Where to buy front calipers and brake pads, ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota has NEW and reman, get the reman(they are as good as new), I have used dozen of them over the years with zero issues(except one that was my fualt)

OEM from Toyota do not come loaded.

that said, last summer I used some Napa calipers on my 45, think they were less than $50 a side and the quality seemed fine, they wer painted black. Came loaded, with new pins and hardware. Only reason I had to replace the OEM was my 45 sat for 4 years(and not driving must the rest of the time), moisture and stuff, one of the pistons siezed(rusted) No fualt of the caliper. Oh and I also had forgoten what calipers I used when I converted the front to disc.......Napa had all my options in stocks and I could compare to what I had(4runner in this case)

I know at one point(at least 10 years ago) the local Toyota dealer use to rebuld(seals and stuff) the calibers on site as part of the brake job, always thought that was odd they did not just replace them as it had to be faster. But they only charged like $30 a side to do when doing the brakes.

Just rebuilt mine for 50 bucks with an OEM Kit. Decided to powder coat em too.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427416947.623304.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427416987.156126.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427417005.739418.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427417029.872708.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427417053.756079.jpg

I've been ordering from Rock Auto for brake parts.
The castings of the rebuilt calipers I received had the same ID marks as the Toyota calipers that came off.
I'm assuming they are rebuilt Toyota calipers.
About $50 per side and no problems after 2 years.
They also had all of the wheel cylinders new for about $20 each.

Be careful to match the images to your actual needs.
Rock Auto's identification by year and model is not as exact as Toyota's.

Agreed, genuine Toyota parts rarely disappoint but it depends on what you are building and the budget.

Kurt for the win!

I've been looking at options for replacement brake calipers. Came down to basically 3 options:
1) New OEM. Incredibly expensive at over $440 per side
2) O'Reilly's or Autozone reman's. Incredibly cheap at less than $40 per side. These are basically rebranded Cardone remans.
3) Centric Posi Quiet Loaded Calipers. $45 / side from CarID.com (very unexpected source, right?)

Ruled out #2 first. The exterior finish is unpainted. Will surely turn to rust. Also have had bad experience with poor quality Cardone parts in the past.
Ruled out new OEM. Couldn't justify the price.
Decided on #3, based on being the best balance between value and quality. I got the part today. It's actually surprisingly well finished for a Centric.

View attachment 1051055 View attachment 1051056 View attachment 1051057

I went the same direction as @Racer65. I’m happy with the results. I did have trouble getting one of the brake lines to seal going into the caliper. But after tightening it more than I thought I should have to it hasn’t leaked a drop all spring. I’ve been checking it weekly.

Old school thread but worthy info I hope :D

We are very excited to announce we have brand new Japanese (from OE Toyota suppliers) calipers for those looking to go brand new (not re-manufactured) at an affordable price

YWST: Brand New Japanese OE Loaded Brake Calipers for 4x/5x/6x/7x Models

I wish I had known this a few months back. I would of bought calipers when I bought my knuckle rebuild kit. :frown:

...I wish I had known this a few months back. I would of bought calipers when I bought my knuckle rebuild kit. :frown:

These are fresh in from Japan, we loaded them into our system on Monday. If you are still in the market, buzz us. I can ship them for free!

- Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I’m hopefully set for a good while. Or until I have to disconnect that brake line for some other reason. ;)

Thanks Kurt, I’m hopefully set for a good while. Or until I have to disconnect that brake line for some other reason. ;)

No sweat, say when!

Old school thread but worthy info I hope :D

We are very excited to announce we have brand new Japanese (from OE Toyota suppliers) calipers for those looking to go brand new (not re-manufactured) at an affordable price

YWST: Brand New Japanese OE Loaded Brake Calipers for 4x/5x/6x/7x Models

Kurt, how do these compare with the '95 4Runner calipers that are somewhat popular for 40-series front disc upgrade? Looking for more stopping power than my stock 1980 calipers.

Kurt, how do these compare with the '95 4Runner calipers that are somewhat popular for 40-series front disc upgrade? Looking for more stopping power than my stock 1980 calipers.

These are 100% stock bolt-on replacements. The popular V6 calipers are next on our list, they will require clearancing to fit and are better suited to bigger tires vs a resto for example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom