Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures - FAQ Item (Recommend Keeping Copy in Truck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
For updates or revisions, please PM me, nuclerlemon or semlin

The below is a troubleshooting guide if your in the boonies to help isolate a non starting vehicle problem. This is a compilation from forum members, specifically RavenTai, KliersLC, Landtank and Beaowulf. This will not catch each and every problem, but if your vehicle won’t start here are a few things you can try.

Recommended standard tools:
  • Pliers, Spark plug removal tool, screwdrivers and wrenches fund in tool kit with tire tools in back on the left side
  • Emery cloth or other to clean battery connections (Wire brush)
  • Voltmeter
  • Timing light or other tool to validate spark
  • OBD II Scanner (Not reader) for 96 and up.
Scenario 1:
Turn key, no cranking of engine:

Possibilities -Cables, Battery or fusible link
* Inspect Battery cables.
* Inspect/Check fusible link (see below). You can use a voltmeter to verify 12V at alternator or starter. Verify ground to chassis with volt meter (<1 ohm).
* Clean battery terminals and inspect fusible link (see below). Jump vehicle if necessary, try with another battery if available. Note, if contacts are corroded, jumping may not work. Also, poor quality cables may not be able to effectively jump vehicle.

There is also the possibility of the Neutral Saftey switch or a common problem of the connector having coroded wires at the Transmission. See this thread for my troubleshooting of this problem on my daighters truck. You can sometimes test this by wiggling the connector

Scenario 2:
Turn key, click or many clicks (no crank):

Possibilities - starter and/or low battery voltage.
* Clean battery terminals and jump vehicle, if there is still only a click, keep trying, it is likely it will fire after 10-15 tries
* Some have tapped the starter with hammer with success.

Scenario 3:
Turn key, engine turns over but does not run:

Possibilities - Lack of spark from ignition system (Distributor) or lack of fuel. Note: Fuel + Spark + Compression = engine that starts, must have all 3.

* Compression does not instantly disappear without letting itself be known (big noise, big hole in side of the block etc).
* if no check engine light when the key is turned to on then the fuel injection system, more specifically the ECU is not powered.
* Check to see if there is spark via one of the three methods

o If there is a spark plug removal tool in the tool kit, pull a plug (#1 is easy) reinsert the plug into the plug wire and hold it against the motor so the plug gets ground, have some one crank the engine, you should see spark
o If you have access to a timing light you can check for spark without having to remove the plug
o Or, spark tool such as one from Harbor Freight:
* Check to verify Fuel pressure is present:

o Quick test for fuel pressure is to remove the return line from the fuel pressure regulator, it is a spring clamp right on top and easy to get to, all you need is the pair of pliers from the tool kit, after the line is removed crank the engine fuel should come out of the pressure regulator, if it does not you have a fuel problem, out of fuel, bad fuse, bad fuel pump relay, bad pump
o to find this line find the fuel injectors nestled in the valley between the intake plenum and valve cover, at the top of the injectors is the fuel rail it is cast aluminum, follow the fuel rail all the way to the front where you will find a tallish flying saucer looking devise, that is the fuel pressure regulator,
o where the pressure regulator threads into the fuel rail is high pressure fuel, at the top is a vacuum line, in the middle is the fuel pressure return that is the line we want to remove to check for fuel flow.
o You might want to remove the gas cap to relive any pressure so less fuel will come out when you remove the line.
o And of course be safe around fuel, For instance do the spark check first before you cover the top of the engine in fuel, also try to get as little on you as possible, if you do get fuel on you wipe it off ASAP, no need to turn a roadside repair into a visit to the local burn unit and a totaled cruiser.
o Another option is using the OBD II port with the ignition on a 96 and up. You need a scanner that monitors real time data.
o Check Fusible Links per below.
o (If other tests show no fuel present) Potentially fuel relay (located in fender) contacts are corroded. The proper way of cleaning a relay is with a burnishing tool. This is like a ultra fine very thin file specifically for relay contacts. Good luck finding one, I did and it was an hour away. So plan B, (not -B-), is to use an old trick I (Landtank) was taught back when I first started in field service.
What you need to find is a new match book. Cut the strike area out of the book and you have a very good substitute foe a burnishing tool. You slide the striker in between the contacts and the in a filing motion clean the contacts. DO NOT add any addition force to pinch the contacts closer!!! Once done on one contact flip and rotate the striker to clean the other contact in a clean area of the striker.​
TrickyT said:
If you suspect a problem with fuel delivery, it's pretty easy to test the fuel pump and associated wiring. Locate the fuel pump relay (see picture), unbolt it from the fender and disconnect the relay from its socket. Locate terminal #3 in the relay socket. If you are looking down at the socket and holding it so that there's a row of three terminals on top and a second row with only one terminal in the middle position on the bottom, then terminal #3 is the rightmost position in the top row. If you measure with an ohm meter from #3 to ground you should get between 0.5 - 1 ohm resistance. You can also connect a wire from terminal #3 to +12v on the battery. This should cause the fuel pump to run and you should easily be able to hear fuel running through the fuel rail.
attachment.php

a blowing EFI Fuse Story

ONLY AFTER ROLLOVERS:
Probably Good voltage but no engine crank: cylinders filled with oil
* Pull efi fuse and plugs and then crank engine, make big mess, install one plug at a time until it will turn over with all installed, reinstall EFI fuse and prepare for a large cloud of smoke.

Fusible Links and Relays
Below is a list of fuses and fusible links and relays critical for engine run, this is taken from a 96 LX EWD, should work for 95-97 I would imagine 93/94 would be similar.
There are three fusible links near the positive post of the battery, all three are needed for the engine to start and run, they look just like wires as that is basically what they are, they are intentionality weak wiring that melts with too much current, a blown one may melt in half insulation and all and smoke a lot, or the insulation may just look bubbly and melted on the surface but still look attached, or may look just fine from the outside but be severed inside
The three come from Toyota as a set, all three are replaced at the same time, they are cheap, everyone should have a set in their glove box, and everyone should also carry an assortment of regular blade fuses also,

"Main" Fusible link, critical as it is upstream of the 15A EFI fuse under the hood, you can test this one from the drivers seat by turning on the radio, headlights, ac/heat fan, defrost, stop light, tail lights and telephone, if any of the above work then this fusible link is good,

"AM1" Fusible link, critical as it is upstream of the ignition switch and provides the power for to the starter solenoid, you can check this one from the drivers seat by checking the horn/hazards, dome light, diff locks, rear heat, turn signals, cigarette lighter, or wipers,
If you have the hazard & horn but none of the others check the big 50A AM1 fuse in the under hood fuse box (50A AM1 fuse not to be confused with the AM1 fusible link) Might not be a bad idea to stock a 50A fuse incase the big AM1 fuse blows

"AM2" is probably the most engine centric, it provides power to the ignition switch, the injectors, the igniter, the ignition coil, the distributor, and the alternator control system, if you get the yellow light on the volt meter with “key on engine off” this fusible link is good,​

There are only three critical regular sized fuses required for the engine to start and run
15A EFI located in the under hood fuse box
7.5A Ignition located in the fuse box at the drivers knee
15A ECU-IG located in the fuse box at the drivers knee
attachment.php

You should stock at least some 15A and 7.5 amp blade fuses if not a complete set, but those two sizes are what you need to limp home.

Critical Relays
EFI main relay, under hood fuse box & Circuit opening relay, turns fuel pump on and off, located behind the drivers left kick panel, Both of these relays are the same part number, 90987-02004, you should have one in the glove box.

Starter cut relay, for theft deterent, usually drivers left kick panel, starter cut relay probably depends on wich alarm you have, some trucks may not eve have this relay.

Fuel pump relay, changes the speed of the fuel pump, bolted to the drivers side inner fender near the back on the edge of a large opening. part number 28381-16020, not as cheap but roadside repairable per Ricks instructions, so you do not have to stock this one.

attachment.php

If you have a stock of all of the above in your glove box none of the “consumable” electronics can keep your 80 from running.

Last edited:
Nice write up, but quite a few typos and misused words.

Last edited:
No problem and thanks. Hopefully you weren't offended by the critique.
Either way thanks for the extra links (although that first one is a link to this very thread). I'm having no starter issues as I'm sure you guessed. I've read several links already but will click those and see what else I can glean. It's single digits out right now so more than basic trouble shooting is out of the question.

Symptoms I've been having.....

On coldish days on the first start the starter would spin but not engage or only engage partially and grind a little. Usually on the second attempt it would start right up and be fine for the rest of the day. Last night we had a record cold night and this morning the starter wouldn't do a thing, not even a click. All lights on dash come on appropriately even when turning key to start position. If I've read correctly that means my neutral safety switch is fine. I've double checked the battery connections and everything is fine there. All accessories seem to work thus indicating that the fusable links are fine. In my head, it's come down to doing this......

http://www.george4wd.taskled.com/starter.html

I've inquired into obtaining the parts already. The truck has 219k on it and I've only owned it a few months so I don't know the history of the starter. Couldn't even say if it's the original one or not....or even if it's an OEM or aftermarket. Wish it wasn't so damn cold out. Thankfully I have another car.

Any input is always welcomed.

I found it in the FAQ thread which IS a sticky.

The first link in the thread goes through a lot of troubleshooting I did on my daughters truck. I would checkout the connector on the Tranny. If you can get it to fail, try wiggling that connector and see if it has any impact.

The first link in the thread goes through a lot of troubleshooting I did on my daughters truck. I would checkout the connector on the Tranny. If you can get it to fail, try wiggling that connector and see if it has any impact.

Based on the symptoms I've been having I'm not thinking it's the NSS on the tranny plus this truck just came up from FL and it pretty rust free, granted it's been driving around in snowy and salty conditions the last two months. I'm not completely ruling out the NSS but I'm leaning towards the starter itself at the moment.

Also of note....I was just looking at rock auto and it appears they have brand new Denso units for $96! That seems cheap to me.

* if no check engine light when the key is turned to on then the fuel injection system, more specifically the ECU is not powered.

This is me. Stuck in (thank goodness) my driveway for two weeks. What then?

This is me. Stuck in (thank goodness) my driveway for two weeks. What then?

Then check your EFI fuse and EFI Relay. It is probably one of those two. You can check the EFI relay by swapping it out with one in the driver's kick panel. There are a couple in there that are the same part number. But check the EFI fuse first. It's in the fuse box under the hood.

I had checked EFI fuse and relay--no resistance, 12V to 2 plug at OFF and 3 at ON. I just tried swapping as you said, still cranks but no start (no CEL either during start).

Going to football game (UofA Wildcats), will re-engage in morning, thank you for assist!

I don't have a 3FE; the 94 has the 1FZ-FE. Not sure the troubleshooting guide will completely match up?

Looks like a lot of good info in it

A lot of the same stuff. Same procedures.

OK I may have found a salient anomaly...voltage across ECU-B 10A fuse under dash is only 4.4V with ignition ON. Can that be right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom