Roof Rack Drama!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so pulled the rack off today to find that half the nutserts pulled out of the roof. I tried to search on this problem but didn't seem to find anything specific? What has everyone else done to solve this problem? My wife likes the rack so removing it all together at this point is not an option. we don't carry anything on it, but I need to keep it from leaking. Any and all help is appreciated!!!

Brian:beer:

Or be done with it all together .. Line-X the roof, until you can get a nice aftermarket rack on.

TY
P5040250.JPG

Search rust and nutsert and rack - you'll find a few threads - might even be a FAQ on this. The general opinion here is the rack is a lost cause - don't throw good money after bad. Look to patch the holes, then have the scars professionally finished or do what I did and clean it up as best you can and coat with Herculiner or some other DIY bedliner.

No one here will turn his nose up at you if you are caught with Duct tape over the holes until you figure out what to do.

Then get a raingutter mount rack of some sort.

Good luck,

David

OZCAL said:
No one here will turn his nose up at you if you are caught with Duct tape over the holes until you figure out what to do.

Then get a raingutter mount rack of some sort.

Good luck,

David

I ran for a while with 2" wide electrical tape layers over the holes. Worked great!

TY

hey, have to work with the wife on this one, can anyone help me find pictures of aftermarket racks on our beloved 80's?????

actually, having the nutserts pull out is the good thing... it's when they stay in that you have major drama in store...

They are all right. The factory rack sucks. It causes holes in a perfectly good roof and won't even carry much. Why couldn't they sell any Cruisers without that piece of crap? Mine was rolled when bought and the smooth, clean roof that resulted is a rare and beautiful thing!
I am in your same boat. I built a custom rack / light bar for our last 4X4, and my wife is sure the Cruiser needs a "hat" too. I agree.
I just have to sell the house, move our stuff, ect. and blah, blah. Then I will build a custom "hat".

frode said:
My wife likes the rack so removing it all together at this point is not an option. we don't carry anything on it

Not quite sure I understand. Why does your wife want to keep parts of the rack if you don't carry anything on it? :confused:

My wife liked mine to but I told her it was take it off or it would rust out and fall on her head.I used por-15 products.go to there site and read about then.

frode said:
My wife likes the rack so removing it all together at this point is not an option. we don't carry anything on it...

$5 says those questioning Brian's apparent paradox have never been married...

cruiser larry said:
My wife liked mine to but I told her it was take it off or it would rust out and fall on her head.I used por-15 products.go to there site and read about then.

Public School Eh? :flipoff2:

Nice Avatar Though!

yellowchaosfj80 said:
Heres a couple of the rack out of japan.. $200.00:cheers:
Are these available in the US?

I like the look and the price!

I've been married for 20+ years and am not taking that bet. With most women it's about appearance and what they like, no rationale at all.

:lol: Amen Brother!!! My :princess: is still pissed at me for taking of the stock rack and putting on the Con-Ferr... She especially detests the lights which she lovingly reffers to as "the damn redneck lights" :doh:
2012-02-05 16.32.08.jpg

wives and Cruisers

Guess "wives" have hijacked the thread. OK 40 years for us this December and yes I still cannot make out what she means much of the time. ;p

I simply put some small bolts in there with some silicone and am done with it. Can barely notice the small bolts are there. IMO, not sure it is worth going through all the trouble to pull the headliner etc to just fill these in. Easier to just do with some little bolts and silicone. Although, I am out west so rust is not too much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom