1fz-fe engine management upgrades (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I was wanting to start this thread to get input from those of you out there with knowledge on engine management upgrades for the 1fz-fe, especially the obd11 systems. It seems like boost can be obtained easily enough, but the fuel and ecm/ecu upgrade seems like a bit of trial and error. Perhaps the solutions could be shared as well as where to get them. Maybe I just haven't searched deep enough but so far it still seems confusing. Thanks in advance for all contributions from those who have worked these problems out.

I thought I covered this fairly well in my build thread, but I understand it's easy to get lost in my ramblings. Lol

I don't know of anyone that has truly and successfully used a piggyback system. Given enough time and patience the theory that it could work is there, but the reality hasn't proven that. The problem comes when the stock ECU goes from closed loop to open loop.

Really the question can be better addressed by power levels and what you're looking for. Different power levels will require different strategies to balance ROI.

MEGASQUIRT, sorry to yell but The controller mr T used isn't popular enough to have much support.
MS2 will do it all

I thought I covered this fairly well in my build thread, but I understand it's easy to get lost in my ramblings. Lol

I don't know of anyone that has truly and successfully used a piggyback system. Given enough time and patience the theory that it could work is there, but the reality hasn't proven that. The problem comes when the stock ECU goes from closed loop to open loop.

Really the question can be better addressed by power levels and what you're looking for. Different power levels will require different strategies to balance ROI.
I have read your thread and it's very helpful, I need to read it a few more times really. I guess what I am referring to is when power levels rise above that of a stock trd supercharger i.e. smaller pulley, intercooler or a larger turbo set up

MEGASQUIRT, sorry to yell but The controller mr T used isn't popular enough to have much support.
MS2 will do it all
MS2, is that a brand? I'll check it out. Another question, are any of these diy? Or is it a get some help and a dyno type stuff? I can handle about anything, just never really got deep into modding fuel systems-yet

MS2 is a DIY ecu and fairly cheap. I prefer Motec if I'm going to go through the hassle of going stand alone.

If we are including the MAF trucks post 95 then I think the stock ecu is under utilized.

I'm currently driving around with a scaled MAF and 425cc injectors on a NA truck and have worked out divorsing the IAT sensor from the MAF to read real intake temps post compressor/intercooler.

All in the testing stage at this point but I don't see an issue once I bolt on the blower. But we'll see

Adding larger MAF and matching injectors doesn't solve the open loop closed loop problem with Forced induction.

You could have 1600cc injectors and if the ECU is looking for 14.7:1 AFR's the injector pulse width will be cut to achieve that. The only way to get proper fueling in closed loop under boost is tricking the ECU in some way, either with the O2 sensor like URD and Lilevo have done, or attempting to do it with a piggyback, but really the correct way is a standalone.

I applaud that you have divorced the temp sensor from the pre compressor MAF and put it post compressor with the SC it is a good start for most people here running a SC.

Adding a O2 manipulator will happen after the truck has been dyno'd and evaluated. This initial round is designed to scale the system as to work within in the constraints of the programming of the stock ecu.

On atock system once the air flow exceeds a MAF reading of 3.9v it runs the system at an AFR of 10.0:1 and at around 4.0v pulls timing, as you saw.

I'm trying to avoid those thresholds and then go from there.

MS2 is a DIY ecu and fairly cheap. I prefer Motec if I'm going to go through the hassle of going stand alone.
Which Motec unit do you use? M1? Thanks

The megasquirt is pretty cool, not sure if I can handle that level if do it yourself or not

so i have read all the good threads on boosting (lilevo's twice) and i was just wanting to know what is considered the max you can go without a piggyback setup? somewhere in the 6 or 7 PSI range?

Motec M600 isnt a cheap ECU. But Motec is one of the best.

And FYI none of these will pass any kind of OBDII check if you leave the stock computer in place to control the trans.

Can they if you ditch the stock computer and use some kind of transmission controller?

And FYI none of these will pass any kind of OBDII check if you leave the stock computer in place to control the trans.
Are you talking about during smog testing? So far we don't have that in Michigan- when it comes, I'm moving to Mars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom