Qatar Vehicle Inspection Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a classic FJ45. I have been trying to get it to pass the annual vehicle inspection here in Qatar. After sorting out all the seat belts / lights; I have now been told to install a complete bumper.

When I purchased the truck, it had these bumperettes.

FJ45 - Back.JPG

During the inspection, they were identified as a "modified bumper" and was listed as a "major fault". So I had the bumperettes cut off. Now I'm told I need to install a complete bumper...similar to a hi-lux / FJ75. Neither bumper is part of the standard / original configuration of this truck; but can't seem to get that through the Police Officers head. (He was more obsessed with why I did not speak Arabic).

Anyone have any experience dealing with the Qatar Traffic Dept. I can install a complete bumper and after inspection just remove it. I'm thinking this would be a common issue in other GCC countries; where there is no interpretation of the law...especially if you don't speak Arabic.

Any suggestions?

Maybe you could take in some old pictures of FJ45's from back in the day... though I doubt it'd help.

I'd go to the industrial area have someone fab up a simple and easy bolt on bracket with a used hilux bumper. Bolt on for inspections, bolt off when done.

Maybe you could take in some old pictures of FJ45's from back in the day... though I doubt it'd help.

I'd go to the industrial area have someone fab up a simple and easy bolt on bracket with a used hilux bumper. Bolt on for inspections, bolt off when done.

I have mentally decided to do that; but just super annoyed that I have to do it now. My project list is pending. Flip side is that i have decided to do the fabricating myself!!:) that means more TOOLS!!!:bounce::bounce2:

But the Arabic issue was most frustrating; just because I have an Muslim name doesn't mean I speak Arabic. There are Muslims from other parts of the world and this bediou could not understand that. He was offended that I spoke English to the supervisor and he could not understand...its the same when they speak Arabic in a meeting and no one else understands what they are saying....just blowing steam dude.

I have the registration updated through connections, I do not take my FJ40 in for that particular issue.

I have the registration updated through connections, I do not take my FJ40 in for that particular issue.

don't have any "vistaa" yet; :(:meh:

Any news? Updates?
I'm in Toronto for 2 weeks, so no real progress. But I did buy a cheap Hilux bumper, which I will bolt up for inspection. I also have some "vistaa"; my neighbor is Qatari and promised to sort things out:bounce2::bounce:. In the mean time, I've started another sub-project, I'm modeling the truck in 3d, using Sketch up.

Thought I should update the thread.

Finally installed my bolt-on Hilux bumper; and went for inspection. They said I had high HC's; so changed my plugs and got my valves tampered / adjusted. Checked / adjusted the carburetor and off I went for hopefully my last inspection!

Thankfully; passed :bounce::bounce2::cheers: after another minor hic-up. Some genius noticed that my VIN number had a hyphen; which was not shown on my registration papers. After a chat with the "Captain" all matters were resolved...and I drove out 100% legal!

In celebration of my great achievement; pushed the truck flat out; was cruising at 100kph; when I think I blew out a gasket.:bang: nothing but thick black dirty smoke coming out....but that's another story...

Cheers

AYM,

Your bumperettes should not have needed cutting-off as they are bolt-on, unless someone had welded them to the frame.

BTW, I understood that some of the GCC countries did not want any old vehicles on the road and were refusing to register them before a certain manufactured date?

I think we need pics of your hilux bumper. =)

before with the bumperette's
FJ45 - Back.JPG

and now...with a Hilux bumper
2016-05-14 17.32.17.jpg

complete with lights for the license plate. Its a bolt on.

AYM,

Your bumperettes should not have needed cutting-off as they are bolt-on, unless someone had welded them to the frame.

BTW, I understood that some of the GCC countries did not want any old vehicles on the road and were refusing to register them before a certain manufactured date?

PO had the bumperette's welded to the back chassis. I'm now going to modify them so that I can bolt them. Need to do some cutting / welding :)

Very interesting. Looks like it was originally intended to be that way.

Good you past it, don't take it all to serious because red tape is everywhere.
Do you see others with that bumper? I like the new one because it protects the rear.

When we had Bengali number plates in the Netherlands it sometimes was a nice discussion (allowed for 3 months because car was imported and shipped)

So I speak more Arabic than you? :p it helps to learn a 100 words :cheers:

Passed inspection twice now; same drill...and it works like a charm. I've also changed my seats...2 buckets vs standard 3 bench. That means I also have to change them back come inspection time.

I also got new bumperettes fabricated. Much better quality...
2017-04-01 12.27.25.jpg
2017-04-01 13.16.29.jpg

2017-04-01 13.16.48.jpg

Once a year, in March, I have inspection anxiety!! and the local Inspection department did not disappoint. To be fair, their comments are 100% correct. I knew my PS gearbox was leaking "pissing" fluid, but I cleaned it up and tried to make it look good. :meh: Had to try something.

Anyway, ps gearbox is leaking and there appears absolutely no hope in hell that a local mechanic can fix it. Looking to buy a new / reburished unit, but the only one i saw was on e-bay for over US$2000!!!!

Tried my Al Dhaid; but the boycott is not helping! Does anyone know of a good parts dealer in Oman / Kuwait?

Have you tried the reseal kit? Surely it’s just the o rings and seals. What did the local mechanic say was the issue?

-Geoff

Have you tried the reseal kit? Surely it’s just the o rings and seals. What did the local mechanic say was the issue?

-Geoff

He's an old-timer mechanic..who said if someone opens it; they will never to close it properly. He said the same thing regarding the PS pump. But me being an Engineer, thought, its just a pump...I can do it....boy was that a big mistake. Ended up buying a new pump.

Chasing another mechanic; but am not very hopeful. You got to trust the old-timers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom