Fair market value for my '79 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is crazy...I know, but after owning my FJ40 for the past 18 years (my first car to now) I am considering selling it. My current life situation makes it hard to justify keeping it.

My wife is currently pregnant with twin girls, we also have two boys 4 & 6. We are not in any kind of financial hardship, but I have no time to work on the cruiser and it needs more attention than I can give it. I would rather see if go to someone who can use it and enjoy it than see it sit.

Here are the specs as it sits:

1979 FJ40
153,8xx miles
Original engine (no rebuild), MAF tuned port headers, rebuilt original carb, desmogged
H42 and split case from '82 FJ60
Saginaw power steering, borgeson steering shaft
4 wheel discs (4 runner front caliper upgrade, chevy rears)
2.5" skyjacker springs, 1.5" MAF shackles, rancho RS9000 shocks
33x12.5x15 super swamper SSR's, procomp 15x10 wheels
Interior: Roll cage, Mitsubishi Mirage seats, tuffy stereo center console, grant steering wheel
Exterior: TJ rear flares, Custom front bumper with MAF brush guard, custom rear bumper
Electrical: Roundeyes headlights, Diehard Platinum battery

Here is a gallery that shows what shape it is in:
FJ40

In 2000 it was repainted, both rear quarter panels, fenderwell tops, & drivers side floor pan were replaced (CCOT panels) as well as various patch work performed to remove rust. It was painted with 2 stage paint (base/clear) in the factory blue color and the interior was professionally sprayed with bedliner. The rear discs were installed in 2001, the saginaw steering was installed in 2003. I have done all of the work on the vehicle myself with the exception of the bedliner.

Following is what work has been done on it recently:

- H42 and split case from '82 FJ60, replaced trans input, intermediate and rear tcase output seals, installed top cover from FJ40 H42, new inner shift boot, new shift knob, new OEM U joints in rear driveshaft, new OEM driveshaft bolts at diff end, new rear t-case output flange, new speedo cable
- Rebuilt OEM carb with keyster kit, new accel pump, new secondary diaphragm, new OEM denso spark plugs, lean drop tune
- New oil pan gasket, new remflex manifold gasket, repainted MAF tuned port headers, new 2.5" exhaust system with dynomax RV muffler, no Cat
- Correctly done desmog** (removed EGR and AI) OEM AI plugs in head
- New OEM radiator cap, radiator overflow and windshield washer reservoir, new OEM windshield washer pump and nozzle
- Repainted wiper arms, new OEM wiper nut caps
- New die hard platinum battery in ruffstuff specialties battery box, new OEM fuse box cover
- The engine has Amsoil Z-rod 20-50 oil in it, Amsoil GL4 in the trans, Amsoil severe gear in the T-case

The bad stuff that will lower the value or make it harder to sell:
- **It is desmogged, I don't know if it will pass emissions
- There are rust locations: fronts of quarter panels, right front fender, bib, rear sill, some locations in the floor of the tub, the clear coat on the hood is peeling in a few spots, the TJ flares are faded
- There are some things that I think need to be redone: Roll cage, seat mount, the headliner is gone
- It has no parking brake

Extras I have for it:
82 FJ60 2F (condition unknown), bellhousing, flywheel, spare head (condition unknown)
Most of the parts that have been taken off of it: Stock front and rear seats (goodish condition, some rips but not totally shot), stock springs, 4 speed with 1 piece t-case, spare 1 piece t-case housing and misc parts, stock side mirrors, center console (fair condition), rubber floor mats (fair-good condition), stock tool kit and bag, spare tire carrier, front bumper, dash pads (fair condition), original smog equipment that was removed, other stuff I cant remember.

I think there are certain aspects of the vehicle that are pretty nice, it runs great and has a lot of new parts, the split case is way quieter than the old 1 piece t-case. There are also some aspects that are a little rougher such as the rust. With all that in mind what is a fair value for the vehicle?

Last edited:
What part of Colorado are you in? I can't really help with the value, but it sure looks like a pretty nice truck! If you have any possible interest in a LHD diesel troopy (bj45) in some sort of trade, to keep you & the growing family in a 40 series, let me know... :). It is already titles in CO, so would be an easy trade.
Best
Abe

I am in Brighton (north Denver metro).

That is more than I would have thought, I would rather see it go to a fellow mudder than on ebay, I know very little about selling a car on ebay.

With the rust it has (and has hiding) I'd say the 20K estimate is way high.

Rust is the devil on these trucks.

This is crazy...I know, but after owning my FJ40 for the past 18 years (my first car to now) I am considering selling it. My current life situation makes it hard to justify keeping it.

My wife is currently pregnant with twin girls, we also have two boys 4 & 6. We are not in any kind of financial hardship, but I have no time to work on the cruiser and it needs more attention than I can give it. I would rather see if go to someone who can use it and enjoy it than see it sit.

Here are the specs as it sits:

1979 FJ40
153,8xx miles
Original engine (no rebuild), MAF tuned port headers, rebuilt original carb, desmogged
H42 and split case from '82 FJ60
Saginaw power steering, borgeson steering shaft
4 wheel discs (4 runner front caliper upgrade, chevy rears)
2.5" skyjacker springs, 1.5" MAF shackles, rancho RS9000 shocks
33x12.5x15 super swamper SSR's, procomp 15x10 wheels
Interior: Roll cage, Mitsubishi Mirage seats, tuffy stereo center console, grant steering wheel
Exterior: TJ rear flares, Custom front bumper with MAF brush guard, custom rear bumper
Electrical: Roundeyes headlights, Diehard Platinum battery

Here is a gallery that shows what shape it is in:
FJ40

In 2000 it was repainted, both rear quarter panels, fenderwell tops, & drivers side floor pan were replaced (CCOT panels) as well as various patch work performed to remove rust. It was painted with 2 stage paint (base/clear) in the factory blue color and the interior was professionally sprayed with bedliner. The rear discs were installed in 2001, the saginaw steering was installed in 2003. I have done all of the work on the vehicle myself with the exception of the bedliner.

Following is what work has been done on it recently:

- H42 and split case from '82 FJ60, replaced trans input, intermediate and rear tcase output seals, installed top cover from FJ40 H42, new inner shift boot, new shift knob, new OEM U joints in rear driveshaft, new OEM driveshaft bolts at diff end, new rear t-case output flange, new speedo cable
- Rebuilt OEM carb with keyster kit, new accel pump, new secondary diaphragm, new OEM denso spark plugs, lean drop tune
- New oil pan gasket, new remflex manifold gasket, repainted MAF tuned port headers, new 2.5" exhaust system with dynomax RV muffler, no Cat
- Correctly done desmog** (removed EGR and AI) OEM AI plugs in head
- New OEM radiator cap, radiator overflow and windshield washer reservoir, new OEM windshield washer pump and nozzle
- Repainted wiper arms, new OEM wiper nut caps
- New die hard platinum battery in ruffstuff specialties battery box, new OEM fuse box cover
- The engine has Amsoil Z-rod 20-50 oil in it, Amsoil GL4 in the trans, Amsoil severe gear in the T-case

The bad stuff that will lower the value or make it harder to sell:
- **It is desmogged, I don't know if it will pass emissions
- There are rust locations: fronts of quarter panels, right front fender, bib, rear sill, some locations in the floor of the tub, the clear coat on the hood is peeling in a few spots, the TJ flares are faded
- There are some things that I think need to be redone: Roll cage, seat mount, the headliner is gone
- It has no parking brake

Extras I have for it:
82 FJ60 2F (condition unknown), bellhousing, flywheel, spare head (condition unknown)
Most of the parts that have been taken off of it: Stock front and rear seats (goodish condition, some rips but not totally shot), stock springs, 4 speed with 1 piece t-case, spare 1 piece t-case housing and misc parts, stock side mirrors, center console (fair condition), rubber floor mats (fair-good condition), stock tool kit and bag, spare tire carrier, front bumper, dash pads (fair condition), original smog equipment that was removed, other stuff I cant remember.

I think there are certain aspects of the vehicle that are pretty nice, it runs great and has a lot of new parts, the split case is way quieter than the old 1 piece t-case. There are also some aspects that are a little rougher such as the rust. With all that in mind what is a fair value for the vehicle?

TOYOLAND66, Do whatever you want to do, have as many kids as you want ;), but never ever sell your FJ40 !!

:cheers:

Last edited:
You'll regret it later. Unless you need the money bad and there is no way around.

You guys may have talked me back from the ledge. After posting this the thought of selling it was giving me anxiety. I am having a tough time finding time to do even small projects which is frustrating. However for the first time in quite a while it is very drive able and running great, and I do have a lot of parts and big plans for it.

It is garaged, I have 5 year plates on it, and the only ongoing expense I have is insuring it. I'm going to keep chipping away at it and gathering the remaining parts for the next big project, which is a set of 80/9.5 axles, FJ60 steering box, and new tires on FJ cruiser steel wheels.

:beer:

TOYOLAND66, Do whatever you want to do, have as many kids as you want ;), but never ever sell your FJ40 !!

:cheers:

X2

You guys may have talked me back from the ledge. After posting this the thought of selling it was giving me anxiety. I am having a tough time finding time to do even small projects which is frustrating. However for the first time in quite a while it is very drive able and running great, and I do have a lot of parts and big plans for it.

It is garaged, I have 5 year plates on it, and the only ongoing expense I have is insuring it. I'm going to keep chipping away at it and gathering the remaining parts for the next big project, which is a set of 80/9.5 axles, FJ60 steering box, and new tires on FJ cruiser steel wheels.

:beer:

Instead of selling I think you need to buy three more. After all your kids learned to drive in the Colorado backcountry they will all be fighting over who is going to get the 40. By then you will need to be rich to buy one at the way prices are going. Time to think ahead. At least that's my story, got my kids and grandkids covered.:rolleyes:

I can't think of too many better places than Colorado to build memories in a 40.Keep it for sure

Glad you're keeping it. But my value estimate would be 6-8k

Try some of the auto brokers or classic car auto brokers if you want to get top dollar. Consider the figures you're getting here a "low dealer wholesale" whereas you want to sell at a full retail price. What us fellow Cruiserheads will pay for an FJ40 is quite lower than what you could get if you marketed your vehicle properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom