Rebuild 74 FJ40 RHD from Down Under - 2F to 2H to 12HT - 40 series Axles with 80 series Coils (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll just butt in on Watrob's behalf (hope this is ok)
He is in Queensland, Australia and yes, it is a 40 series chassis (swb)

I'll just butt in on Watrob's behalf (hope this is ok)
He is in Queensland, Australia and yes, it is a 40 series chassis (swb)
Ok no dramas would make my resto easier ! Can I get him or if you know him to contact me to discuss further ?

I guess he'll chime in soon here. @watrob usually responds pretty quickly. Otherwise, you could try starting a 'conversation' with him on here.

Have now completed 700klm, and over the weeked towed the boat behind at high tide in 3rd gear, so much power.

Also pulled out a bogged Jeep Wrangler in soft deep damp beach sand, I averaged 13.5L/100klm towing the boat up & down the breach over the long weekend, pretty happy with that.

Thought I would just show you a little trick for those who maybe thinking of install a H55F 5 speed transmission into there 40 series. As you know the transmission hump or cover needs altering as the gear sticks actually sit back further and the transmission protrudes high into the cabin, just get a 75 series transmission cover which bolts on top? Will give you a couple more inches in height and cover the bigger opening that is required.

Tranmission cover.jpg

transmission2.jpg

The tacho is standard on 40's that had diesel engines here in Australia, they were placed on the dash exactly where I have mine. Australia got 12V systems and the left hand drive 40 diesels tended to be 24v. I installed the red & green led lights to show boost?

There was a guy making repros for the oem tach bezel In aluminum

A search on mud will find it most likely

Great trick for the tranny cover... Much easier for the down under crowd ... In USA we got NGS (no good stuff) :)

Edit: here's the thread... Tachometers for your 40 Series Landcruiser. FJ, BJ, HJ

I think there may have been another guy as well :meh:

hwzt! thinking of doing the 12ht and h55 swap into my 45 as one has come up. how does it perform in your 40? any ideas as to fuel consumption?

hwzt! thinking of doing the 12ht and h55 swap into my 45 as one has come up. how does it perform in your 40? any ideas as to fuel consumption?
Do it. Greatest engine ever. Pulls like a freight train. Sounds like a Cat 900.

Do it. Greatest engine ever. Pulls like a freight train. Sounds like a Cat 900.

am really wanting to do it. checked over the torque and kW figures and looking good, plus its a diesel so :D just need it to be a decent price now

The best 40 series is one with a 12HT in it coupled to a 5 speed, its like going from a 4 cylinder engine to a 6 cylinder. If you have a 2H and put in a 12HT you will wonder why you did not do it years ago, a 2H is a boat anchor compared to a 12HT.

Line up 2 40's, one with a 12HT and the other with a 2H or the petrol 6 cylinder in it, which one would you buy?

12HT are a work of art!
IMG_1368.JPG

looks awesome! any ideas on consumption? i ask bc where i am in Zimbabwe, fuel aint cheap and my 45 is my DD, and the 2F, however much i like it, HAS GOT TO GO! ive had a 2H powered 45 before and got around 8km/l. what can i realistically expect from a 12ht?

12-14L/100km in a ute unloaded but enjoying the 3" system and turbo whistle a little.

12-14L/100km in a ute unloaded but enjoying the 3" system and turbo whistle a little.

awesome, thats right where i need it to be...

heres how the engine looks. the deal is this and a h55 for US$4000

20161013_151008.jpg

20161013_151023.jpg

20161013_151016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom