Door chime/buzzer disable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1998 LC and the door open / key in ignition buzzer drives me crazy. I've owned this thing for 10 years and I swear that I've set out on at least 5 occasions to find this thing and have been completely shut down. Please tell me that one of the Land Cruiser gurus on here have been able to find this pesky device and can talk me through how to disable it.

Much thanks.

LC 100 series - door open / key in ignition beep/chime/buzzer removal completed.

So I finished up at work early today and decided to get in deep with this today. This thing had stumped me too many times. Today it would die.

I started with a downloaded sound meter app for my android phone plugged in a probe microphone. I've used this technique before to identify the magnitude and location of noises.

I started by tracking the beeping to the upper center area of the dash. I started removing things, the plastic skirt and the heat shield. This allowed me to determine that the noise was coming from someplace behind the instrument panel. I removed the panel and the beeping stopped. It made sense to me at this point, since I couldn't see anything in the area that would house a speaker, that the device was probably inside the panel itself.

IMAG0503.jpg

I have to admit that I was starting to feel a little like the three stooges episode where they took the Generals car apart looking for the squeak.

I pulled the back of the instrument panel off and the speaker was easy to identify.

IMAG0502.jpg

I noticed a bunch electrical connections leading to this module and thought best to disable the sound making part of the speaker rather than trying to remove it completely from the board.

Using a pair of dikes, I cut away the plastic cover, exposing the metal speaker cone.
IMAG0507.jpg

Then with a small flat head screw driver, I removed the metal cone, leaving the mechanical 'motor' part of the speaker intact.

IMAG0509.jpg

Then put the back cover on the instrument panel and reinstall it. Success.

For sure the hardest part of this job was figuring out where the speaker was. All total it took me about 2.5 hours. The rest was dead easy. Removing and reinstalling the instrument panel was very easy. Props to the Toyota engineers for making that part easy. I would say if I were to do it again, it could be accomplished in less than an hour.

Cheers

Hmm, I'm 80% sure that you can disable some part of the beeping through Techstream... Props on ripping the buzzer out though

80 Series owner lurking here. I'm glad to see this, I'd been thinking about asking the same thing in that forum. I suspect it's similar in my rig. I'm going to check it out when I replace the PWR bulb this weekend.
Thanks.

I would love to do this but wonder if it can't be done electronically instead??

I would love to do this but wonder if it can't be done electronically instead??

Agreed. I had several people tell me that it could be done or should be able to be done electronically but I saw any evidence that it's been done and could never figure out for myself.

I've been through every customization screen in techstream and can't find a way to turn off this bloody chime (03 LX) :( DRLs -easy, lighting and wiper delay - no problem. Fob locking beep too loud? can turn its volume down or off but zip on the chime.

Thanks for this. The sweet silence of a dead door chime has been music to my ears over the last few days. As an FYI...it also works to yank the whole puck from the board with a pair of pliers.

Hmm, I'm 80% sure that you can disable some part of the beeping through Techstream... Props on ripping the buzzer out though

I've been through every customization screen in techstream and can't find a way to turn off this bloody chime (03 LX) :( DRLs -easy, lighting and wiper delay - no problem. Fob locking beep too loud? can turn its volume down or off but zip on the chime.

I don't have the chime on my 2003, and I thought I disabled it in Techstream. I don't remember for sure though. I can't imagine it's a LC vs LX difference.

EDIT: sorry didn't see that this thread was a couple years old. ^^necropost above and I wasn't paying attention to the date.

Last edited:
I'm looking for this circuit to allow a keyless entry fob to be programmed, seems a previous owner has disabled it.
Did anyone end up identifying the circuit?

Agreed. I had several people tell me that it could be done or should be able to be done electronically but I saw any evidence that it's been done and could never figure out for myself.

You are a ****ing hero man. Hero's do not always wear capes. As I was driving to work damn light/buzzer came on....pulled over did the pumping routine, boom back again. As I was driving to work I thought of all the ways to kill my LX470. dynamite to gasoline......now I know how to get sweet peace and quiet from this thing.

And even better is "easy" now that I know were that damn buzzer is.....if only I had known this years ago.

I have a 2002 LX470 the back of the instrument panel was a fuzz different so I thought I'd share. I also did not disable the speaker I just shoved a little wad of electrical tape down in the hole and covered the back with electrical tape. The beep is about 10% of what it used to be. Pretty easy fix and I won't go crazy every single time the keys in the ignition

PXL_20211227_034340013.jpg

PXL_20211227_034408332.MP.jpg

PXL_20211227_034351326.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom