Expedition Trailer Design (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got super bored now that the semester is done so I decided to work on a design for a expedition trailer i plan on building within the best couple of years. Basic requirements: 2 week capability and down to 0 degree weather. I plan on building just about everything including the tent which will be canvas, using it for as much education as I can get out of it.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• trailertent frame.pdf
    93.4 KB · Views: 195
  • trailertentcanopy1.pdf
    86.7 KB · Views: 125
  • trailertentcanopy2.pdf
    104.8 KB · Views: 114
  • trailertentcanopy3.pdf
    104.4 KB · Views: 114
trailertent frame.jpg
trailertentcanopy1.jpg
trailertentcanopy2.jpg
trailertentcanopy3.jpg

yeah those MOAB tents are similar to what i have in mind, i like the idea of a larger working area where i can put a Kifaru stove and use the kitchen and such during the winter and not go outside

Something to consider: In bear country you won't want a tent that has been cooked inside of.

I think there are some synthetic fabrics that are more durable and dont have some of the inherent problems of canvas. Perhaps consider a hard sided design for the sleeping area.

I used as wood stove in my tent and loved it...you forget its cold out.

Good luck!

I think there are some synthetic fabrics that are more durable and dont have some of the inherent problems of canvas. Perhaps consider a hard sided design for the sleeping area.

I used as wood stove in my tent and loved it...you forget its cold out.

Good luck!
The good thing with canvas is it holds up better in the wind, which we have a lot of in wyoming. If i can find a synthetic fabric that is strong enough and lighter than canvas i'll look into it, maybe doing certain panels with synthetic, but it all depends on the cost.

The good thing with canvas is it holds up better in the wind, which we have a lot of in wyoming. If i can find a synthetic fabric that is strong enough and lighter than canvas i'll look into it, maybe doing certain panels with synthetic, but it all depends on the cost.

I hear that. I guess another good advantage of the canvas is it's probably more flexible in the extreme cold. The synthetic material on my tent is pliable, but not like canvas.

Look at the Command Post tent made by Camel...it's a bomb shelter. About 275 lbs together, but no single pc. weighs more than 75 lbs. It's 11' x 11', with a stove jack in the roof. If you look around you can find either a very nice used (almost new) for around $1000. I use one tied to the rear of my trailer (I sleep inside it) and it stows inside while traveling. It's great for a long term camping trip 3-4+ days, but not practical overnight.

You can erect it by yourself with some practice, although it's better with two.

Iv'e often thought about building a smaller, lighter frame for the rear of the trailer, and cover it with the same material they build commercial awnings out of (Sunbrella) and leave that monster at home except for the really long trips. It's nice to have somewhere to get changed, clean up, or an area to go into in crappy weather. Even a little bit of a wind break makes a difference.

3 Dog Tents has some fabulous stuff...great guy to deal with.

http://www.3dogcampingusa.com/#sthash.3IA8hYSx.dpbs

Last edited:
Turns out there's a lot of tent fabric that is cheaper than canvas, just need to get samples to find out if its durable enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom