Parts that Leave You Stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about buying a few parts that could leave me stranded. I have a 2004 LX470 with 210k. I'm going to place an order just to be extra safe (even though I know this truck is amazingly reliable).

I'm thinking:

Thermostat
T-Thermostat Hose
Coils
All Belts (that show any signs of wear)

Timing Belt was done at 180k, so I'll wait to do that again.

Any other parts that might go out and could leave you stranded? Right now, I think AHC is most likely to leave me stranded, but since parts are $$$, I'll deal with that when I need to. I might track down some used globes.

I always carry a spare CV when I go wheeling.

Right now, I think AHC is most likely to leave me stranded, but since parts are $$$, I'll deal with that when I need to. I might track down some used globes.

AHC is way down the list. I've never heard of it stranding anyone.

I think you've got it covered with the rest. And of course the number one component to leave you stranded is the battery if you go out without a backup or way to jump/charge.

I always carry a spare CV when I go wheeling.

How much is a spare cv? And can you repair it with the suspension under load or would you have to jack it up?

What about the fusible links? Or is that only an issue on the 80s?

Definitely have to jack it up. It requires undoing the ball joint from the control arm

How much is a spare cv? And can you repair it with the suspension under load or would you have to jack it up?

Leave me stranded? If you are up to date on the maintenance and have replaced the T I can't imagine anything could leave you stranded. Duct tape and a pair of pliers should be enough.

No- I'm not joking. 16 years and 331k of experience with the same 100 forms my opinion.

Leave me stranded? If you are up to date on the maintenance and have replaced the T I can't imagine anything could leave you stranded. Duct tape and a pair of pliers should be enough.

No- I'm not joking. 16 years and 331k of experience with the same 100 forms my opinion.

Ever bust the ignition switch?

Tools and the know how to get home in 2wd after you blow the front differential.

Tool cost: less than $25
Know how: priceless

You guys have a weird definition of "stranded"...

Transmission
Starter
Ignition cylinder
Brake master cylinder
Timing belt

I've personally been stranded 3 times in Land Cruisers I've owned (2 due to the Cruiser.) Once due to the ignition cylinder, had to tow, fortunately in town when it happened. Once due to alternator, truck died pulling into driveway. Once due to dead battery in new-to-me 80 series in BFE with family, had to hike out and call for help. Installed dual battery after that. Oh geez, forgot all the times I was stranded in the FJ60. Land Cruisers aren't some kind of magic unicorn-truck. It IS possible to be stranded and practically impossible to carry all the parts to remedy it. Go with the odds...

Along these lines I am wondering when do you decide to just change some of these parts out before they have the chance to leave you stranded? I know there are 50 different opinions on this but I have over 260,000 miles on the original starter, alternator, and fuel pump. Should I drop new ones in so I don't have to worry? Or don't fix what ain't broken? I have some starter rebuild parts but seems like once you work on or replace the factory starter they don't last as long as the factory one did. If I thought the replacement parts would last close to as long as the factory stuff I think I would just replace. But where do you stop replacing parts? That thought process could get really expensive. And take away from spending money on cool Cruiser stuff.

I've personally been stranded 3 times in Land Cruisers I've owned (2 due to the Cruiser.) Once due to the ignition cylinder, had to tow, fortunately in town when it happened. Once due to alternator, truck died pulling into driveway. Once due to dead battery in new-to-me 80 series in BFE with family, had to hike out and call for help. Installed dual battery after that. Oh geez, forgot all the times I was stranded in the FJ60. Land Cruisers aren't some kind of magic unicorn-truck. It IS possible to be stranded and practically impossible to carry all the parts to remedy it. Go with the odds...
Now, the FJ60 is a different story. Bought mine new in 1987 and its left me stranded a couple of times but every time because I didn't know how to fix it where it was. Now I know and it hasn't left me 'stranded' since. I use all my cruisers for driving to work, taking trips long and short, and rough road / mud driving so my issues may be different than you rock crawlers.

60 issues were design issues, just like the 100, not related to usage - think leaky PS pump right above smog pump that shares belt with water pump. Fortunately, the failure rate of Cruiser parts that leave you stranded is much lower than competitive options.

Along these lines I am wondering when do you decide to just change some of these parts out before they have the chance to leave you stranded? I know there are 50 different opinions on this but I have over 260,000 miles on the original starter, alternator, and fuel pump. Should I drop new ones in so I don't have to worry? Or don't fix what ain't broken? I have some starter rebuild parts but seems like once you work on or replace the factory starter they don't last as long as the factory one did. If I thought the replacement parts would last close to as long as the factory stuff I think I would just replace. But where do you stop replacing parts? That thought process could get really expensive. And take away from spending money on cool Cruiser stuff.
I follow the recommended maintenance schedule to the letter. If something looks like it could be catastrophic without warning, and cheap, like the T, then I change it out periodically whether it looked bad or not. Everything else is by inspection and replace if necessary. The only thing I found that fell into that bucket was the starter. I replaced the starter every 75-90k miles. The neutral safety switch was getting a little dodgy on cold mornings but I could overcome that by wiggling the shifter. I would replace that if I was moving back to Alaska but not otherwise. Other than that no issues. The timing belt is a normal maintenance item, as are all the fluids, belts, and hoses. Anyone who has problems in those areas is neglecting their maintenance. Radiators seem to be bulletproof as long as you follow maintenance and power flush occasionally. Transmission seems to be bulletproof. Front and rear diffs seem bulletproof but I did not abuse them or go rock crawling. AC never even needed a recharge. Radio still worked, even the power antenna (keep it clean and lubed). Sunroof and windows never had any issues either, although the drivers side window was a little slower than when new. Never had any issues with the fuel pump even when using some dodgy third world gasoline. Keep a few extra fuel filters on hand if you are heading too far south of the border. That's it. Some people make it a hobby of worrying about and replacing things on their truck. No issues with that - everyone has their thing. My hobby was driving to cool places and having fun. My LC (and now LX570) is just the tool to get there. My dad taught me to use but take care of tools so that's what I do. Nothing more, nothing less. And it's worked out well for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom