SOLVED-I was being dumb! RTH - 3FE No Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok. My 1992 80 3FE wouldn't start after being hot earlier today. I had been running it pretty hard. So I pulled the EFI Relay from under the hood and swapped in a spare. Fired right up. No problems.

I got home and decided to move the EFI to inside the cab by running 12ga wire. I unplugged the EFI Relay. Didn't mess with any wiring in the truck. I plugged the EFI Relay back in and decided to wait until tomorrow to finish it. Cranked it and no CEL and no start.

So I tried another EFI from in the DS kick panel. Nothing. Same thing. WTF?!?!

Am I missing something? I checked all fuses.

Solved. I'm dumb. Didn't check the EFI fuse under the hood. It was blown. Put new one in and it fired right up. I panicked. Sorry for wasting your time.

Long live the mighty 3fe

Solved. I'm dumb. Didn't check the EFI fuse under the hood. It was blown. Put new one in and it fired right up. I panicked. Sorry for wasting your time.
Here's a little tidbit for you before you go and move the EFI relay.
28300-16010 is a direct drop in replacement for the EFI relay and has a plastic housing as opposed to a metal can. It has worked without issue since I installed it sometime around 2004. There are also 2 unused relay positions in the fuse box that fit and hold spare EFI relays. In this picture I used one for the York OBA system.
Fusebox.jpg

Here's a little tidbit for you before you go and move the EFI relay.
28300-16010 is a direct drop in replacement for the EFI relay and has a plastic housing as opposed to a metal can. It has worked without issue since I installed it sometime around 2004. There are also 2 unused relay positions in the fuse box that fit and hold spare EFI relays. In this picture I used one for the York OBA system.
View attachment 1084654

Nice! How did I not know this about the direct fit replacement?!?! Crazy! Thanks. I will order it this morning from Toyota. I moved it in to the cab last night but that will take 2 minutes to undo. And didn't cost me anything.

Thanks!!

I called my dealer to order this relay. Is it really a $75 relay? How the heck is it 7x as expensive as the standard relay?

I called my dealer to order this relay. Is it really a $75 relay? How the heck is it 7x as expensive as the standard relay?
Are you asking me to remember how much I paid for a part in 2004? I'm lucky if I remember my kids names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom