Dogs of MUD! (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like those GSP's. Toss up between GSP, Vizsla, or Boxer for next dog. Right now we have a senior citizen beagle living out her last years and has been the most relaxed dog I've ever seen.

I believe a beagle recently won best in show for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show if I recall correctly!

ejtwna.jpg

Love this thread guys, grew up with labs but just put down a deposit on a Vizsla. We should have her by May/June and are very excited to get her on some road trips to get used to riding in the 100. Anybody here have a Vizsla? Advice is most welcome.

I believe a beagle recently won best in show for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show if I recall correctly!
Correct. FWIW, the AKC agility championship is on tv tonight

Steve

Last edited:
Love this thread guys, grew up with labs but just put down a deposit on a Vizsla. We should have her by May/June and are very excited to get her on some road trips to get used to riding in the 100. Anybody here have a Vizsla? Advice is most welcome.
I hunt birds with a neighbor who has a Vizla. "Cooper" can point, track, and retrieve on land and in water.

He's extremely intelligent (and that's coming from someone who's had Australian Cattle Dogs for a long time) and exceptionally well trained. Owner can put him in a down in the kitchen, drop a slice of baloney a foot away and tell him to wait. Twenty minutes later and the dog hasn't moved...I've seen it.

Steve

2jqMa1o.jpg

Sammy's Halloween Costume, Angus MacGyver ready to diffuse any situation with a paperclip, leatherman, and best haircut ever.
9yAnIk6.jpg

Sammy and her best friend Riley (a golden mix) enjoying the shade at the Northend (Carolina Beach).
tujNouX.jpg

Samster out exploring after some fresh fallen snow yesterday.

Sammy is a 7 year old Australian Kelpie / Cattle Dog mix. Rescued her from a kill shelter in Northern Kentucky when she was about 1, been with me since.

High on my list of 'next' dogs. Short hair = minimal cleanup off floor = happy Mrs. OregonLC. And they're smart as a whip. After having and ACD I've grown accustomed to a companion smarter than I am. Doesn't take much as Mrs. OregonLC will remind me. At least the dog has the common courtesy not to rub it in my face.

I know a couple people that own them. Both dogs I've seen are good, smart dogs and do well in the house. I view the breed as an all-purpose dog. Good at home and with kids, good in the field, easy to clean, short hair. Probably at the top of my list. I really like German short haired pointers, but it's optimistic that I will have the time everyday to let one run wild as they like to do. Australian shepherds are also really good, smart dogs... But most of them are so driven I feel like you need to devote at least an hour everyday to keep them happy.

Owner can put him in a down in the kitchen, drop a slice of baloney a foot away and tell him to wait. Twenty minutes later and the dog hasn't moved...I've seen it.

Steve

Haha.
That's awesome. Our Dane doesn't hunt, but he's learned "wait" and several other commands very well. Big boy sits staring at his food bowl, drooling buckets until I tell him to "take it." Poor beast sat there for probably 10 minutes the other night because I got distracted and forgot to release him. If only people were this reliable!

Louie (left) and Diego, 12 years old, siblings and inseparable. We've had the Brown Brothers since they were 8 weeks. Flew them from Australia to the US when we moved in 2005. Siblings but very different personalities. Lou is a "good ol boy" and just likes to hang out with people and get scratched and Diego is the mischief maker, if something is missing he most likely has stolen it and he brings a gift to whomever comes home first. It might be a chewed up squirrel toy or a shoe or maybe, if you're lucky, a lounge pillow or throw rug. They can't quite jump up into the back of the truck when we take them to the park now, that's where AHC lowering comes in handy ;)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424400641.654684.jpg

Jake 85 pounds of Standard Poodle.

Helping fix the 100 when the front diff blew

With Spressomon and Sig at Berlin

Death Valley 2008

He loves snow

The Revellie Trip

Going home from one of the Death Valley trips.

Oregon LC...I like your taste in dogs.

We're on our third ACD...they tend to go on for a very long time. To say this one is "busy" would be the understatement of the year. :doh: They're scary-smart.

This is "Bluey", she'll turn 11 months old tomorrow. She has basic obedience down pat...she's working moving horses around without getting killed or hurting a horse. The DNA is strong in this girl. She's from Adrian, Oregon.

Our prior ACD was "Star", who died peacefully in December of 2013 at 15. Before that, "Hank the Cow Dog" made it to 16 years 11 months...in his prime, he could easily knock down 20 miles a day moving cattle down from the Owyhee's in the fall, and back up in the spring. Not a day goes by that he doesn't come to mind. ;)

She's been beyond fantastic. Unfortunately the shedding and lack of tolerance for little kids has caused a bit of a divide. Would also like to have a bit more protection for the fam.

If I could choose I'd go with a Malinois, but again the shedding thing. A labradoodle might be a good fit but I just don't dig them. Maybe just a good old chocolate lab will fit the bill. Rusty's standard poodle looks like a great companion too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom