JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED head lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I post this info here...
slcfj62 provided this info....
Thanks Erik.

Im sure someone out-there will benefit from this info down the road..

FJ60/62 headlight harness

"When Toyota designed the FJ60 (and continued the paradigm with the FJ62) they decided to supply the headlight 12 volts to what is normally considered the "common" in the headlights. (The headlights have three connectors. One connector is connected to both filaments and is referred to as the "common".) In most vehicles, the headlight common is connected to ground. The Toyota engineers decided to get clever and supplied the 12 volts to this common connector and then supplied ground to the other end of each headlight filament through the steering column HI/LO switch. Because of this, we have started calling this configuration "switched ground." This is technically correct, but an electrical engineer would call this "hot common"."

JW Evolution 2 LED's

"An LED is polarity sensitive (you can't reverse the ground and hot connections). A common hot configuration supplies reverse polarity to the LED headlight, meaning the hot and ground are reversed and the headlight won't light. This is the reason your headlight circuits must be rewired for a common ground configuration to use LED headlights."

Wired Wagon harness specific to the JW LED's.

"The harness will be wired to use the existing vehicle switching to control the headlights. The headlight ON switch with turn on the LOW beams. Moving the HI/LOW switch to the HI position will turn on the HI beams. It will do this by completing the path to ground (in the steering column switch) for the coil in the HI beam relay in the new harness. So, technically the HI beams are still turned on via the steering column switch supplying a ground path. The big difference is the new harness will be wired to supply common ground to the new headlights vs common hot as in the vehicle harness.

The new harness will also work with stock sealed beam headlights or H4 headlights for that matter, so you should be able to use any headlights you choose. ie: you won't have to buy a third LED headlight as a spare."

So much for plug and play eh..... :flipoff2::flipoff2:

<above> SLCfj62 wired mine perfectly and one of the better customer service experiences I've had to date - not to mention, the guy stands behind his work 100%.

Here's a pic of mine installed I grabbed today while at the shop:

Got my harness and LED's headlights to work this afternoon.
These did not function properly, but this was a user set-up error on my part...
Very happy I went with these headlights.
The cut off is great and once they are aimed properly its like having a bowl (shape) of light in front of the vehicle....

EDIT: Posted pics......
20150216_193759.jpg

20150216_193934.jpg

20150216_194549.jpg

20150216_194723.jpg

Last edited:
Shane, thanks for all the info provided... much appreciated eh....

Re: fitment of these headlights...
I decided to go with JW Evo2.
Mine fit, but did not sit flush into the headlight bucket.
I had to do some minor grinding for these to sit flat.
I got an 06/1985 fj60, so it could be that the buckets are a bit different from an '85 production to that of an '87, I don't know.

I'm just sharing what my experience with this lights going into my rig has been like so far.
It is such a minor detail, but still worth mentioning.

They do look bad ASS on an all blacked out grill...!!!!

Now to order a harness from slcfj62 and see what fuzz is all about with this LED's......

Area needed to be grinded off
20141221_155203.jpg

20141219_170914.jpg

QA
20141219_163151.jpg

20141221_154828.jpg

20141222_162616.jpg

20141222_155227.jpg

20141222_155153.jpg

20141222_131337.jpg

x2 on the grinding. I have an 87 and had to grind the same spots. Maybe the back of the evo 2 are slightly different. Manuchao, did you have to get the new harness to get them to work? I didn't know if there was a way to get them to work with the stock harness (yeah, trying to not have to buy yet another part). At least I have the grinding done (was sad to do it on my new buckets) and the new rings and springs in...just have to find out how to get the lights to actually turn on now. :)

Thanks for your input.

Manuchao, did you have to get the new harness to get them to work? Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I had to since I don't have the time to figure this one out...
The good news is that the harness is built very well and an easy plug and play....
You'll forget about it once you get to drive at night with this head lights.
Frank

Yeah, I had to since I don't have the time to figure this one out...
The good news is that the harness is built very well and an easy plug and play....
You'll forget about it once you get to drive at night with this head lights.
Frank

Thanks Frank, looks like l'll be placing an order tomorrow.

AC2BA798-3909-4107-BA13-6A3AAA51800F.jpeg
70BDD6EA-FE6C-4448-8482-949C9A80EF19.jpeg
Reviving a dead thread...

I installed JW Speaker 8700J-C Evo J headlights on my 1985 FJ60. These were not ‘plug n play’, and I spent many hours trying to figure out wiring. Rankuru’s solution looked promising, but I couldn’t make it work for me (maybe because of the H13 final connection on these?)

I ended up putting in a cheap Chinese wiring harness upgrade from Amazon ($24), with a set of H4 to H13 converting antiflicker adaptors ($17). This works great for powering the lights, high beams and low beams. The high beam indicator does not work, but I am okay with that at this point.

The parts:

1Set 2-headlights H4 Headlight Relay Harness Ceramic Socket 1992 Toyota Pickup Led Headlight Harness Relay Kit For Toyota 95-97 Tacoma 88-95 Pickup, Fix 7x6 5x7 6054 Headlights Malfunction, Dimming https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9QQMMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A5x.AbA0598CW

iJDMTOY (2) H4 To H13 Canbus Anti Flicker Resistor Canceller Decoders For LED Headlights, Fog Lights or Aftermarket Headlamps Retrofit, etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HMTS9J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q4x.Ab3DBTB7R

It is definitely a nice safety upgrade for night driving, although it might be too modern of a look for my old truck unless I continue restomod work.

YMMV

View attachment 1702651 View attachment 1702652 Reviving a dead thread...

I installed JW Speaker 8700J-C Evo J headlights on my 1985 FJ60. These were not ‘plug n play’, and I spent many hours trying to figure out wiring. Rankuru’s solution looked promising, but I couldn’t make it work for me (maybe because of the H13 final connection on these?)

I ended up putting in a cheap Chinese wiring harness upgrade from Amazon ($24), with a set of H4 to H13 converting antiflicker adaptors ($17). This works great for powering the lights, high beams and low beams. The high beam indicator does not work, but I am okay with that at this point.

The parts:

1Set 2-headlights H4 Headlight Relay Harness Ceramic Socket 1992 Toyota Pickup Led Headlight Harness Relay Kit For Toyota 95-97 Tacoma 88-95 Pickup, Fix 7x6 5x7 6054 Headlights Malfunction, Dimming Amazon product ASIN B07B9QQMMH
iJDMTOY (2) H4 To H13 Canbus Anti Flicker Resistor Canceller Decoders For LED Headlights, Fog Lights or Aftermarket Headlamps Retrofit, etc Amazon product ASIN B072HMTS9J
It is definitely a nice safety upgrade for night driving, although it might be too modern of a look for my old truck unless I continue restomod work.

YMMV
Reviving your old revival post here. :)

So I just bought these headlights for my 60 and I can’t figure out how to fasten them to my 60. The two long threaded screws and spring won’t fit the lamps and if I use the mounting plate that the long screws and spring hook up to only fastens that secondary bowl but the lights have no screw holes or clips.

Any pictures of how they mount on your 60 would be super helpful. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom