Appalachia Scale Crawlers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had to throw the plate on the front :) It's getting there

1423583385492.jpg

1423583426956.jpg

1423583454266.jpg

1423583492425.jpg

Those are beastly for sure. Just a heads up, they've had problems with the rear hubs not being strong enough for the power that it puts down. So you'll have to upgrade that right out of tha box. But other than that, I've heard nothing but good things about the Yeti

Maybe I will pick up a few upgrades here and there while I'm saving my pennies. Price is a little steep and that monster eats lipo's 2 at a time. They have a kit as well, but since I am Crack deep in barn and farm projects, I am gonna go RTR this round.

Maybe I will add it to my "things to do before GSMTR" list :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Last edited:
Interesting you mention that about the rear hubs cause Hot Racing has a set of beefy hubs with a special reinforcing ring that fits the back of the RTR wheels. Maybe I will see about a set of those and a rear sway bar and then see how much of the tax refund momma might let me use.

Thing is I need it like another hole in my head, but my old T-MAXX was crazy fun to crash around the yard and the local BMX track.

So does this mean your bringing the 45 to GSMTR??

4runner maybe.....the 40 is out of commission right now

Great! Now I have to work on the Wraith this week to get it ready. As if I didn't have enough to do on the 4Runner already. ;)

Too bad I got too much other crap going on to fool with the crawlers....
SCX needs a motor and a bunch of other junk due to sand and salt water from a beach run and the Wraith still needs a motor and wiring and.... but I'm definitely going to have to check out some of you guys rigs.

I forgot this thread was over here.

This is a repost from over in STLCA, but it fits here better. Remember that Yeti XL that we was talking about a while ago, well I went and found one on the fleabay for a good price. RTR veraion, came with 2 3s packs and a hot racing away bar. I've run a couple sets thru it and it is stupid quick, almost too quick to even be fun, but I'm sure tryin'

It came with a spare front diff that the seller said started making noise so he replaced it. I was looking at it tonight and it is pretty obvious that one of the carrier bearings is either completely trashed or just gone because it has way to much movement. I think I am going to rebuild it with a aluminum bulkhead and some sealed bearings over the next couple weeks. I did pick up a new bell cranck, steering links, aluminum shock caps and a set of nice aluminum lower control arms for it. I plan to clean up the steering and then just run it, replacing only things as they break.

It tips the scales at close to 20 lbs and is over 2 feet long, but so far seems to be built for the abuse that you'd expect.

More later, especially now that I've remembered I have a place to put it.

0117161636_HDR.jpg

0121162055_HDR.jpg

Hoping to do a little snow bashing this weekend then clean it up and start on the steering upgrades.

:smokin:

So we got somewhere around 3"-4" of snow at the apartment today so I charged up the lipo's and did a little snow wheeling. I stuck the gopro on top of it and I will try to get the video uploaded a little later. This thing is a plow, and more fun than it should be for a guy my age. I kind of ended my fun when I accidentally slid off into the creek. Good news is it washed off all the mud from the farm. :hillbilly:

Here are a couple shots from the days festivities.

0122161610_HDR.jpg

0122161611a_HDR.jpg

And now it sits in the tub thawing out.

0122161634_HDR.jpg

I want to buy my 5 year old a crawler to play with. My 8 yo and me are more into dirt bikes, but my youngest loves trucks and 4 wheeling. I thought a crawler would be more his speed since it happens a much slower speeds. I am guessing RC stuff has an entire sub-culture. I don't want to start a new lifestyle where I spend more money I don't already have, just want something that my kid can have fun doing on his own. A quick internet search yielded these...

Gmade Sawback 1/10 Electric Crawler Kit (GMA52000) | RC Rock Crawler | RC Planet

Tamiya Toyota Land Cruiser 40 CC01 1/10 4WD Electric Crawler (TAM58564) | RC Pla

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Don't know much about the Gmade. Tamiya is the original scale crawler in my book, but these days an RTR (ready-to-run) setup from axial is hard to beat.

Axial SCX10™ Trail Honcho™ 4WD RTR

Just add batteries. They have a massive aftermarket and most hobby shops will have spare parts. They have all flavors and as far as the sub-culture, check out www.rccrawler.com and learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Also, for a youngster I'd stick to regular stick pack batteries if he is gonna be doing it on his own. The lipo's give better run times, but have some special use and care instructions that would need adult supervision.

Welcome, and if you aren't set on a brand new one, find the one you like and check out flebay, there are tons of them on there for really good prices that will usually come with some extra bells and whistles.

Ok, so the Honcho RTR showed just in time for my kids birthday on Sunday, but I guess Ready-to-Run means different things to different folks. I am missing a battery. I have searched and I think Hobbytwon will carry batteries compatible with this, but its unclear whether the connectors are compatible. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom