AltFuel Crossing Canada on WVO this summer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.magnetikmultimedia.com
Hi!

I'm planning on crossing Canada with my BJ42 on WVO.

Looking for refils along the way, either already filtered or ready to be.

I have about 2000 L at home and willing to share if anyone passes by here.
I live in Matane Québec.

Thanks!

J

Hi John
thing is.. I dont have a route in mind appart from heading to High River, AB to start with.
I dont really know if it's better to go through northern Ontario or not, heading north of Montreal or going through Ottawa, Sudbury, etc.. , i guess my route will be made from the people that respond to my post, and i'll adapt it through that.

I'm open for suggestions

Hi Guys, funny, I am planning a trip across Canada on VO as well , Ottawa to Edmonton and back. ( Doing the Rockies on Diesel while visit brother in Alberta ) So,
A) I have filterd fuel here ion Ottawa if someone needs
b) I am looking for fuel if Alberta ( filtered Clean WVO )
I have planned the trip with a trailer hauling 6 to 8 Hundred Liters, but if I know I have fuel in AB I would be happy,!

I have a fully converted 2 tank BJ74, and a partially converted HDJ 81, will most probably take the hdj at this point, simply due to its comfort, power and space over the BJ 74

Hi bvisser
Aroud what time of the year are you planning this?
I plan on going around the 25 th of june.

Really hauling that much oil? Isnt it gonna take extra fuel for nothing..?
800 liters are heavy.. Less along the way, but still.. Thats a lot of weight.

Do you carry a trailer anyway for your stuff and all?

I'm trying to figure out 200L without a trailer.. And it's a problem.

What are planning on using to hold the oil?
I might go for fuel bags if i find any that are cheap.
Reducing volume on the way seems a good idea.

J

I am planning on end of summer, August or September. I agree its a lot of weight but that's what it will take, Most utility trailers are rated for that load and the load will only get lighter as we travel. I collect my oil at two place and get it all in cubies. I also take there empty cubies ( Clean ) and store those for a trip like this. My plan is to put these 15 Liter cubies in the trailer as well as one layer of cubies in the truck, covered that with a plywood and have our gear on top of that. As far as extra fuel consumption, I don't care , I have more oil than I can handle, in fact I am building a Veg fired pool heater to get rid of my surplus ! You are welcome to 100 L if you pull through Ottawa ! I agree that hauling fuel is a pain, in My BJ the tank is internal so already robs me of space, then I have to start deciding on gear versus cubies of fuel LOL. I imagine your 40 is pretty much like my bj74 space wise. The HDJ 81 has far more room, and far more power so I am not too concerned about the extra weight. Besides once the rig is rolling, the weight becomes little issue, except for hills, so crossing prairies I will be fine. The biggest pain will be pumping from 15 Litter jugs to the main tank, I plan to pump in 60 liters every time gauge gets below 1/4 tank. Alternatively I could put 4 barrels on a trailer, but that would look like scrap, and draw attention from OPP or RCMP, I am sure there is some kind of regs regarding driving around with almost 1000 L of waste oil... after all this is Canada, and our governments like to stick there nose in every ones business!! After all, imagine the environmental disaster of 1000L of vegetable oil all over the road, versus the millions of Liters this years train wrecks have caused alone ,, But, that in pristine rivers and country side, so the government has no issue with that!..

Hey thanks bvissers!

Will let you know if i pass by when i leave. Probably on the way back. I'm going on the north route first, skipping population and highways, will pass through Abitibi and then north of the lakes.

You are also welcomed to fill your tank here if ever you plan on going east. Thanks

I carried about 5-6 water cubies full of oil to fill up on my last trip. They have nice little taps that were very usefull when filling my in cab tank. The taps avoid the spills ;) but they take space full or empty (i'm not speaking of the foldables ones, these are crap). The real Cubies in what the oil came from are cheap and they can be recycled or tossed in any garbage container. I wonder if you could find a tap to put on there. Space is a drag, i'm really looking for a type of fuel bag that would do the trick.

My BJ42 doesn't have the power to pull a trailer with that much oil.. Its too bad because i also have more then it takes to do the trip. It would be a hasle and i'm counting on riding at a 100 km /h .. On nice roads.

J

Thanks for the offer Danakittilsen, 450 K each way would give a 900Km detour, so not a great help for us. Must be some folks in Edmonton doing this. So , how is your HDJ doing on Veg ? do you have many km's on veg now? I have ran mine with a single tank system and a FPHE that i heat onny when I have higher concentrations of veg in my tank, but i am always worried for that rotary pump !. My BJ 74 has an inline pump , a two tank system so I am far less worried about it.

Looks like i'm going to be heading from Godbout, then St-Félicien, Chapais, Amos, then on the northest route in ontario throught Cochrane, Thunderbay, Dryden, kenora, and then i will head to Winnipeg and then high river
If anyone is near this route..

... I am sure there is some kind of regs regarding driving around with almost 1000 L of waste oil... after all this is Canada, and our governments like to stick there nose in every ones business!! ...
That's more of a problem for Ontario and the East. The western provinces and territories are not as concerned with useless anal regulations. Nonetheless, your point is valid; there's no reason to attract unwanted attention.

bvissers and John Galt, i like to get in touch with you and know where you are located. I sent you both a private message. Thanks!

My trip is coming fast, my boy is excited, so am i :).

Still looking for buddies to talk LC and sources for WVO along the way. Many anwsered the call - many thanks.

I'm going on the north route on the way up and through North Bay Ottawa and Montreal on the way back.

Anyone know someone on the North route or near ? ( Amos, Cochrane, Hearst, Longlac, Nipigon, Thunder Bay, Igance, Dryden, Kenora, ...)
And then around Regina..? Thanks

Will be posting progression of the trip on a Facebook page soon.

Last edited:
bvissers and John Galt, i like to get in touch with you and know where you are located. I sent you both a private message. Thanks!

My trip is coming fast, my boy is excited, so am i :).

Still looking for buddies to talk LC and sources for WVO along the way. Many anwsered the call - many thanks.

I'm going on the north route on the way up and through North Bay Ottawa and Montreal on the way back.

Anyone know someone on the North route or near ? ( Amos, Cochrane, Hearst, Longlac, Nipigon, Thunder Bay, Igance, Dryden, Kenora, ...)
And then around Regina..? Thanks

Will be posting progression of the trip on a Facebook page soon.
I'm south of your route if you need a stop-over. I'm between Temiscaming, Que. & North Bay, Ont. Lot's of room to camp out and unwind. I'll be heading towards Cochrane in the next week or so, be good to bump into you on your way westernly. oh yeah, no WVO!

I should be passing in cochrane around the 25-26-27 max, depends on the previous route. Thanks!

Will pass by North bay on my way back.

I should be passing in cochrane around the 25-26-27 max, depends on the previous route. Thanks!

Will pass by North bay on my way back.
I was heading towards Cochrane after the July 1st. Maybe on your way back from out west? I'm heading east to NFLD at the end of July.

Depending on your route for NF, if you pass by La Gaspėsie, i'm located in Matane. Qc. You're welcome for a stop. I'll be back here by the last week of july.

First stop will be Riviere du Loup, then the next day to N.S. for the following morning ferry. Two big driving days with little time to splurge. No Landcruiser with me on this trip. Might consider it on the way back in mid August if the princess doesn't mind.

Awsome trip so far, i'm in Kenora ont. Right Now
More later
J

Made it to Alberta, going now to Waterton for a couple of days and Banff next week.

Incredible trip so far. Heading back home on wed. for new adventures and fellow cruiserheads by the long route

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom