coolant mixture (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm running other than 50/50. I've got a gallon of straight coolant in there, a bottle of water wetter and the rest is distilled water. Its gonna be 25 degrees here at night soon. Am I OK to not freeze?

50/50 with fresh coolant and distilled water is what's recommended. Too much water is not good in extreme cold.

What will be the duration of the sub-freezing temps? 2 hours? 4 hours? I believe you will be fine.... Where I reside, temps are sub freezing for close to 14-16 hours, unless we get another 'polar vortex'... Then it's plug-in-the-block-heater time. I run 50/50, no issues.

I think the answer is no...if you consider the cooling system holds around 4 gallons... you should have a 2 gal coolant and 2 gal distilled water. If you have lesser concentration of coolant than the properties and protection are reduced. Only real way to check is to use one of the coolant checking tools that "float the balls".... half and half is where you want to be.

I think the answer is no...if you consider the cooling system holds around 4 gallons... you should have a 2 gal coolant and 2 gal distilled water. If you have lesser concentration of coolant than the properties and protection are reduced. Only real way to check is to use one of the coolant checking tools that "float the balls".... half and half is where you want to be.

Yeah exactly.
One gallon in a drained system with the rest water is not a sufficient amount in freezing conditions.
I filled mine from dry and I'm thinking I remember around 4 gallons.

What's the recommended mixture during extreme heat?

I'm not sure on the exact mixture. Its been a while. The reason I used more water was to help cooling, since summers are here 110 plus daily. Winters are really mild, lows in the mid 30s. This next few days is supposed to be 30, 25 and 27. Out of the ordinary for sure. I can't do anything about it tonight, I'm out of coolant and all the stores are closed. Its kept in a carport/garage, so that should help. My other car has frost in the am parked right behind the cruiser and the cruiser never has. Well see. I'll do a 50/50 as soon as I can get a few gallons and drain the rad.

I'm no chemical engineer but. 50/50 is the answer....something less with respect to coolant and you have less protection regarding cold temps, you also have less protection regarding corrosion. High concentrations of water vs coolant and you are going to have some corrosion issues. I don't think playing with the mixtures above or below 50/50 will net you you any real gain...and the end result is not really worth it. I don't find value in many of these additives either... The stock FJ60 setup is functional and works well..

Only 100% nice coolant for my cars, if you cant eat and need the money oke, but for the rest just give it proper maintenance.
water = rust
100% coolant:
file.php

Normal and clean:
file.php

Tucson? I think your ok lol. Ps high concentrations of coolant to water lower heat transfer ability of the coolant. Ie less efficient cooling.
More water to coolant may provide a bit better efficiency, probably negligible in a properly sized cooling system.

50/50 is best

Pps water wetter is designed for track cars/bikes that are not allowed to use coolant. Basically a waste of money in anything other than straight water.

Pps water wetter is designed for track cars/bikes that are not allowed to use coolant. Basically a waste of money in anything other than straight water.

I'm going have to totally disagree with this. While it works best with straight water, it still works with a water / glycol mixture. I had a 40 that had a marginal radiator and I was broke. Water wetter allowed me to run the rest of the summer with no overheating issues until I saved up enough money for a real fix. Great stuff.

Here's a link to Redline's product sheet:

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

Last edited:
So you were overheating then you added it... Then it didn't overheat?

Although I respect your fist hand experience with it... I would need to see hard data not published by the manufacturer that it actually lowers operating temps in anything other than water, improper (diluted) coolant ratio, or a broken cooling system.... my point, I cant see a pressurized, properly sized, cooling system with 50/50 coolant needing any snake oils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom