HAM Emergency procedures? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
OK, so I have a HAM and I can broadcast (licensed) and I'm out wheeling all by my onesies when suddenly I'm stuck, broke down and need to leverage the almighty HAM radio.

What now?

Did I preprogram a frequency or repeater for just such an occasion?

How do you get home or call in help?

Well, I have all the ARA repeaters programed into my Yaesu HT and Kenwood mobile. But I also printed out the frequencies and auto patch steps that I found on some website I visited. Just Google ARA HAM. Then I laminated them 8x10 size and stuck them in the DS door pocket. There is a map too showing the various repeater locations in AZ. You can also link up with Utah, though I had no luck when in Moab area. Oh and S. Cal too.

Auto patch would let you dial a phone here in the 480,602 area code. But none the less, if you can hit a repeater, I'm sure someone would respond with help to contact whatever support you needed.

I would add that here in AZ, I'm not sure I'd fully depend on 'the almighty HAM' being able to reach a repeater. Esp. a HT which is what I think you are using. Save up for a full power mobile if you can, even then it can be if'y.

Awesome, thanks for the brain dump. I didn't know if there was something similar to an Emergency Channel (#9) on CB in the HAM world.

Maybe Almighty Iridium would be a nice partner for the Almoghty HAM. :)

I am looking into a proper mobile hard wired system beyond the Baofeng.

I didn't know if there was something similar to an Emergency Channel (#9) on CB in the HAM world.
Well there is a backwoods emergency frequency, but it is probably as useful as CB channel 9 - i.e. NOT :(

Simplex 146.520

I have this freq programmed into my mobile and handheld and scan it on my second band. Never heard a peep.
IMG_6197-small.jpg

Thanks for the info. At least somebody MAY be monitoring that HAM channel, like that old trucker glued to channel 9!

146.520 is usually silent. I like the idea of a map with the local repeaters for the frequencies your radio can use. Practice autopatch beforehand.

Thank you, I'm looking into the autopatch details.

These are my primary frequencies I monitor along with any local repeater
146.460 simplex is commonly used in the off-road ham community and would recommend adding it to the list of frequencies you monitor.
146.520 simplex is the National Simplex Calling Frequency
144.390 simplex with a CTCSS 100 tone, is used for APRS Voice alerts and would be another frequency to try.

The range of VHF radios is the largest issue depending on where you are.

These are my primary frequencies I monitor along with any local repeater
146.460 simplex is commonly used in the off-road ham community and would recommend adding it to the list of frequencies you monitor.
146.520 simplex is the National Simplex Calling Frequency
144.390 simplex with a CTCSS 100 tone, is used for APRS Voice alerts and would be another frequency to try.

The range of VHF radios is the largest issue depending on where you are.

Thank You!

www.radioreference.com is a great resource on scanner stuff. As well as repeater locations and who, what and where.

I have a GRE COM PSR-600 that I installed in my LC. And have pretty much everyone installed in that.

I'm looking to pick up a din size base/moblie unit maybe entry level? Also going to get license as well.
Anyone have any recommendations of a good quality unit? Intended use would be for trail safety and communication while with a group. Something with Bluetooth would be sweet as well. As I could use my Bluetooth headset.

More stuff: I have an app on my phone called Repeater Book LINK LOTS of info (LOTS) here on their website BTW.

The nice thing about the app is it knows where you are and shows you the closest repeaters. If your radio doesn't have a specific band, you can disable showing those bands on your app. For my mobile rig in the Tacoma, I have 2M and 70cm and only show those bands. Super nice app. Tells you how far away and what direction a specific repeater is.

I'm looking to pick up a din size base/moblie unit maybe entry level? Also going to get license as well.
Anyone have any recommendations of a good quality unit? Intended use would be for trail safety and communication while with a group. Something with Bluetooth would be sweet as well. As I could use my Bluetooth headset.

Not sure there are any BT options out there. Figure you still have to key up somehow...

Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood are the kinda goto units as far as I know for mobiles.

I have the KW TM-V71A primarily because the head, transceiver and mic are all seperatly mounted units if you desire. Or it can be one unit. I mounted the head above a GM compass/temp glass mounted mirror, transceiver where the OEM jack was, and mic mounted to the center armrest. And since I have an LX450, I ditched the sub and put the speaker in there. It will drive two separate speakers if you like, one for each tuner that is in it.

Last edited:
Not sure there are any BT options out there. Figure you still have to key up somehow...

Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood are the kinda goto units as far as I know for mobiles.

I have the KW TM-V71A primarily because the head, transceiver and mic are all seperatly mounted units if you desire. Or it can be one unit. I mounted the head above a GM compass/temp glass mounted mirror, transceiver where the OEM jack was, and mic mounted to the center armrest. And since I have an LX450, I ditched the sub and put the speaker in there. It will drive two separate speakers if you like, one for each tuner that is in it.
I like the embedded approach. Will use the dash speakers. Already tossed the "subwoofer".

Bumping this one up because it’s the most relevant of the many great CSC ham threads...

Assuming you need help while solo and have decent transmitting range or can hit a repeater, is anyone actually listening? I’ve been scanning the common channels with my little Beaufong while I drive around town and there doesn’t seem to be anyone broadcasting.

Bumping this one up because it’s the most relevant of the many great CSC ham threads...

Assuming you need help while solo and have decent transmitting range or can hit a repeater, is anyone actually listening? I’ve been scanning the common channels with my little Beaufong while I drive around town and there doesn’t seem to be anyone broadcasting.
Thanks for bumping this thread!

As I re-read it I discovered a hidden gem - I didn't know there was a free repeaterbook app. I just downloaded it and it is the cat's meow :bounce2: thanks @msahr :clap:

As to the issue of listening to the radio - I got bored with the little bit of traffic on the scheduled 'nets (my "Elmer" calls them the lumbago nets) and mostly scan the Pinal County Sheriffs channels. More active and much more interesting to listen to IMHO, so I have cop, fire, & ambulance channels programmed in the radio. I've also heard airplane traffic and once heard the Border Patrol down around Douglas. Occasionally I hear the railroads on the AAR channels.

Thanks for bumping this thread!

As I re-read it I discovered a hidden gem - I didn't know there was a free repeaterbook app. I just downloaded it and it is the cat's meow :bounce2: thanks @msahr :clap:

As to the issue of listening to the radio - I got bored with the little bit of traffic on the scheduled 'nets (my "Elmer" calls them the lumbago nets) and mostly scan the Pinal County Sheriffs channels. More active and much more interesting to listen to IMHO, so I have cop, fire, & ambulance channels programmed in the radio. I've also heard airplane traffic and once heard the Border Patrol down around Douglas. Occasionally I hear the railroads on the AAR channels.

Sure. It is a nice app isn't It?

I also have aircraft and other one-way listening programmed in as well. One of my clients is out by Luke Air Force Base and you can listen to the tower talk to the fighter pilots when you sit at the north end of the runway.

AutoPatch- Autopatch is a means of making a phone call from your radio, if you’re on a repeater with an autopatch or linked to one, simply state your intentions: this is KC7XYZ accessing the autopatch, while still holding down the ptt, start with the *key on the mic, followed by the 10 digit number then release the ptt, the repeater will dial then connect, to the other person it’s sounds like a regular phone, for you, it’s still a 2 way radio-remember to unkey the mike to hear your party, at the end of the call, key the mike, hit the # key , state your callsign followed by “clear”.

Thanks Phil, that’s great to know. I’m guessing the simplex frequencies are pretty hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom