for all the parts to arrive. Part number for the tank is 77001-60241.

I'm wondering if these guys at dealerships are saying no due to the age and really dont want to deal with an old car. I will give them that part number.

I just had my tank replaced in August. '87 FJ60. All parts were available. I actually pitted two places against each other and got a bit of a deal. Not sure why they told you NLA. My Toyota dealership was in VT. Lots of old cars trying to make it up here, so less of a surprise for the dealership, I guess.

Gas tanks are readily available.

Tell the parts guys to stop being so damn lazy and order the damn part.

Ugh. And people wonder why I had enough of the dealer world.

Gas tanks for 60s and 62s are still available?

1) Go here Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN
2) Type in your VIN. Don't mistake a 0 (zero) for an O; i.e. FJ60 not FJ6O.
3) If report comes back that the tank recall has not been done print the page.
4) With printed page in hand return to dealer and talk to service manager.
5) Few days later have new tank, hoses, clips, etc.
6) Should cost you $0,000.00.

I had a similar experience. Stopped at Toyota one day and had my VIN run by a guy behind the counter and he said that the tank had been replaced. I later did the above.

If your rear seat belts have not had the recall done don't bother because the replacement belts will work just as poorly as the originals.

So i called the guy in service. He wont be back until next week. That explains him blowing me off. I will go in person.

I was able to speak to someone at sf toyota in service that has lc knowledge and is an 80 owner. Parts will be in within a few days. I believe the first guy doesnt even know the difference between 60 and 62.

So, is there a 2d fuel tank recall? My 84 FJ60 had the original recall done in 1986(?). A VIN search doesn't show a 2d one, so there must be a secret to getting Toyota to fess up. Calling Corp is a good idea.
Anything else about this?

there are two different trucks involved...62's and 60's... apparently tanks are still out there for 60's....no tanks for 62's.

only one recall per model on the fuel tanks based on what I've read...

Thanks for the link Godwin. My 60 thankfully came out clean.:beer:

Hi guys. With all the talk of buyback for the 62's due to no more gas tanks in stock,

?? You mean 62's that haven't had gas tank recall are being bought back by Toyota? Haven't heard a thing about this, not that it would apply to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom