Factory Repair Panels for Rear Fenders: FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.c2motorsports.net
So I am beginning the restoration of my TLC FJ62, and while sitting here at my desk I have come up with an incredible plan.....in my head ;) As I will be pulling the motor out of my cruiser and installing an 5.3 Vortec, I am starting to think about body/bumper work for my project.

I have decided to cut the lower rear 1/4's out so that I can extend the rear bumper up to the rear of the wheel arch. This is to achieve two things, 1. rust removal since I cannot find repair panels, 2. it will also offer a rear 1/4 body protection.

On to my Paint and Body question. Has anyone found or used any repair panels from any other manufacture that replicates the fender profiles of the FJ60/62? I was thinking that if there was another car/truck company that had a similar fender profile as our 60's, I could use it as a donor piece of good metal instead of trying to fabricate a complete new fender lip.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts or experience on this

chris
c2

dr rear.jpg

pass rear sm.jpg

pass rear.jpg

All I have ever heard about is Wolf steel rear quarters/doglegs.
http://alfaparts.net/tlc.htm

Also heard mention of Cool Cruisers repair panels...

As far as other makes/models that match the 60...no idea. I bet a early Suburban would look close, but be way off. How about donor panels from another 60? That's the route I am taking with almost the entire rear half of my BJ60. It's a ton of spot weld drilling but very little fabbing and bending.

So as a follow up, I wanted to update where I am with my quest:

1. I have ordered and received a complete set (both sides) of the Wolf Steel rear 1/4 panels. http://alfaparts.net/tlc.htm
2. I have ordered and waiting to receive 3x sets of the www.wuestentauglich.de parts coming in from Germany.

Since I am only restoring 1x FJ62 at this time, I will have several sets of the rear 1/4 panels leftover if anyone is interested, or needs them.

Chris
c2

Chris
I could use a drivers side rear panel. It looks like you will be using the first set you ordered? I don't speak German I'm unsure what the other parts look like are they the same? My sister comes through Kentucky now and then and I will be making a trip later this spring or summer.

Kevin of WagonGear here in MUD did what you are thinking of. He trimmed the rear quarters off his 60 and also the
lower rockers to incorporate sliders. He did a full body replacement thread here somewhere. Really good work, well
documented if you can find it.

so now that I have all of the "pieces to the puzzle" here at my shop.......I can say that I am happy with both. The Wolf pieces have more metal included, and I think will allow for a better blend with the metal work.

German pieces are nice, although there are ripples in the radius arches, which I think are due to inadequate "shrinking" of the metal. Nothing that some prep work won't eliminate....but since I have both to compare.

I am leaving the country for work, but when I return, I will post up some detailed pictures for everyone to make their own judgment.
I can say that I am SOOO HAPPY to have both of these items here, and really happy that they were available for my restoration

c2

Chris
I could use a drivers side rear panel. It looks like you will be using the first set you ordered? I don't speak German I'm unsure what the other parts look like are they the same? My sister comes through Kentucky now and then and I will be making a trip later this spring or summer.

959020013399_ml.png

I have the following extras available
4x DS Repair Panel
4x PS Repair Panel

Let me know if anyone is interested in these panels for their project ! ! !

Chris, how was the quality of the pieces from Germany?

They seem to be good, and I think are a very viable solution for repair.

Hey Chris,

I hope you can find someone locally to install the panels. It seems like it can be pretty hard these days to find shops willing to work on these cool old trucks. I went to a few body shops in town and most just told me they did insurance work and one even told me "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole" ...ouch! I thankfully found someone well versed in these cruisers who is currently doing some metalwork for me. I am sure you will find someone locally too.

My 83 FJ60 has similar quarter panel rust and I am interested in buying a pair from you. How much would you want for a set shipped to 28692?

-Sean

Hey Chris,

My 83 FJ60 has similar quarter panel rust and I am interested in buying a pair from you. How much would you want for a set shipped to 28692?

-Sean

Sean,

Give me a call when you have a chance and I can let you know what I have available; I have no issues getting a set shipped out to you.

chris

Jason (@reevesci) has some repair panel parts. Don't believe that he has the actual internal wheel well portions but he may have a lead on some. Best bet is to always find a donor truck somewhere.

All I have ever heard about is Wolf steel rear quarters/doglegs.
http://alfaparts.net/tlc.htm

Also heard mention of Cool Cruisers repair panels...

As far as other makes/models that match the 60...no idea. I bet a early Suburban would look close, but be way off. How about donor panels from another 60? That's the route I am taking with almost the entire rear half of my BJ60. It's a ton of spot weld drilling but very little fabbing and bending.
Curious to see what folks think about the quarter patch panels from alfaparts... also looking at some from cruiserparts. Quarter Panel Rear / Left Patch FJ60, FJ62, BJ 1980-1990 - https://cruisercorps.com/collections/sheet-metal-body-panels/products/quarter-panel-rear-patch-left

I have and 886 fj60 and am starting to look into repairing the severe rust-out in both rear quarter panels.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Steve H

I'm also curious what peoples thoughts are on the Wolf rear quarter panels vs the Cruiser Corp panel?? The wolf one is more expensive but likes to be a little better fit. I just need the drivers lower rear section where most of them rust so I would be cutting most of it away anyways especially on the Wolf panel. Thanks for the help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom