Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

interesting...how is the sound quality? was it an easy install? did it require the cd player for the install or does it just bypass it?

Sound quality is excellent it was a very easy instal for me. It plugs into the place behind the head unit that the CD changer in your center console pluged into. The hardest part is routing the cable that plugs into your I product. If you order from Cruchfield audio they can even supply instructions vehicle specific .

thanks Rob! aren't you the one that spearheaded most of this research? any hope or are we dead in the water?

I was doing a crowd sourced adapter harness from the nav setup to a non-nav. It proved to costly to do so I gave everyone their money back and shelved it. Anyone with a Nav truck can do a one off conversion by sourcing the non nav harness and pulling the dash to swap it. It's labor intense but can be done.

I was doing a crowd sourced adapter harness from the nav setup to a non-nav. It proved to costly to do so I gave everyone their money back and shelved it. Anyone with a Nav truck can do a one off conversion by sourcing the non nav harness and pulling the dash to swap it. It's labor intense but can be done.

that's great news. i'm just glad it is do-able! if it's not too much, what is the process? pull the whole dash and run the wires from the non-nav unit all the way back to the computer or something?

thanks for your time
Ed

Yea my 02 with Nav, I installed the I-Simple and left the CD changer in the center console.

soooo, i just got off the chat with crutchfield and the dude said this wouldn't work with the factory nav...he also didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about though. he didn't know that i couldn't just swap for an aftermaket head unit, nooo idea that the climate was integrated.

i totally trust you man, but i just wanted to double check with you for some fine details before i hit the send button on my crutchfield order. this works for sure?

Ok yes it works for sure. The main thing is you must have or had the separate CD changer, usually in the center console. Order the I-simple device designated for your year of Landcruiser. Both the Nav and non Nav utilize the same plug on the back of the main units. There are several threads on this site that go into this in great detail. There are also photos included in them. I'm at work now going home soon let me know if you have any more questions.

that's what i thought, thanks again for everything! you have been extremely helpful:cheers:. this will work for me just fine then...more or less just wanted to share the ordeal i went through with crutchfield this morning. dude didn't believe me when i told him about your setup. thanks again man!

I'm changing the stereo in my 06 again.

Figured you fellas might want the part number for the climate control.

20150427_213820.jpg

20150427_213849.jpg

99-00%20Climate%20control%20pinout.PNG
This picture is from earlier in this thread showing the Non-Nav climate control connection points. This next picture is also from earlier in the thread showing the plugs for the MFD in a Nav LC.
IMG_20110222_172135.jpg
Row 2 plugs 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 are identical to two of the plugs in the Non Nav climate control panel (counting from the left it would be 2 of 4 and 4 of 4). Does anyone know if the wiring/pinout for these plugs is identical?

FWIW - I sourced a three dial climate control and am having a wrecking yard chop the connectors out of a totaled LC and I'm going to approach the change from Nav to Non Nav double din HU. So far for the ebay climate control and the pigtail I'm into this $280.

[QUOTE} plugs 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 are identical to two of the plugs in the Non Nav climate control panel (counting from the left it would be 2 of 4 and 4 of 4). Does anyone know if the wiring/pinout for these plugs is identical?

FWIW - I sourced a three dial climate control and am having a wrecking yard chop the connectors out of a totaled LC and I'm going to approach the change from Nav to Non Nav double din HU. So far for the ebay climate control and the pigtail I'm into this $280.[/QUOTE]

Damn Redjet...you're making hella progress! Congrats. I wish I had some/any knowledge of this stuff but when it gets to that level I'm as lost as a sailor doing landnav. Keep us posted...please.

[QUOTE} plugs 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 are identical to two of the plugs in the Non Nav climate control panel (counting from the left it would be 2 of 4 and 4 of 4). Does anyone know if the wiring/pinout for these plugs is identical?

FWIW - I sourced a three dial climate control and am having a wrecking yard chop the connectors out of a totaled LC and I'm going to approach the change from Nav to Non Nav double din HU. So far for the ebay climate control and the pigtail I'm into this $280.

Damn Redjet...you're making hella progress! Congrats. I wish I had some/any knowledge of this stuff but when it gets to that level I'm as lost as a sailor doing landnav. Keep us posted...please.[/QUOTE]

I am just piggybacking on the heavy lifting done by RobRed, Pfran and others. I will post to all my successes and failures. Wish me luck. Its gonna be a couple weeks before I can tear into this due to work travel...

Here's proof that something like what we're all looking for can be done!
http://sweetsounds.com/html/lx470.html

If a shop in small-town USA - Mankato, Minnesota - can do this 10+ years ago...why can't we?

By we I mean you guys with talent! I'm only a cheerleader in this effort as my skills in electronics are crap.

Hey guys - does anyone have a wiring diagram for the non-nav center console? I have the one for the Nav console. I will receive the salvaged plugs for a non-nav this week and want to start chasing wires this weekend. :)

Here's proof that something like what we're all looking for can be done!
http://sweetsounds.com/html/lx470.html

If a shop in small-town USA - Mankato, Minnesota - can do this 10+ years ago...why can't we?

By we I mean you guys with talent! I'm only a cheerleader in this effort as my skills in electronics are crap.
What they did from what I can tell from a quick glance is by pass the factory audio system and installed a very nice single din system in the place of the cassette deck. They did nothing to improve the climate controls. Some of us new this could be done. I just find this to be only a last resort salut ion .

OK - I Got my plugs today and checked them in the Non-Nav center console and they fit! They even sent me the plug for the radio that I probably won't use ( I can't think of why, but who knows???). Thanks DMG1 for the wiring information! I plan to tear into the project this weekend. I am even holding out a glimmer of hope that I may be able to accomplish most of this by re-pinning the connectors. I am going to practice removing/replacing pins on the radio connector to determine if this is even feasible. I have done this on old muscle cars and weatherpak connectors but never these Toyota connectors. Does anyone know the mechanics of how to get the pins to release from the connectors?

Any recommendations for Double Din Nav Systems? It appears that I am in the market... I have already purchased speakers, sub and amp.

OK - I Got my plugs today and checked them in the Non-Nav center console and they fit! They even sent me the plug for the radio that I probably won't use ( I can't think of why, but who knows???). Thanks DMG1 for the wiring information! I plan to tear into the project this weekend. I am even holding out a glimmer of hope that I may be able to accomplish most of this by re-pinning the connectors. I am going to practice removing/replacing pins on the radio connector to determine if this is even feasible. I have done this on old muscle cars and weatherpak connectors but never these Toyota connectors. Does anyone know the mechanics of how to get the pins to release from the connectors?

Any recommendations for Double Din Nav Systems? It appears that I am in the market... I have already purchased speakers, sub and amp.

Please DOCUMENT this as to the wires/re-pinning etc.

Would love to do this at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom