Heating a standard tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So October of every year I go on a camping trip with my friends up to the blue Ridge parkway. Most every year that we go it is windy and gets down to the teens. I do not have the funds for a kodiak or spring bar etc so we camp in a Coleman veira. Has met our needs.
Well this year the wife and kids want to go with me. When I go solo I sleep in the back of the 60 and have no problems. Can't do that with 4 kids. I have three adult 15 degree bags and several summer bags. My biggest concern is covering up the vents on the tent. I also use a buddy heater as well. Any ideas?

Basically looking to cover the side vents. Thinking tarps will do the job.

Hmmmmm good idea...

Good padding on the bottom of the tent to act as a thermal break, everybody wears a knit cap when they go to bed and the brown jersey gloves also work great to stay warm in the tent. Another thing I have used with my kids is a king sized comforter to cover the sleeping bags as extra insulation. Never needed any heat in the tent until morning when getting dressed. We camped in temps down into single digits without any major problems. Good luck!!!

Mount Pisgah?

Black balsam

Beautiful area. Heard about how cold it gets up there in the fall. Surprisingly cold.

Upstate Cruisers will be there October 16-18 if you would like to join us.

If you're using a Buddy Heater you really shouldn't cover the vents unless there's another way for air to enter the tent.

Closed cell foam sleeping pads. Putting them inside the sleeping bags helps keep the kids on them. Extra blanket on top. Knit ski hats are a must. Long underwear. I often sleep in my down jacket so I don't have to get completely inside my mummy bag. Big fluffy dogs keep the tent warm. Make sure the kids get a high carb dinner. You can't keep warm without energy regardless of how nice your sleeping bag is.

I also would not close vents with a heater running. Bad combo. If you close the vents you should not need a heater. I've been out in the negative teens and the tent stays above freezing with two adults and the fluff ball as long as you don't have air passing through. (Depending on the tent size). Smaller = warmer.

Would not completely cover the vents.

Looks like kids may sit this one out . I am shopping for a 4 seasons tent as well however. Just in case.

Space blanket under the air mattress or pad, if that's what you use. Not sure it would do any good under a closed cell mat.

I'm wondering if the Buddy Heater operation would better with a space blanket sandwiched on top between the tent and rain fly to reflect rising heat back down? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Sleep with only underwear in your sleeping bag, your body warms the air around you and you will be warm all night long.

Warm dry under garments & socks at the end of the day, too, will go a long way. If you sleep in the same sweaty socks you wore all day long, your feet will never get warm. Humidity is a heat sink and will pull the warmth out of anything you are wearing.

In a small (solo) tent a candle lantern will also take the chill out of a tent, but only if it has a ground hugging rainfly.

I've used a Buddy heater in our larger tents with no issue, sometimes it works too well and I have to unzip a window a bit to balance the heat output. I use it with a 10lb propane tank and an 8ft hose. I leave the tank outside the tent and make sure the heater isn't in danger of being kicked over in the middle of the night.

Ive never needed a heater in my tent either. I've been comfortable in my Wiggys bag down to 15deg with little to no clothing. It sounds crazy but it works. I do sleep on a closed cell mat and thermarest neo-air. Great combo. I do like to eat a good meal before bed to keep the engine burning on into the night.

While I can't say I know how to keep a tent warm, I can tell you that it gets mighty cold in a 1980 Toyota Corolla at -25f (-13C) Ground sheet under the tent would be key I think.

I always put the socks and underwear I plan to wear the next day in my sleeping bag with me, then you can put warm socks on your feet in the morning! A merino wool t shirt and long johns would be great to sleep in as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom