Does the plastic under the hood of a LX570 do anything? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just changed the air filter and the cabin filter (thanks beno) on my wifes LX570 and I realized that it took longer to get the plastic cover off than it did to change both filters. It looks like there is a hood seal on the leading edge of the plastic covers. Does this perform any function or can I ditch the plastic covers? Do the LC's have this stuff as well?

If I am understanding your question correctly, yes, the covers/seals are important, as they help with the fresh-air/recirculation system. But, I may have misunderstood what you were talking about.

If you are talking about all of the extra plastic covers in the engine dept that the LX gets over the LC, then no. Its there to pretty it up.

LX vs LC engine bay.

131_1107_04+extreme_wheeling_2011_lexus_lx_570+engine_bay.jpg

200011.jpg

I just changed the air filter and the cabin filter (thanks beno) on my wifes LX570 and I realized that it took longer to get the plastic cover off than it did to change both filters. It looks like there is a hood seal on the leading edge of the plastic covers. Does this perform any function or can I ditch the plastic covers? Do the LC's have this stuff as well?
To remove the plastic pins you just press the middle indentation and pull the entire screw assembly upwards. Should take only a few seconds. Don't pry them or you'll break them off.

maybe my pins are worn out, they don't pop out easily at all. i have to pry the whole plastic sheet up and then try to catch the pin as it pops out. its kinda fun when you do it with a beer in one hand.

I now have something to do to my new 200. The plastic will be gone before long. Can't see crap in the engine bay.

if you want to get the plastic off I want it

It keeps everything nice and clean inside the engine compartment. It likely lowers noise.

I was thinking of ditching this as well. Mine is missing some of the little fasteners that hold the panels in place. I too like to actually see my engine. ;)

To remove the plastic pins you just press the middle indentation and pull the entire screw assembly upwards. Should take only a few seconds. Don't pry them or you'll break them off.

So you use a screw driver push in and turn, then the assembly pops upwards? Just use your fingers and remove the pin assembly and lift off the plastic covering for that panel. To put back just do this in reverse. Am I close to right?

So you use a screw driver push in and turn, then the assembly pops upwards? Just use your fingers and remove the pin assembly and lift off the plastic covering for that panel. To put back just do this in reverse. Am I close to right?

I don't think so. I have an LC, not an LX, but I think the pins being talked about are the same. There should be an explanation in your Owner's Manual similar to this:

LC200PinRemoval_zpsdcc46qzl.jpg

To remove a pin, just press down on the center part and lift the poin assembly out.

To re-insert a pin, first press the center part up beyond where it was originally, insert the assembly into a hole, then press down on the center part until it is flush with the top of the assembly.

No tools required.

HTH

Anyone know a source besides Lexus for the pins that hold the engine covers in place? Or are they actually reasonably priced from Lexus :)

It does 2 things:
1) Lexus has higher standards for acoustic attenuation. The engine cover, and covers along the engine bay, significantly dampen and reduce the sound coming from the motor. Especially at idle, where you can hear the injectors and such.
2) Beauty cover. Toyota manifolds definitely veer on the side of functionality and maintainability rather than classically beautiful as older V8s. You'll find lots of plumbing and electrical plugs/harness on top of the motor.
3) Most importantly, it is an airguide for the radiator to prevent recirculation of hot air. Especially at idle and low speeds (e.g. off-roading). Others have found without these in place, that the temps will rise.

EDIT: reference here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom