Problems with Tough Dog Panhard --- What did I do wrong?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I fitted adjustable panhards from Tough Dog... and now im kind of in a bind .... LITERALLY.

I did an OME 3" lift a couple months back, The axles were off, so I decided to get panhards. I looked around, and decided on the Tough Dog panhard.

The rear went on fine. Trouble is up front. The panhard cant be adjusted properly because of the differential pumpkin is scraping. Please see the pics .

I'm at a loss as to what the best method to resolve this clearance issue is. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

saved more the pics to my dropbox:
Dropbox - 80-toughdog-panhard

20150908_120617.jpg

On the right side of the truck, should there be a spacer or washer to push that end of the bar to the FRONT of the truck, opening up clearance behind? Can maybe do the same for the left side.

Don't forget, you must tighten these with the weight of the truck on the suspension.

On the right side of the truck, should there be a spacer or washer to push that end of the bar to the FRONT of the truck...

I dont see anything like that, just a bracket, I unbolted the old and in went the new....maybe im overthinking / overlooking something?

I'm saying INSIDE the bracket, does there need to be a washer to push the bar to the front of the bracket? Maybe there's no room, I don;t know. just looking at ideas.

I have never heard of anyone using Tough Dog brand, so maybe you got what you paid for? Not making judgments, just guessing.

Given Tough Dog is an oz brand - maybe they shipped an oz spec 80 panhard (RHD)....

cheers,
george.

Given Tough Dog is an oz brand - maybe they shipped an oz spec 80 panhard (RHD)....

Thanks for the reply., That is a good idea to check that. I ordered the LHD and trusted that was what I got. I'll send the dealer an email and see if we can verify part numbers, being that the bends in the bar match to where the pumpkin is, i dont really see how that could be though..... gonna make sure just in case tho :)

Well, you do have the original OEM front panhard, no? Compare the bends to the tough dog unit. There should be a bend 'away' from the front diff housing for clearance. I'm guessing from your pics that the tough dog doesn't...

cheers,
george.

yeah, the original now sleeps with the fishes... We didn't think this far ahead when we cleaned up it went to scrap. :doh: :bang:

yeah, the original now sleeps with the fishes... We didn't think this far ahead when we cleaned up it went to scrap. :doh: :bang:

Ah... well, my mum told me a long time ago that if I had nothing good to say then say nothing... I'll say nothing :)

cheers,
george.

Well, you do have the original OEM front panhard, no? // There should be a bend 'away' from the front diff housing for clearance. I'm guessing from your pics that the tough dog doesn't...

yeah, um, well, the original now sleeps with the fishes... We didn't think this far ahead when we cleaned up it went to scrap. :doh: :bang:

well, it has a 'slight' curvature over where it goes around the pumpkin, but not nearly enough to clear the fin-like thingy on the pumpkin. Hopefully I'll hear back from TD tomorrow. In all the bars are very well built, its a shame im having this weird problem after such a straightforward install.

Unfortunately, I have looked over the bar and cant seem to locate a part number to confirm it correct, geesh

Here's an OEM and you can see the curve/clearance around the front diff housing.

absout.jpg

cheers,
george.

Perhaps there is a Tough Dog panhard destined to sleep with the fishes as well.

I reached out to the manufacturer, and they replied promptly to confirm the correct part was drop shipped.

just throwing this out there.... if i did the castor correction bushings wrong when we put the lift in, could that have forced the axle forward causing the problem?

I reached out to the manufacturer, and they replied promptly to confirm the correct part was drop shipped.

just throwing this out there.... if i did the castor correction bushings wrong when we put the lift in, could that have forced the axle forward causing the problem?

Have you driven it with the bushings installed? If you got them the wrong way it'd be really sketchy.. wandering all over the place.

Not too hard to check whether they were installed correctly... the axle should be tilted back compared to bushings that put the bolts in the center of the hole for the bushing. So, look closely at where the bolt is.. on the front bushing, is the bolt closer to the top of the hole or the bottom? Should be top.

In your first picture at least, things appear to be as they should with regard to the bushing.

Any chance you swapped front to rear?

The rear panhard is straight, no bends etc. Given the OP's picture shows bends in the TD front unit he's installed, it would appear to be for the correct end...

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the help everyone.... i have driven it a few times short distance, and it actually ok, but it does track a bit... to be expected i would think with the panhards not being set properly. the axles are off quite a bit in their respective axle directions. I definitely get some scraping and NVT from where the diff is scraping with the panhard.

Yall think i should pop out these bushes and go back to OEMs? Would the caster bushing offset be enuf to actually make that big of a difference?

REALLY appreciate all you guys tho. Since falling in love with a dirty old Toyota a few months ago, this site has become an invaluable resource. Bunch of cool cats on here!

I can't imagine the bushings can move the front axle that far if installed incorrectly. Pics below of my stock OEM panhard riding on about 4" of front lift, no bushings etc. Seems like a lot of clearance vs your setup.

panf1.jpg

panf2.jpg

panf3.jpg

Looks like 3/4" to 1" of clearance in my case... Oh, and the front protruding 'fin' that you mention on the front diff housing is where the ring gear lives.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom