toyota,black death sludge, and motor oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been more of a leased-car thing, according to the mech's I talked to today at the Lexus dealership in north dallas. :p

They do the "sludge check" on all of their trade-ins, and have found sludge in a few business leases where the guys abuse the cars -- oil change at 10k or 12k, no other service. :-[

They don't really care, and if they get docked by the lease-holder it's a business expense and their company picks it up. :-/

The guy I know there says he hasn't seen a sludge problem in any vehicle that received halfway decent maintenance. Not to say it couldn't happen to a well-maintained toyota, but it's not the prevalent problem some of the class action lawyers want us to believe.

LT

8)

1)  
BTW, Mobil 1 is on sale at Target right now for $4.29/quart.

WalMart has 5 quart bottles of Mobil 1 for $18.something everyday price. Less plastic waste and less hassle opening all those little quart bottles. And cheaper of course; even with tax it's less than $4/quart.

The guy I know there says he hasn't seen a sludge problem in any vehicle that received halfway decent maintenance.

Hmm, I followed the recommended 7500-mile intervals with whatever oil was on sale. I was really glad it was a lease when I saw that black tar come out of the engine. I didn't baby it like my other cars that always go over 200k with me, but I did follow the schedule. I'm confident my brother won't have trouble with his identical Sienna, it's not a lease and he runs synthetic like every guy in my family of car nuts.

Only problem w/ the M1 5 qt bottles at WalMart, they don't seem to carry the 0w40 ACEA 3 rated M1. Looking at the specs, the 10w30 looks a tad thin for hot summer driving (100F+). Anyone find a good price on 0w40? My local target/walmart don't carry it. I did find a local source for D1...the commercial fuel companies that cater to fleets have that stuff (but again, no M1 0w40 since their customers don't use that).

yep,same problem here....walmart does not have the 0w40 in 5qt jugs.....

gonna run the 10w30 and see how it works out.............

also gonna keep looking for a source for that 0w40 for the next change ::)

doug

[quote author=Jim_Chow link=board=2;threadid=1588;start=0#msg26863 date=1058284410]
Only problem w/ the M1 5 qt bottles at WalMart, they don't seem to carry the 0w40 ACEA 3 rated M1.

[/quote]

I'm using M1 15W-50. It still flows better than dino 5w-30 in the winter. Good stuff.

U run 15w50 in the UP winter? Does the motor even trun over :D I had 20w50 dino in the 60 and when it got 40 F out the motor trun over slowly. Changed it to 10w30 and started fine.
kurt

Best price I've found on the 0w40 is $4.95/qt, $5 shipping per order (normal is $6/qt) from a Benz dealer on the web. That's not so bad if you buy a couple of cases, but for 5 qts, that's still $25. Found a local fuel/oil depot (Canyon State Oil) that stocks D1 in cases (4 gallons/case) for $90 (walk-in price, less if you have an "account," I think), which is less than the Mobil distributor at www.avlube.com since there's no shipping. If you look in the phone book under oil/fuel, it lists the shops that cater to trucking companies/heavy industry.

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=1588;start=0#msg27225 date=1058386010]
U run 15w50 in the UP winter? Does the motor even trun over :D
[/quote]

Mobil-1 15W-50 flows BETTER than 10W30 dino oil in the cold. I changed the oil for the first time on my truck in late November and it became MUCH easier to start in the cold - I was switching from an unknown dino oil that the PO put in t o Mobil-1 15W-50. Synthetic oil flows much, much better than dino - the weight ratings are not equivalent in terms of simple viscosity. This is one of the things that sold me on synth. I'll be switching to synthetic gear oil in my diffs before winter comes for the same reason.

Actually, 10w-30 Dino flows better in the cold than Mobil 1 15w-50. I just got the actual graphs from Mobil showing the thicknesses. If you want I can e-mail you the graphs (they are in a PDF). If you don't believe the graphs, throw a quart of 10w-30 dino, and 15w-50 M1 in the freezer for the night and compare, the 15w-50 is much thicker. If it wasn't it would be 10w-50 or 5w-50.

When you plot the 0w-40 on the graph, it shows that it is the most consistant across tempuratures of all the Mobils and is definetly the most advanced. Also the 0w-30 & 5w-30 are so similar as to be identical.

Cary

On XM radio, they have a auto show. They talked about the Sienna and Toyota's sludge problem. They said that the oil turns to sludge in one part of motor, then the bearings start to starve for oil and knock. Then the rest of oil goes out the blow-by. Is the blow-by the PCV system? They said Toyota is aware of this problem. How do they fix it??
kurt

btt

Random thought/question on using different weight oils for summer & winter: Since the cooling system adapts to varying outside temperatures with the fan clutch and thermostat, are actual engine internal temps really varying by more than a few degrees? I'm speculating not, though the startup temp is certainly different. So if the only advantage of using a summer/winter weight strategy is the cold startup portion of operating then it seems to me an easy flowing synthetic at summer weight would be a fine year round strategy, eh? You'd have easy starts, plus good protection at operating temps. In other words, does it REALLY make sense to use two different weights if you're a synthetic fanatic like me?

What say ye?

You can use the same oil year around, but, a synthetic 10w-30 pumps the same at -15f as a mineral. If it pumped better it would be a 5w-30. So keep in mind that you will want an oil that pumps properly at low enought temperatures.

Also, engine operating temps can vary much more than a few degrees. Take pulling a 5000 pound trailer when it is 35f vs 110f, I will guarantee you a 30 degree oil temp difference. A 30 degree difference in oil temp is one grade difference (i.e. at 220F 40 weight will be the same thickness as 30weight is at 190F; numbers are approximate).

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom