Common rust areas - Is there hope for a LC100 purchase in the midwest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sorry its night out now will take pics tomorrow and post to me its looks bad but all I can say is that I got it Oct 2005 and all I can complain about is a rust tail gate; I'm happy hey by the way my 2006 LX470 is worth more by KBB then my wife 2013 X5 lol. she wants a new car :(

IMG_4343-2.JPG
ok ran out real quick but its night

When I lived in Milwaukee we would fly down to the south and buy our cars from there and drive them back. I had buddy that had a flatbed and we would use that to go pick them up too.

Just a friendly tip, even because it's down here make sure before you decide to fly down to check the carfax to see where it spent its life. A lot of dealers here will buy cars from NY/NJ because they are cheaper and try to sell them here at a good markup. It really irritates me they even do that but that's life. I've looked at several lc/lx's here and I'd say a little more then half of them have been up north most of their life. I live in NC now.

I spend a lot $$ each week when weather permits in winter, at car wash with flexible wand. Like the flexible wand to get underneath and in the wheel wells. Yet I found this rust in rear wheel well:
9-23-15 rust (3).JPG

Hey gang, the search is over. Finally found a nice 2005 that is mostly rust-free. Couple little spots here and there in the upper tail gate at the license plate lights but I'll hit those with some POR15 soon enough. I looked at 5 different series 100's total, and almost bought a 200 series (the difference being downpayment vs. buying a 100 flat out). Love the 200's but a paid-for 100 sure feels great. The 200s after 7 or so winters had pretty rusty undercarriages but great body rustproofing vs. the 100 from what I saw. The 100s I looked at were all over the board with regard to rust. The worst one was that 06. I also looked at a 99, 01, and 04 all with wildly varying rust quotient.

Hey gang, the search is over. Finally found a nice 2005 that is mostly rust-free. Couple little spots here and there in the upper tail gate at the license plate lights but I'll hit those with some POR15 soon enough. I looked at 5 different series 100's total, and almost bought a 200 series (the difference being downpayment vs. buying a 100 flat out). Love the 200's but a paid-for 100 sure feels great. The 200s after 7 or so winters had pretty rusty undercarriages but great body rustproofing vs. the 100 from what I saw. The 100s I looked at were all over the board with regard to rust. The worst one was that 06. I also looked at a 99, 01, and 04 all with wildly varying rust quotient.

Congrats! '05 is definitely the best year to buy as it's the fastest, most dependable, best looking 100 series ;) Of course, pics must be supplied :)

since we are on this subject and winter is coming
What are some good preventive measures for avoiding rust ?

I purchased a 2000 lx470 in Feb of this year. From my research it was a two owner from WI and SD. It has undercarriage surface rust. Only rust on the body is on the upper tailgate, around the license plate lights and there is a bubble under the paint on the lower tailgate near the lower tailgate handle... not too bad I guess...
Any idea how to remove that chrome molding around the license plate? Mine is rusty around there and I need to figure out how to remove the molding to get at it with a grinder/bondo/paint. Thanks!

Rather than drag a nice well treated 100 into the rust belt save yourself and move to one of the western or southern states.

Hey y’all, I am new here and I’m looking for some direction in potentially buying a LC. I’m going to look at a 100 series that was previously up north that was garage kept and owner states it was under coated yearly when up north. I’m attaching pictures. Essentially I want a good reliable truck. I’ve watched YouTube videos and seen pictures but I can’t find out based on these pictures if it should be a deal breaker or not. It’s a 99 with 139k miles, I punched in the VIN number online and found these pictures on a history check. Im attaching the worst of them please let me know what you think!

41D2A071-B80B-4687-8835-0690FF14DE2E.jpeg

2A65E62E-3205-4F9A-B8D5-F8D5B04873BF.jpeg

08CF7A54-9054-4E67-BFF3-144ED5EB3EAA.jpeg

91476C51-CE17-4340-9DED-B78D1D5B6892.jpeg

ED56E337-0E51-40C8-80DB-6637CF33B5FF.jpeg

From my experience- once you use rattle can black tar-like "undercoating" over exiting rust- it rusts faster.

I made this mistake a few years back on my 2005 Astro van and after one salty winter up here in the mountain-- the undercoating came off in sheets along with a bunch of new rust scales.

If he had it undercoated each year with oil or a lanolin-based product like Fluid Film, it would be a truck to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom