J. Utah's Build Log (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The purpose of my build thread is to document the slow evolution of my 2005 Land Cruiser. I purchased the vehicle in July 2014. As it sits it is pretty much stock. I will list starting specs below. This vehicle will be my daily driver but also I intend for it to be used for general road trips on holidays and hopefully road trips that end with dirt roads, tents, dogs, and scenic views. I will say up front I am a 1-2 banana mechanic with a 5 banana sense of courage that can sometimes get me in over my head. You will try alot of stuff with extra time and a 6 pack in the garage on a Saturday.

I dont want to just lump on all the sexy things like lights and bumpers to make it look as if it can go anywhere but also add the many unseen things that allow all our vehicles to march on through the wilderness and explore with reliability and confidence. I feel I am starting with one of if not the best platform, a Land Cruiser. I know it will be a slow build so be patient with me. I will do my best with the help of this forum to sit down and strategically plan the install of each particular item with an eye towards future additions and environments.

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser.
Odometer: 129,347
Tires: Nitto Terra Grapplers (Id like either DuraTracs or maybe Cooper S/T Maxx)
Color: Black

As of 10/31/14
-Removed running boards.
-Installed VAIS SL3B (Highly recommend if you got the NAV in your 100.)
-Removed rear seats.
-Replaced plugs and bad alternator at 129k
-Pfran LEDs
-WeatherTech mats

IMG_1797.JPG

Last edited:
Yea the previous owner looks to have really cared for it. Leather is in good shape and paint/exterior has next to nothing as far as blemishes. Houston is great this time of year. Weather is really nice. 70s. Traffic is still bad depending on the time of day. I'd love to live in CO.

I love it here. It's nice having the mountains in the background all the time. It's beautiful in the fall, the trees turn yellow, orange and red. I'm not used to having four seasons.

Are you planning to get mud flaps for the front? It would be a shame damage that nice paint.

Any particular type/brand in mind? website? Do you have them?

As a suggestion, do your build in stages. My stages are as follows:
  1. Suspension, UCA's, diff drop, shocks, TB's and springs.
  2. Rims and tires. Black 17" wheels rapped in 35" BFG M/T's.
  3. 1.75" body lift (made it my self, so don't bother looking for a vendor...) With this setup I have absolutely no rubbing in full compression and did not have to limit my travel with longer bump stops.
  4. Front TJM locker (I already have the factory rear e-locker) and ARB compressor (model CKMTA12) This covers both my locker and all my other air needs.
  5. Gears. Re-geared front and rear diff's AND the transfer case.
  6. Dual Odyssey batteries and isolator.
  7. (pending) Armor. Under carriage, front and rear bumpers (rear will have spare tire, ladder and rack for Hi-Lift which I already have).
  8. (pending) Top rack (I'll make that when time permits).
  9. (pending) Snorkel
  10. (pending) Lighting. Front LED light bar (50") for the rack, proximity LED's for left, right and rear of the rack, LED driving lights for bumper.
  11. (pending) Roof top tent.
  12. (pending) electric cooler and numerous other interior goodies.
Since I'm an engineer, I'm very methodical in how I'm building my rig. Everything has a purpose and the list is in order of practicality (for me at least). Here is how it looks so far...
20120819_182415.jpg

@r2m Sorry for going so off topic but your signature is deeeeeep:hmm: Also beautiful rig! Sitting high and proud.

As a suggestion, do your build in stages. My stages are as follows:
  1. Suspension, UCA's, diff drop, shocks, TB's and springs.
  2. Rims and tires. Black 17" wheels rapped in 35" BFG M/T's.
  3. 1.75" body lift (made it my self, so don't bother looking for a vendor...) With this setup I have absolutely no rubbing in full compression and did not have to limit my travel with longer bump stops.
  4. Front TJM locker (I already have the factory rear e-locker) and ARB compressor (model CKMTA12) This covers both my locker and all my other air needs.
  5. Gears. Re-geared front and rear diff's AND the transfer case.
  6. Dual Odyssey batteries and isolator.
  7. (pending) Armor. Under carriage, front and rear bumpers (rear will have spare tire, ladder and rack for Hi-Lift which I already have).
  8. (pending) Top rack (I'll make that when time permits).
  9. (pending) Snorkel
  10. (pending) Lighting. Front LED light bar (50") for the rack, proximity LED's for left, right and rear of the rack, LED driving lights for bumper.
  11. (pending) Roof top tent.
  12. (pending) electric cooler and numerous other interior goodies.
Since I'm an engineer, I'm very methodical in how I'm building my rig. Everything has a purpose and the list is in order of practicality (for me at least). Here is how it looks so far...
View attachment 1006756

I will assume you will be making your front and rear bumpers since they'll look out of place with the body lift?

@r2m Sorry for going so off topic but your signature is deeeeeep:hmm: Also beautiful rig! Sitting high and proud.

I guess that's why I drive a Land Cruiser! It helps expand my world!
It's all about the dash and what I can fit in there before the death date...

Feel free to check out my bio.

I might. Time vs. money. Sometimes I have more money than time and sometimes I have more time than money.
I've been queuing some of the custom bumper builders on here like BIOR to see if anyone could build a bumper with the amount of adjustment I need for the body lift.

And back to J. Utah's build log...thanks again for the info on the VAIS. Nice rig, keep it up.

So recently I made a template outta cardboard for a bracket/mount for my Blue Sea Fuse block and I put a 125amp disconnect in line to the fuse block.

With some help from a friend we were able to use some scrap metal I had laying around for a decent looking bracket. Im pretty happy with the results. The only accessory running to it right now is my under the hood LED that I put in at the same time. The wires have been cleaned up a bit since the pictures.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421385461.790868.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421385739.180148.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421385848.785930.jpg

I really like that engine bay lighting!
Nothing better than good lighting when trying to trouble shoot an issue at night in the middle of nowhere.

r2m,

Looks great.

More info on the re-geared transfer case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom