Hella 500 Wiring Problem... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I recently bought an FJ60 and have been working on it for the past few days to get it at least to a maintenance level that I like.

I spent some time pre-wiring the Hella 500 wires and I am having some issues with the lights not actually turning on with the switch. I will attach pictures from what I have, and see if anyone can chime in as to something obviously wrong?

I have the two blue grounding wires from the two lights spliced together (with some black wire) and at a contact point in front of the radiator. I then have the black wires spliced with the black wires from the relay.

From the relay, I grounded a blue wire to a screw on the right-inside of the engine bay. Then from the relay, I have a red wire that connects to the positive contact end of the the battery, and the yellow wire goes into the rocker switch inside the car.

So from the rocker switch, I have a yellow connecting to the relay, a green wire connecting all the way to the battery, and a blue grounded at a screw by the rocker switch.

Keep in mind i have 1/2" corrugated plastic to wrap all the wires once it's figured out to make it look pretty...

Thanks for your help guys!

Here are pictures of it as well:

Switch wit h blue ground, green to battery, yellow to relay

Back of switch to show wires

Firewall

Relay's blue ground

Relay just chillin' there

Black wiring from lights to relay

Ground wire to metal from both lights

Connection to battery for green from switch, and red from relay

I cant make out what you've done, but I would not run a hot lead thru the firewall. The only power needed to the switch, is to light the LED in the switch. You should run a ground thru the firewall (from the switch)and use that ground to trigger the relay(85).

Keep the relay near the battery,Run a positive(fused(25 amp)lead from the battery to the relay(30) and run 10~12 gauge positive from the relay(87) to the lamps. Ground the lamps at the mounts. Piggy back a short lead of 14~20 gauge from the relay(30) to the relay(86).

Thats it! you've got light!

I'd first start by cleaning your battery terminals!

e5b6aa288f6fccdd2beda63046babef4_zps02d4e698.jpg

Exactly what Benjaman said, which is slightly different than what Fj's diagram shows. In the diagram, the lights will only work when the highbeams are on. Also, it shows running power from the highbeam into the switch. I agree with Benjaman that you should use the switch for ground and not for power.

I run the my KC's like FJ moneypit's diagram so when I am running them in the mountains I can turn off my high beams and kc's with one switch when I see some lights coming around the corner.

I would start by throwing the switch in the trash, get a better one. The ones they supply in the kits are garbage, if it hasn't failed yet, it eventually will.

Try a new contacts and make sure your grounds have contact with bare metal. I have these lights on two of my trucks and that have been the issue with mine.

Try a new contacts and make sure your grounds have contact with bare metal. I have these lights on two of my trucks and that have been the issue with mine.

+1 here... I installed these same lights and could not get them to work. I went over my wiring multiple times... As a last resort I decided to try a new location for the ground... Instant fix. I wasn't getting bare metal. I was using a threaded hole in the engine bay covered with factory paint. Hoping it's this easy for you...

I mentioned before that i went to autozone to purchase a new switch for my new lights and realized how much that blows especially coming from a reputable company. So I sent the US distributors an email and they responded immediately. They said they would send me an upgraded switch asap. Ill post pics as soon as it comes in.

Send an email and let them know their switch sucks and they'll send you a new and better one...hopefully

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom