Black Balsam (with Upstate Cruisers) October 15-18, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool, hope to be able to make it, is there some picutres of previous events? Never been up to Black Balsam, sounds like light wheeling but maybe good for the wife and dog.

I wouldn't really call it wheeling. Stock cruiser on 31's can drive in as long as you pay attention. Although, we did have to unstick a stock F150 4x4 twice last year. Just a real narrow trail lined with blackberries. Paint will take a beating. I'm going up Friday this year. Some guys will be there Thursday. The last several pages of this thread have some pics, Black Balsam 2014 October 24-26th.

Weather was perfect last year, but the possibility of howling winds and frigid temps is always there.

Just make sure if you bring a tent to have one that seals up completely! The wind can be brutal. Thankfully I had my two kids that put out a massive amount of BTU's keep me warm lol! I'm thinking 80 with a buddy heater this year, I was envious of marshmallows tent as my kids called Marshalls 80 tent conversion.

image-jpg.958648

image-jpg.958651

image-jpg.958688

image-jpg.958689

img_20141025_083506088_hdr-jpg.958267

img_20141025_083449157_hdr-jpg.958268

Me working with what I had on the Grilled Cheese.

image-jpg.958222

image-jpg.958223

Hahahahahahahaha! I don't think I've ever seen a wood saw used to fix a land cruiser before. That's awesome!

Once again I have a prior engagement that conflicts with this event :frown:

My son's birthday is October 20th. I wish I could make this trip.

If there's enough interest, what about something in November?

I just realized I still had fender flares then and my rear quarter panels weren't dented in:grinpimp::smokin:

I was thinking about doing a hike up to shining rock if we have time. I will bring a small day pack with me in case. Not sure if anyone else wants to join.

I was thinking about doing a hike up to shining rock if we have time. I will bring a small day pack with me in case. Not sure if anyone else wants to join.
Sounds like fun, I'm down. I'm sure Sarah would join.

I may be up for it, depending how hung over I am. Kind of depends on if the sweat lodge kids are back again.
Sounds like fun, I'm down. I'm sure Sarah would join.
If you and I both go, will you carry a cooler of beer along the trail for me?

I posted this on the UC forum as well, but wanted to get it over here.

We are going to do a pot luck dinner on Saturday night this year. I'm going to bring my big cast iron pot and either do chili or bratwurst and peppers and onions. I'm also going to bring my campfire grill, so everyone will be able to use that. Hopefully we get the same weather as last year so we can have fires. If that's the case, I'm going to load my trailer up with wood and some tables for food most likely.

So, moral of the story, bring some food to cook Saturday night to share; no, you don't need to bring enough for everyone; no, I am not making a formal list of who's bringing what. Even if we have duplicate stuff, I'm sure it will all get eaten.

Also note we usually take a trip out Saturday and go eat lunch at Pisgah Inn. Pisgah Inn | The Peak of the Parkway

We usually leave out at 10 and get there around 11-11:30. Usually have people meet us there who just want to hang out for a couple hours. Then most of the group heads back to camp or some go up to Mt Mitchell but that's a ton of driving there and back. A good 4 hrs. But if the weather is really nice it's worth it.

I may be up for it, depending how hung over I am. Kind of depends on if the sweat lodge kids are back again.

If you and I both go, will you carry a cooler of beer along the trail for me?
I am sure we could fill my camelbak with booze! May want to stay away from the edge of shining rock though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom