ATF in rear diff.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to base lining the gear oil in the diffs and t-case on my '97 factory locked TLC this weekend. I bought it back just before Thanksgiving. Front diff oil was gray soup and the rear was full of what I am pretty sure is ATF. I drove the truck just before I drained the diffs so the oil would be warm and drain better. I let the rear drip for a good half hour before I refilled with dino 75w90.

Do I need to be worried at all about damage to the rear diff due to the wrong lube? Is there any reason it would have been filled with ATF? Do I need to change the diff oil again soon to try and get rid of any remaining ATF that was still in the diff?

It may be all in my head but it seemed like I needed less gas pedal to get up to speed on my way to work this morning.

Redline gear oil?

Likely won't hurt. If your paranoid, meticulous or a regular OCD LC Owner; run 75W90 for a few thousand miles then drain and refill.
I put Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in all mine, but not cheap. Get the $2 screw on hand pump at parts place to pump in the center diff oil unless you can pour uphill.

Redline gear oil?

I don't have any experience with Red Line oils but is was definitely red, thinner than gear oil, and smelled just like ATF.

I am always in disbelief whenever I think about my 2 Ford 7.3 Powerstrokes diesels that use ATF in their transfer cases. Just seems wrong, but it works. I would bet you are going to be alright.

Was prob leaking and someone tried to revive seals with atf. Atf makes rubber swell.

I'd say if the magnet doesn't have steel on it yet you're ok. I always change out M/T or transfer cases to something heavier than atf-10-30 5-50 etc.

I am always in disbelief whenever I think about my 2 Ford 7.3 Powerstrokes diesels that use ATF in their transfer cases. Just seems wrong, but it works. I would bet you are going to be alright.

Agreed, same thing on the J@#p XJ I had a couple rigs ago.

Was prob leaking and someone tried to revive seals with atf. Atf makes rubber swell.

I thought about that, we'll see if it starts leaking in the future. There wasn't any evidence of prior leaks on the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom