Storage bins for the roof and for inside the Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a couple of these in the back of my 60.
They're tough and have the water tight gasket and I wouldn't think twice about stacking them or standing on them (at the corners) if necessary.
medbx.jpg

They fit perfectly under my sleeping platform and I got them for like $50 for both.
Admittedly, $50 is a steal so you'll have to keep an eye out on craigslist and such to find a good deal these days.
When I bought them, I think they were billed as a medical supply chest - army surplus of course.
Sportsman's Guide has these and the Hardiggs all the time for pretty cheap

Hi all,

I have been using one of the Plano brand boxes in the back of my Tacoma pu for the last two years and it has worked fine.

The problem with the Rubbermaid Action Packer is the fact that the floor of the box is very thin plastic. If it moves or rubs any amount in a moving vehicle it will crack/break/rub through. I know this from personal experience, many years ago.

Good luck,

Alan

When I'm not trying to work out all of the kinks of what must have been a hasty diesel swap performed right before I bought it, I'm putting together my buy list for expedition gear.

I'm sorely lacking in organized storage and have been looking for a few boxes. The requirements I have are:

1. Water resistant. I doubt I'll spring for anything water proof for the all the extra money it'll cost.

2. Sturdy enough to stand/sit on.

3. Mountable to the front of the roof rack with enough room for a roof top tent mounted to the rear of the rack (ARB full, which I plan to cut the side bars off of in the rear to accomodate the roof rack) and a couple of Jerry cans in between the boxes.

4. Fits well in the back of the Cruiser when I don't want to mount them on the roof rack.

5. As much as I hate to trade with Wal-Mart, I'd prefer to drop a $100 gift card that I have on them so I've been loking at the links below. It's not a hard requirement though.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Molding-1819-XXL-Storage-Box/20893857

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Store-It-All-Storage-Set-of-4/28864489#ProductDetail

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Action-Packer-Storage-Box-24gal/16778190
^^A lot of forum members seem to have complaints about these

At some point I think I want to get a pair of the interior cargo (Jerry Can) holders for the back of the Cruiser, which may free up some space on the top of the Cruiser for larger/more boxes.

Anyone have any comments on any of the above three, or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I bought three Pelican 1600 cases. They should fit nicely on the roof and still lay pretty flat. I found a deal on them used, got all three for $90. The guy had a few storage containers of used Pelican cases.

I have used a "contico 37" work bin" that was given to me by Josie'slandcruiser for years . It is thick enough to hold all the smalls that go along with camping and a fat dog can ride ontop with no issues. It also never leaked any water. I traveled over the pass when it was raining and all I had was the half top on.
I would have to agree with Alan about the action packers. I blew the corners out in two seasons of wheelin. It's not the best pic I have of the setup , but I am currently between cruisers.

P1030196.JPG

I have a couple of these in the back of my 60.
They're tough and have the water tight gasket and I wouldn't think twice about stacking them or standing on them (at the corners) if necessary.
medbx.jpg

They fit perfectly under my sleeping platform and I got them for like $50 for both.

I have a few of these in different heights. They are perfect for a roof rack. I drilled holes in two of mine so they can be clamped securely to the rack without needing tie downs. The only downside to these is that it's a bit of a PITA to open and close them with all the latches. If you plan to bolt them in place be sure to leave space around them to operate the latches.

I'm 240-ish pounds and can stand/walk on these without any issues.

I like the green med boxes they keep dust out and fit on the FJ40 rack nice. Dusey Ershim

Yep. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay too. The medical storage ones are the ideal setup since they are air/water tight.

BTW, these boxes are aluminum. Not sure if that was mentioned.

There are some much taller versions, around 24" that separate into two halves. IMO, these are too tall for a roof rack but perfect for a trailer.

thx! Guessing from the above thes eare 12" or so tall? Thanks for clarifying they are aluminum. They look petroleum based.

A few photos.

The top box is 7" tall with the lid on it. The bottom one is 11" tall. The clam shell type is 24" tall assembled with two 12" halves.

I included the 5 gallon bucket and the plastic tote for size comparison.

army_box1.jpg
army_box2.jpg
army_box3.jpg

I just bought two more of these, from a guy off e-bay. He was not too far from my town, so we drove there. I had my pick of them, got brand new ones, never even had the rubber gasket put in. Not a mark on them. The gaskets were in a bag. He had a lot of different ones, the double stackers, etc.

I paid $75 a piece, high I guess, but if I remember right, I paid more for my two old ones, with shipping added.

Tribal Industries was stenciled on inside of the lid.

I've got a few surplus boxes that I've been using for years, including one of those Med Boxes. The med boxes are great but when they are fully loaded they can be pretty heavy and hard to move around if you need to. I found some surplus rocket boxes that are basically the same length as the med boxes by half as wide. So you can carry the same amount of gear in two of those and they aren't as heavy to move.

Here's my med box mounted to my bedrack. I sprayed it with bedliner.

These are the rocket boxes.

thx! Guessing from the above thes eare 12" or so tall? Thanks for clarifying they are aluminum. They look petroleum based.
IMHO pound for pound they are much stronger than a similar size / weight plastic box.

I've got a few surplus boxes that I've been using for years, including one of those Med Boxes. The med boxes are great but when they are fully loaded they can be pretty heavy and hard to move around if you need to. I found some surplus rocket boxes that are basically the same length as the med boxes by half as wide. So you can carry the same amount of gear in two of those and they aren't as heavy to move.
Are the rocket boxes steel or aluminum?

I know the medical boxes are alum. and I'm guessing so are the rocket boxes. Most of the different big boxes are alum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom