Portsmouth Island - Nov 12-15, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here's the low-down on Portsmouth Island (PI) in the southern Outer Banks...

PI is a rugged island. There are only two things available for purchase on the island and both are sold by the park service at the Ranger Station: ice and $5/gal gas/diesel. Everything else you need for the long weekend (Thu-Sun) will need to be packed in and packed out. There is cell service on the island. I have Verizon Wireless and had between 1 and 3 bars LTE while out there.

To get to PI from Charlotte it's 345 miles and 178 miles from Raleigh.

The actual meet up point is the Morris Marina in Atlantic, NC. It's there we will make arrangements for the ferry to take us and the trucks over and arrangements for the ride back. To the extent we can coordinate the time we all want to ride over, the ferry service will make a special trip for us.

The Morris Marina has a small diner with breakfast and lunch where you can grab a bite before heading over.

$75 round trip/vehicle including 1 driver
$14 round trip/person (6 yrs old +)

If you are trailering a truck you can drop it in their yard or for a fee they will ferry it over.

The ferry ride from the marina to PI takes 30-45 minutes. Once docked at PI, the trucks drive off the ferry and are free to drive anywhere on the 22 mile long island that is between 1/2 mile and 1 mile wide. The only exceptions are areas closed for birds or turtles but the forest ranger on PI said everything should be open in November.

For sleeping arrangements there are a couple options:
1) The National Park Service for the Cape Lookout National Seashore rents duplex cabins. Most have A/C. They sleep 6 people in bunk beds, have electricity and propane stoves. See last year's thread for pics of the cabins - link below.
2) Camping is available anywhere on the beach but has to be 100 yards from the cabins or of course you can sleep in your truck. PI can be cold, windy and/or rainy so cabins are probably best.

The cabins are in high demand so earlier this year I reserved two cabins (#5 and #6). #5 is pretty much full with people that went last year and #6 is up for grabs (see attendee list below).

Once #6 is spoken for, please use the following website to reserve a Long Point Cabin, see map of the cabins, check availability, see cabin specific amenities, etc.

Fires are allowed on the beach. We'll need to bring our own firewood.

Last year was our first trip to PI and we found it's a long drive to get to the Outer Banks for most people, so to make the drive and ferry ride worth it, we found that it really makes the most sense to take a morning ferry ride on Thu, tool around the island and be at check in at 1:00pm so that we have 3 full days (Thu-Sat) to play around. Since it was such a long drive, Sun was really a get-up-and-pack-day only so people could get home at a decent time.

There is plenty of surf fishing to do as November is supposed to have some of the best fishing on the Atlantic coast for Blue, Cobia, and Drum.

Check out last year's thread for lots of pics:

Attendees (10 people; 6 trucks):

Cabin #5:
@JohnVee (John Vargosko) arriving Thu via the 3pm ferry; departing Sun on the 2:45pm ferry
@FJ Junkie (Sarah Stabley) arriving Thu via the 3pm ferry; departing Sun on the 2:45pm ferry
@forrest5000 (Eric Forest) arriving Thu via the 3pm ferry; departing Sun on the 2:45pm ferry
@77 KROOZER (Mike and Marie Shandor) arriving Thu via the 3pm ferry; departing Sun on the 8:45am ferry
@Green Hell Mustang (Alex) arriving Thu via the 3pm ferry; departing Sun on the 12:00pm ferry

Cabin #6:
@SeanLX (Sean and wife) arriving Fri via the 1pm ferry; departing Sun on the 8:45am ferry

Camping:
@RYAN BARNARD (Ryan and Ashley) arriving ?

Last edited:
I'm IN!!!! At this point, Laura is in as well.

Some additional notes after last year:

- Surf fishing is badass. Grab a license, a rod, a drum rig and some raw shrimp and you might be able to catch dinner. We did last year:
Coastal Recreational Fishing Licence

- More Firewood. I brought some last year, Shandor brought more, but we need even more than that I think. Fires on the beach are legal within the surf zone.

- A snorkel wouldn't be a bad thing :D

More to come.

Last edited:
Really wish I could make it but already have plans with family that weekend. I checked and all the other cabins are reserved though.

Really wish I could make it but already have plans with family that weekend. I checked and all the other cabins are reserved though.

I was there a few weeks ago. Fun spot.

And yes, the cabins fill up QUICK for late Sept-Nov, due to the good fishing

You can never have too much firewood, food, and beverages while on Portsmouth

I saw somewhere that 2016 season reservations open on Jan 5th at 10am. I'll have to be all over that next year to ensure we have enough to cabins reserved.

I think that's right. In addition, I believe it's also an option to camp on the beach, so if someone wants to do that, it increases our capacity per cabin.

this sounds like something really cool. I'd like to figure out how to make a day / overnight trip from Charleston with some of the LCLC crew.

I think you can camp just about anywhere on the island
Yes, but the weather can kill that quickly if you're not prepared for windy winter weather that most people wouldn't expect at the beach. I'm sure us cabin dwellers could be persuaded to allow bathroom and kitchen privileges to beach campers...for a small fee;).

I think the cabins sold it. I'm still working on convincing the better half of a few details (might be Fri. morning) but..

Count me in for 2 cabin spots. Sounds like a great time.

The wife and I are in, question is with the two kids can we still land a spot in a cabin and have them sleep on an air mattress or the floor? Or do we need to plan on camping out? Not sure how much space there is if any.

Yes #5 and #6 are rectangular cabins, not round.

@aquatech3, per the cabin reservation website, there is a max of 6 people per cabin. If there's just two of you, you can take the last two spots in cabin #6. Just confirm ASAP so those spots can be confirmed for the next people in line.

Also, if there will be four of you, watch the reservation site for cancellations and jump on it as soon as something comes available. I think since PI is so popular, people reserve cabins well in advance and then cancel last minute if they aren't going to be used.

John just brought to my attention that I haven't posted anything about the cabin rental cost.

To reserve the cabins Thu-Sun the cost was $435 each. Divide that by 6 people per cabin and it comes to $72.50 per person.

I have already paid for #5 and #6 so for those already on the attendee list please PayPal me at sstabley@icloud.com. Thank you.

PayPal Sent!

Let's plan on this. Stick Jim and Linda (@jimsmith1370 ) in Cabin #6 and we'll sleep in my truck on the beach if it ends up being full.

Does that work?

PayPal sent .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom