0 to 60 times. How slow/fast is your 80? w/ videos (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad you chimed in. Actually read some of your posts today on your turbo build. Good stuff!!

Chinese made - CX racing turbo:
0.70 A/R Compressor, 0.96 A/R Turbine
- 4" Air Inlet, 2.5" Air outlet
- 3" V-Band Exhaust
- Wet Floating Bearings
- Oil Cooled
- 50mm 10 psi Wastegate

With stock transmission.

In addition to your well educated guess, any advice is appreciated!

Glad you chimed in. Actually read some of your posts today on your turbo build. Good stuff!!

- 3" V-Band Exhaust
- Wet Floating Bearings
- Oil Cooled
- 50mm 10 psi Wastegate

With stock transmission.

How are you controlling/manipulating the ECU and what size injectors are you running ?

James & Scott, you guys are about 3 hours from each other. I say a 80 drag race is required with multi-cam shots of course.

I actually drove the Landcruiser that CXRacing test fitted and produced that turbo kit on. It worked great but had a lot of lag. Didn't really kick in until close to 4k but then screams.

So much awesomeness with these forced induction set ups. I want to make my 3FE sound cooler and go faster badly.

Ok cool, do you have a build thread going on somewhere? I do have a lot of questions and some comments.

First it looks like your truck is setup to wheel? I am afraid with that turbo you are not going to be happy with the outcome. Like 2kcruiser stated a 70mm cast wheel, bushing, turbo is going to be fairly slow to spool.

Second what are you using for injectors and a computer like half k asked.

Third I am really afraid your transmission will not last long if you do get a 70mm turbo pushing 15psi and a free flowing exhaust. At the very least do the shift kit to keep the clutches from slipping and I can't remember if the 94's had the large external trans cooler?

Check your drive shaft joints as well.

Sounds like a very cool build! Can't wait to hear about the outcome and if you aren't immediately happy with it, I am sure stepping down to a 58-62mm CNC turbo will change the feel drastically.

- 3" V-Band Exhaust
- Wet Floating Bearings
- Oil Cooled
- 50mm 10 psi Wastegate

With stock transmission.

Ok cool, do you have a build thread going on somewhere? I do have a lot of questions and some comments.

First it looks like your truck is setup to wheel? I am afraid with that turbo you are not going to be happy with the outcome. Like 2kcruiser stated a 70mm cast wheel, bushing, turbo is going to be fairly slow to spool.

Second what are you using for injectors and a computer like half k asked.

Third I am really afraid your transmission will not last long if you do get a 70mm turbo pushing 15psi and a free flowing exhaust. At the very least do the shift kit to keep the clutches from slipping and I can't remember if the 94's had the large external trans cooler?

Check your drive shaft joints as well.

Sounds like a very cool build! Can't wait to hear about the outcome and if you aren't immediately happy with it, I am sure stepping down to a 58-62mm CNC turbo will change the feel drastically.
So, no real build thread to speak of. I'm having a speedshop locally do the work.

It is set up to wheel - but obviously I drive on the street for a lot of the time :) I have heard the spooling/lag with the bigger turbo could be an issue. Tuner is using a Emanage ultimate piggyback. The injectors are matched and flow tested from a wrx with 440cc. Upgraded walbro fuel pump, and just re-read and he's planning on 14psi with a target of 480-500 crank HP. Going to be running 2 maps. 1 for wheeling/daily driving and one for all out 93 octane blasts...

So your comment on the transmission is appreciated. Do you have a link for the shift kit? not sure on the external transmission cooler - but I'll google that and see.

Drive shafts are solid, and as stated the new cromoly axles and birfs are next on the list.

Again thanks for the advice. Saw your build thread and definitely wanted to get your input on this build.

There's pics in this thread on our local group page: New to me - FZJ80 on 40's

Yes in some ways your 94 will be much easier to make work than the later 95-97 OBDII trucks. I think piggyback should work well.

The shift kit that you are looking for is from Transgo. Get the deluxe kit it is still very cheap compared to one of the transmission builders like Wholesale, IPT, Level10, etc. Plus you know it is done right if you do it.

I believe some trucks didn't have the transcooler but I could be wrong. It is very easy to check as it is the cooler in front of the AC condenser on the drivers side.

I havent timed it, but I did drag race a 96 4runner (stock) with my 96 80(also stock) this past weekend on a sand strip. I'd say it hit 60 in 4lo in under 10 seconds.... Actually... I'm quite ceartain it was under 10 seconds. prolly closer to 7 or 8. I was amazed.... it spun the tires on every shift, and left the 4runner in the dust :D

I havent timed it, but I did drag race a 96 4runner (stock) with my 96 80(also stock) this past weekend on a sand strip. I'd say it hit 60 in 4lo in under 10 seconds.... Actually... I'm quite ceartain it was under 10 seconds. prolly closer to 7 or 8. I was amazed.... it spun the tires on every shift, and left the 4runner in the dust :D
Never thought of the low range 0-60. Pretty cool

Yes in some ways your 94 will be much easier to make work than the later 95-97 OBDII trucks. I think piggyback should work well.

The shift kit that you are looking for is from Transgo. Get the deluxe kit it is still very cheap compared to one of the transmission builders like Wholesale, IPT, Level10, etc. Plus you know it is done right if you do it.

I believe some trucks didn't have the transcooler but I could be wrong. It is very easy to check as it is the cooler in front of the AC condenser on the drivers side.
I don't see a shift kit for the a442f on their site. Discontinued perhaps? Derailing the thread a little. Sorry.

Oh I don't know about the A442. I only have experience with the A343. I do know Wholesale does an A442 valve body but it is way more expensive.

I don't see a shift kit for the a442f on their site. Discontinued perhaps? Derailing the thread a little. Sorry.

James & Scott, you guys are about 3 hours from each other. I say a 80 drag race is required with multi-cam shots of course.
You did see that I have 40" tires, right? I'm just hoping to be under 10 seconds. I won't win any races...

You did see that I have 40" tires, right? I'm just hoping to be under 10 seconds. I won't win any races...

I'm curious, if you are spending this much money for tuning, huge tires, chromoly shafts, why are you going with the cheap CXRacing turbo setup ?

Your 80 must shift up into 4th or OD in 4low. Mine will not nor will it approach 60 in 4low unless driven off a cliff.

Idk about o.d., but it def shifted into 4th. I was super impressed at the torque even when it shifted at 50mph, it spun the tires, locked and all :D

Your truck, you do what you want. I was just curious if your going through the trouble and the money to build it the way you are, why not get a turbo system that is more tailored to your rig ? You don't seem to be cutting corners with axles, tires, tuning, etc.

It's a kit built specifically for this truck. What would you have suggested instead?

It's a kit built specifically for this truck. What would you have suggested instead?

I would suggest starting a build thread. It will not only help others to better answer your questions, but is a good way to log your modifications for future reference. Nice place to put some before and after shots of your rig as well. As for the "kit" they throw those together for all manner of vehicles, it does not mean it is custom tailored to your engine. The only real custom thing about it is going to be the manifold. I have actually thought about using the CX manifold for a turbo build of my own, but am debating due to the cracking issues. @scottryana did a very nice thread on how to do turbo for just under $2000. Roughly twice the cost of the CX kit, but much higher quality and longer lasting components. I recommend reading it and seeing what you think. He has been running turbo for some time and is quite helpful with his knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom